Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Content management

Options
  • 30-04-2009 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hey People,

Newbie on content management
    So sorry in advance for the silly questions :o

A quick question, can someone explain to me exactly what you need the Content Management System (CMS) for??

I was under the impression, you needed it for creating the likes of download sections, and other various functions/facilities on webpages ?
    But, I have been able to set up a Download setion and other webpages without this??

Does it have a specific function or many uses? or is it related to easy management of files etc..

Cheers,
    Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

A content management system has many many uses. I'm using Joomla (http://www.joomla.org/) for a web project at the moment. There are so many components/extensions/plugins/add-ons that do such a variety of things you wouldn't believe. Just google joomla extensions to get a flavour of the sort of free stuff that's available. You'll be amazed (I was anyway)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I think the key with a CMS is it enables you to provide a user friendly way for non-techy folks to manage their content online so I can get on with developing proper web applications rather than spending my day copying and pasting word into a html editor.

The important thing from my side of things is that I want to be absolutely confident in the CMS - the way it handles word files, the way it renders the site and how easy it is to use and so on. Complete control over content while allowing the user to submit almost any kind of content is the aim.

At it's heart a CMS is about getting basic content online. Beyond that you get the modules and add-ons that allows users to publish more than just basic content like rss feeds, calendars, forums etc. The essence being they submit the content to a database and you through the CMS control how it is then displayed on the web.

Trouble is a CMS might not suit my purposes. If every form it allows a user to create is then rendered on the web page in a table then I'm not happy because I want it in a fieldset with a legend, labels and inputs layed out with css. This makes choosing a CMS very important.

Advertisement