Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice/suggestions on choosing a sander

Options
  • 30-04-2009 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

My current sander is a 4" skil wedged in a vice so am looking for an upgrade.

dont have room for a big floor mounted one so am considering either a small desk belt or disc one or even a combination of disc and belt such as http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J0Z1DW?smid=A4ZSBADJP7DJM&tag=nextag-tools-mp-delta-20&linkCode=asn

The velcro discs seem good in so far as they dont 'travel' like a badly fitted belt

Can u get discs/belts for doing Alu/Brass/Cu?

Good dust collection fittings ( in so far as it goes) is important.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

No comment on the sander,don't have one.But have to note the mark up on McQ's price compared to the record one. Even at the recommended price it's €70 cheaper in the UK.Sorry for the off topic,they wonder why we shop abroad.

dubtom wrote: »
    No comment on the sander,don't have one.But have to note the mark up on McQ's price compared to the record one. Even at the recommended price it's €70 cheaper in the UK.Sorry for the off topic,they wonder why we shop abroad.

I agree 100%, with a fist full of the Queens shillings in the North....

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Hi Carlow,recordpower are doing demos in the Capel st store next weekend,16/17th. Might be worth seeing what deal u could get before heading north.....

I have the delta equivalent of the smaller one,it works fine but is v noisy.

Aerosol,you use too fine a wood for sitting your machines on,shame on you:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Aye,its a nice chunk alright.It was a cut out of kitchen counter that I recycled.It makes a handy shelf and lid for my genny till I find a more fitting use for it;)

aerosol wrote: »
    Hi Carlow,recordpower are doing demos in the Capel st store next weekend,16/17th. Might be worth seeing what deal u could get before heading north.....

I have the delta equivalent of the smaller one,it works fine but is v noisy.
    thanks for the info: will go in there for a looksee: is Ronnie still there? I go to Blanch mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I recently bought some axminster sanders. They have pretty decent dust extraction, they're pretty solidly built and they're pretty cheap. I find that a disk sander and a bobbin sander are the most useful benchtop sanders.

Boatbuilder: Thanks, can u PM me what u bought

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

• Advertisement

If you really want to go cheap Carlow52,this sander from lidle is actually very good.It has an added attachment for securing to a bench and the spare belts are ultra cheap.I just put mine in a vice and it does the job nicely. Even if your not looking for a belt sander it worth getting one. Sorry,I know,completely wrong type to what your looking for but it's so good for the price it's a shame to pass it up.

Thanks Boatbuilder
    Thanks DT: I have 2 of this type and put them in the vice as u mention.

Must say the disc sander Boatbuilder got looks v good for the money.

I have a drill mounted version and the fact that the disc does not 'travel' like on the belt sanders is an attraction.
    Thanks again.

Advertisement