Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maryland restaurant waterford

• 30-04-2009 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

any one know what this is ,,, we pass by it and we havent a clue what it is?

:D

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note: Any stupid remarks to this thread will result in a ban! You know full well what I am talking about!

It was a former hotel/pub/restraunt I believe. It looks open and they seem to be doing repair work on it, but I am not sure if it actually is open for business and whats being offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

A judge ruled that they could no longer accept new guests until they performed a major refurb job on the place.

The owner is a well known gentleman in Waterford and is a serial campaigner for defending the reputation of his premises and also the city of waterford.

For such a prominant location, it really could do with being totally renovated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

A judge ruled that they could no longer accept new guests until they performed a major refurb job on the place.

Link? Never knew that myself.

No link I'm afraid...I only know cause I was in the court house when the ruling was given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mr Cheese

o rite i never knew what is was really. <snip>

• Advertisement

I cant help to think this thread was created with a purpose, other then what was said in the first post.

Removed the slanderous comment. You might be new here, so I will leave you be Cheese but do it again and ill just issue a ban as per my earlier warning.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No matter any previous history or court cases its a fact that the place could do with a lick of paint, given how central it is its a disgrace it looks like its falling apart and needs to be sorted along with other places on that street such as the old ESB offices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is anything happening with the ESB offices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Agree with the comments about its appearance. Contrast it to the facade of Sabai and La Palma nearby. Christ, even the Polish shop with graffiti on the window looks better.

Regarding the ESB building, wasn't there something in the local rags about it last week?

Maybe this...
    http://www.waterford-today.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4761&Itemid=10368&ed=467

Id love to see some sort of bye law introduced forcing owners to keep their shop front in "proper order" and for developer to ensure that buildings they own are also kept that way.

• Advertisement

McCann right about something shocker. ;) My own solution would be to turn the building into a fake active office. Clean it up, fix the windows, install some LED lighting and old showroom dummies in Pennys gear. Hey presto! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

mike65 wrote: »
    McCann right about something shocker. ;) My own solution would be to turn the building into a fake active office. Clean it up, fix the windows, install some LED lighting and old showroom dummies in Pennys gear. Hey presto! :p

It's kinda funny when you think the Greens are giving out about this building and at the same time are always objecting to lovely, shiny, brand spanking new buildings being built :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Sully wrote: »
    Mod Note: Any stupid remarks to this thread will result in a ban! You know full well what I am talking about!

hehe i think we all know what yer getting at there dude ;-)

as far as i know they do not serve alcohol anymore, did they loose their license? or not renew or what? i know one of my mates had inquired as to whether they server beer or not as we were planning a random pub crawl to some of the off the beaten track pubs last year however we were told that they dont serve booze in there anymore.. ive never been in there myself, but it does look a wee bit manky from the outside.. prime bit of land down there.. you could do something really nice with the place if you had the money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I think it's sad that the rumours about the place, which are a matter of public record, cannot be reproduced here at the very least.

It's a shame that the penalties imposed by libel laws in Ireland mean that small (media by law) outfits like boards.ie have to resort to restricting speech and publishing far beyond what is actually required by law, such is the price of making a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

merlante wrote: »
    I think it's sad that the rumours about the place, which are a matter of public record, cannot be reproduced here at the very least.

It's a shame that the penalties imposed by libel laws in Ireland mean that small (media by law) outfits like boards.ie have to resort to restricting speech and publishing far beyond what is actually required by law, such is the price of making a mistake.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hotelier-awarded-50000-for-brothel-slur-by-newspaper-56651.html

the public record you speak of. i assume a link to the coverage of the offending article won't land boards in any trouble. if i'm wrong snip away

interesting that when he was awarded the 50,000 he remarked that it was 'money you would put on a horse'. which makes me wonder how rich is this man, and why couldn't he pay for the upkeep of the place?

merlante wrote: »

An absolute pain the rear. Ill have to delete the suggestions about the place, but if your commenting on the court case where the paper was sued - I cant see the problem refering to it. Just nothing stupid that will see the owner or anyone associated sending legal letters to Boards for the comments made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Waynecarr

Heathen wrote: »
    hehe i think we all know what yer getting at there dude ;-)

as far as i know they do not serve alcohol anymore, did they loose their license? or not renew or what? :)

I heard they never had one in the first place much to the embarassment of the authorities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

They were doing some sort of repairs to the façade on the Catherine Street side when I walked past today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

I had the pleasure of dealing with the proprietor of the Maryland in a supply capacity to his licensed premises throughout the 90's.
    I cant honestly say it was all roses, but In my opinion, the gentleman in question is just that, a gentleman. A great story teller, an old style rogue and again, in my humble opinion, one of Waterford's great characters.

If you ever need a tip for the pony's, V is the man. He is blessed with an encyclopedic knowledge of the turf and from what I can remember, also blessed with good luck at the track.
    Long may he continue to reign.

These guys will be missed when their gone. I don't see many real characters in the same vein any more.
    R.i.p. Sonny Cummins and Tom Meagher.

Bring back the birch:D:D

If he knows the nags get him to post on this thread (need all the help I can get) ;)

• Advertisement

I'm never sure about any of my posts tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Elmo wrote: »
    Really needs to be done up, real 70s looking and dilapiadated are we all talking of the same place? Anyone in the place recently is it even open, I always assumed it was closed down.

0000c3f4-314.jpg

Not sure about this post!

That penthouse or whatever it is at the top of the building needs to be demolished and a proper pitched roof reinstated so it fits in with the character of the street. The awful stone cladding on the front needs to go as well, the building has all the worst characteristics of 70's design covering up what could actually be quite a nice building (the interior decor presumably would need to be entirely gutted as well)

Mod Note

Sorry folks, we are not allowed discuss any ongoing legal cases. A bit like how the papers have similar restrictions but they can report on it as its carefully reviewed before publication. Seeing as Boards is instant and live, and we don't review your posts before publication, we have been instructed recently to stop discussions on any ongoing legal case. This is required by law. Sorry, not any of our call!

Ill get it added to the charter later. So lets move away from that discussion please, thanks. :)

Mod Note

Way to uncomfortable, joking aside, with some of the latest posts so it probably is best I just lock this instead. Hate doing it guys, but we have to be careful. Despite what many think, you can't say and do what you want online behind a screen name and think all is well. Both yours and Boards asses are on the line and lads, I just love ye to much to let that happen! ;)

Shall be re-opened after the court case im sure.

Topic Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement