Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the imovie equivelant for building websites

Options
  • 30-04-2009 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi all
    I want to setup a relatively simple website for myself.
    ( have searched here but no real answers to my case )
    I understand the graphic concepts and some basic rules etc.
    its more of a web based brochure i will be designing.
    I am on mac and its definately WYSiWYG I am after as I know little about coding html/css. So whats the imovie equivelant software.

I will be getting cheap/basic hosting and updating the content/images etc on this site regularly enough.

thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

iweb is what your after for mac but i'd recommend dreamweaver if you can get your hands on it....

http://www.apple.com/ilife/iweb/

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

Jees! iweb was under my nose all along.
    thanks drunkmonkey.

i hear ya on dreamweaver.

Hmm. I will have a fair amount of images on the site so having sussed out iWeb it seems that its coding is not the most efficient so that loading of pages may be slow enough.

does this point me towards dreamweaver even more so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

Dreamweaver is just another glorified html editor as is iWeb. You're going to have to encounter html and css at some point with both, unless you're using the WYSIWYG editor, which can lead to high levels of buggy tables being created.

You say you're going to have high levels of images, well why not download coppermine image gallery and upload it to your webserver? Or even just install wordpress and download an image gallery plugin? By what you're saying, it seems you're just trying to make things difficult for yourself. You have no knowledge in web programming which is why I'd recommend avoiding it at all costs unless you want a malformed website. Either that or get a book or two on html/css/php/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

There isn't really an iMovie for making your own website, iWeb doesn't really cut it. The problem is that the technology the web is built on is still kind of moving rapidly and and so software has a tough time keeping up.

The best thing I would recommend would be to set up Wordpress with a nice theme and modify that. It's one of the easiest ways to get a professional looking site up & running quickly.

• Advertisement

Wordpress & coppermine look interesting. not exactly download and install but could be the way to go.
    i am not planning on a load of images as in a photographers website per say.
    or as a source for uploading a pile of them.

still the two softwares above are an interesting aspect to web design that i will look at.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

If you use Wordpress.com then it's more expensive but it will handle all the hosting for you and you don't need to install it or mess around. You can then pay an extra price for adding premium themes, getting a domain etc...

Not the cheapest route, but still reasonable, and certainly less hassle that installing it yourself.

I seem to be drawn to rapidweaver.
    have downloaded it and looking at it it seems good. so away we go.
    the more you think about a nice website the trickier it is.

thanks for feedback
    p

Advertisement