Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with ex-landlord

Options
  • 30-04-2009 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi All,

Sorry for the extra long post but am hoping I can get some advice from you. My lease is due to expire today but our landlord had asked us to leave 2 weeks early due to him wanting to redecorate and occupy the house asap. We agreed to this and off we went like idiots. Now that we have left and given him back his keys, hes changed his tone. We had agreed the deposit was to be taken as the last months rent (1-30 April). We moved out and gave him back the keys on the 13th. At this point bills worth €350 had come in. They are in the landlords name (tax reasons) so we at that point said we would leave as is, let him have the full months rent and leave him with outstanding bills. Considering we had paid deposit of €1250 originally and he later dropped rent to €1200.. By my calculations, the time we were in the house would have meant we owed him €542 in rent. This leaves him with over €700 for any outstanding bills etc (which I personally think is too mych).

Anyway, the problem now lies that he has suddenly decided we owe him money for these bills. He has emailed me, text me and rang me to say this. I have asked him to deal with my partner on this because I'm not comfortable dealing with him but he avoids my partners calls. I dont know why hes targeting me in this but I'm currently pregnant and the stress is really getting to me. Last night he text me saying he will be sitting outside my job tomorrow and I better have his money. Now today, he called my workplace looking for me. He wont answer his phone to my partner or private number yet he tells me that we're avoiding him (I've seen my partner try call him).

He isn't registered and isn't paying the relevant taxes (which he admitted to us) but I feel we dont have a leg to stand on legally because we just trusted in him sticking to verbal agreements. I don't want to go to the PRTB because it takes forever and I dont want to screw him over and get him caught re tax. He was always so nice until we moved out, I dont know what to do here. I feel like Im being harrassed.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Contact the Gardai and report him for harassment.
    Contact the PRTB and report that he hasn't repaid your deposit.
    Contact the Revenue and claim back your rent allowance.

You have done nothing wrong and have done all you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Totally agree with PaulW - you did nothing wrong except be a little foolish to trust him. When he calls the next time inform him that you are going to contact the Garda, Revenue and PRTB (which you must do) and I'm sure it'll be the last you hear from him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lorri_L

Well I actually managed to get through to threshold who told me to text him saying if he wants to take it further he will need to contact PRTB. I did so and he has started ringing and texting me. I've now told him to go to the PRTB and if he calls my workplace or shows up at it I will call Gardai. Hopefully he gets the point.Hes now saying to me that we never paid rent in March (I handed him the money myself!) and that we upped and left a month early without telling him (I have emails he sent me confirming us leaving and it was also 13th when we left at his request)!

I'm beginning to think its more on the nutter side of things than just being mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Make sure you have a paper trail for all those transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Good to hear that you're standing up for yourself.

Hopefully he will get the message.

Make sure you get all your details together, and as much as you can (dates, times, amounts, how things were paid (cheque, cash), etc.

Don't let him get away with this. He has no right to treat you like he is, especially when you're pregnant. He should be listening to you, and dealing with your OH.

Now it'll be fun for him to try and deal with the PRTB (especially if he wasn't registered and isn't tax compliant). :D

Well done!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Never mind the prtb, If an ex landlord harassed my gf like that especially if she was pregnant It would be the last thing he would ever do.

but going the legal route, screw him to the wall for everything. Tax,harassment etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lorri_L wrote: »
    I've now told him to go to the PRTB and if he calls my workplace or shows up at it I will call Gardai.
    Why wait? Ring the Gardai now.

Advertisement