Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

having two sims for the same number

• 30-04-2009 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to have two sims for the same number? I've just bought a new (to me) car that has a built-in handsfree kit. The car came with the phone for the kit. I could swap my own sim into the phone in the hands-free kit each time i get into the car but that would be tedious. What i would like is to have a second sim that i could leave in the hands-free kit. I realise i couldnt have both phones on at the same time. Is it possible to get a copy of my sim card for this purpose?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You used to be able to do it (unofficially of course) by brute forcing the encryption used in the sim. That encryption has been upgraded now afaik.

Have a google for sim cloning. You might be lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

thanks for the info. It seems like this wont be possible. I may just take out the existing hands-free and replace it with a bluetooth one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Or else just get a sim with a different number and put that one in the car. Then you can re-direct your phone calls to this number from your mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭-Freebird-

2 SIMS with the same number, you'll find it hard to achieve that... Would be handy though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Some operators in Europe actually offer a service like that. They give you two SIMs with the same IMSI. You can only receive calls on a single SIM at any moment. You will receive incoming calls on the SIM that was last active. Don't think this service is available in Ireland though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Get a different sim for the carkit, have it on the same network as your own sim and when in car divert calls to carkit and won't cost you a penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    Get a different sim for the carkit, have it on the same network as your own sim and when in car divert calls to carkit and won't cost you a penny.

How does this work of course its going to cost you money.

Depending on the tariff and network you are on, diverts may not cost you anything. It most cases their is a charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

As Davy pointed out both numbers must be on same network and if on prepay you get free calls to your own network subject to 20euro topup. Bill pay you have to be talk300, Pc200 or the special O2 tariff plan.

Doesn't cost a penny for diverting and is easy and effective solution to the OP's issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

thanks again for all the info but i've decided to just get a Jabra SP5050 Bluetooth Visor Car Kit instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

Davy wrote: »

They may have worked in 2002!,which would have been the last time "Comp128 v1 GSM" cards would have been used by irish operators!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-187473.html

Im not surprised then then that its mr ****/phonevolts behind trying to flog these off,considering 99/100 won't know any better when they buy it off him!:o

It was just an example iw as giving, didnt mean to purchase that exact one. Hence the other like, saying it doesn't always work. I dont have one to guarantee if it will or wont work

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Do any of the networks now support this?

Dad got a new car but it has an old CARK 91 built in.
    It would prob be cheaper to get a twin sim and put it in an old 6210 I have lying around rather than trying to change the car kit itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

i would call up the networks for the laugh to see if they could send out a second one. i have a dedicated car phone this would be useful for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Irish networks still don't support having the same mobile number on two different sims.

A suggestion would be to see if you could get a mobile number one digit away from your own, e.g. mobile number 1 = 086 1234567, mobile number 2 = 086 1234568.

Advertisement