Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info about UCD for Postgrad

Options
  • 30-04-2009 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi all,

Starting in UCD in September, doing the PGDE (H.dip). Anyway i'm not at all familiar with UCD just wondering can anyone give me any general info. about UCD and where to live, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Have you got your practice school yet? If it isn't near UCD you need to decide do you want to be near the school or near UCD or in the middle. I think UCD PGDE lectures are on in the afternoon so if you are living near UCD and your school is on the other side of the city you may have to be over there for 9 o' clock.

The number 10 and 11B buses go to ucd from town. Also the 46 and 84(?) pass the front gate on the stillorgan road and the 11 passes the clonskeagh gate (back gate?). The 17 goes from blackrock dart station through ucd to rathfarnham and beyond i think. If you are looking for accomodation try www.daft.ie

dinner in the restaurant is about €6 i think although if your school is far away you won't have time to eat :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

hi is this for secondary teaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭melbourne

God help you mate, the pgde course seems to attract serious knobs, but anyway as advised before sort out a secondary school close to UCD if you plan on going to lectures (2pm), but more important for you would to be close to the school that you will be doing your teaching practice in. That will reduce your commute time in the morning when traffic is worst. Are you driving? That will give you more scope. Accomodation is not a problem at the moment in Dublin as alot of our visitors from Eastern Europe have headed for Holyhead, check out Daft.ie, there are also deals to be done on rent so don't be afraid to haggle, don't sweat the course, its not as bad as they go on about, if your used to doing a bit of real work (unlike most teachers) then you will be right. It may well be worth coming up and getting a place in July or August before the usual mob of students come up but then again there is alot of accomadation available.
    If you are sorting out a school for your teaching practice do it soon, come July or August the schools will be like ghost towns and all you get is an answering machine, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭CMBT

Thanks for all that info people. Ya its for secondary school teaching. Haven't sorted out a school yet, have tried a few places but they prefer to give it to former students which is a bit of pain since I didn't go to school in Dublin.Don't think i'll be driving so I do hope that I can get a school close by to UCD otherwise i'll be up the creek without a paddle.

anyway cheers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭melbourne

Don't worry about the past pupils thing, there is only going to be so many of them, most of my course was made up of people from the country(most teachers are culchies) so thats nothing to worry about. They all got the hours they needed working in Dublin schools. There are dozens of schools within 3 miles of UCD, might be worth telling them your into extra curricular stuff, they go for that in a big way. Don't make a big deal of it, its just another year, make sure to only do the minimum hours in school if you can, don't do lesson plans for extra classes, I have a list as long as my arm on how to the play the game with it, if you want any advice over the summer pm me, I'd be glad to help as it can be a stressful time, if your young then its even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

CMBT wrote: »
    Hi all,

Starting in UCD in September, doing the PGDE (H.dip). Anyway i'm not at all familiar with UCD just wondering can anyone give me any general info. about UCD and where to live, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Have a look over at the Teaching & Lecturing forum as there is a fair bit there about the PGDE in UCD:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=621

Advertisement