Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nct: slide sip / alignment test. WTF.

• 30-04-2009 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

hi lads

mondeo failed the nct this morning, not too surprised really.. I never fixed that ding at the back yet, the wrong part came in. [for the knocking noise]

anyhooo

it passed everything but the side slip...blah blah test

whats this in engrish?

for results: n/d came up, so nothing..

can anyone shed light on this?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭8vjohn

n/d is not done.
    The knocking noise is a suspension part I'm guessing?
    If anything is gone in the suspension then the alignment test will not be done as it will be innacurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Side slip means that the wheels are not aligned properly. Could be front or rear. Your car is not driving in a straight line, I think the limit is 14m/km for front & 18m/km in the rear, that means your car travels 14m (or 18m) sideways for every 1km you drive! Some people would call this "crabbing" as a crab walks kind of side ways when going forward.

Not sure how to write it in Engrish though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Side slip just means your wheels are basically not parallel. If you have a knocking noise from the rear, this could indicate a problem with your rear suspension subframe bushings. If the problem is up front, it could be the same problem with your front subframe bushings or your wheel alignment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

So, you knew there was a problem with the suspension (see http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055533758) and that it needed new parts, but put it in for an NCT anyway, and are now surprised that it failed? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I had a part ordered [well a few] from my ford dealer and they all turned out to be wrong.

so i had no time to get another put on before the test.

this alignment failed for both front and rear.

the knocking is only in the rear, I can get this fixed up once I order the new part but I am wondering if this is related to the fail or what.

Its odd that is passed every other test.

Is this to do with tracking or balancing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Get a 4 wheel alignment done, i.e. tracking for the front & rear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Yes, looks like tracking and balancing, don't think the last owner did $hit to the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭8vjohn

As I said above, if there is a suspension component faulty they will not do an alignment test!
    This does not mean to say that your alignment is out, but you should get it tracked anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Yes, looks like tracking and balancing, don't think the last owner did $hit to the car.

Nothing to do with balancing, its either tracking or a damaged or worn suspension part. Any place with a proper 4 wheel aligner should be able to sort it out. Get them to check first for damage or wear tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

Side slip is basically tracking. Dont bother doing anything until you get the worn or damaged parts replaced, then get a 4 wheel alignment done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Seen a fair few cars fail on this, in a lot of cases it just means the

rear brake shoes needed adjusting or replacing. To be honest its a bit

vague. As a matter of interest is your hand brake travelling, as in

going 3/4 or along way back when you put it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Muckie wrote: »
    Seen a fair few cars fail on this, in a lot of cases it just means the

rear brake shoes needed adjusting or replacing. To be honest its a bit

vague. As a matter of interest is your hand brake travelling, as in

going 3/4 or along way back when you put it on.

WHAT...?

Side Slip is tracking - 4 wheel alignment. Has nothing whatever to do with the brakes!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

I know it sounds mad! Brought a car in for an NCT. Car tester in the

center, said it failed "the slip-slide test" he explained that it was the rear

brake shoes that need adjusting/replacing !. Another car i brought in a

month later failed the same test, this time it was rear-bushings.

So ask the tester if your car fails on this.

Advertisement