Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the world a mostly good place or a mostly bad place ?

• 30-04-2009 12:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭

I would just like to know if most people were forced to choose whether they would choose "mostly bad" or "mostly good" ?

I do not really want to go into to much detail for fear of influencing peoples opinions.

Thanks !

Is the World a mostly Good place or a mostly bad place ? 12 votes

Mostly Bad Place
    0% 0 votes
    Mostly Good Place
    100% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

wow, good thread.

I think...its a painful misery soaked hell hole. Kind of. There seems to be a positive element, maybe one day we can lift ourselves out of the mire of suffering we endure in this physical reality by becoming post physical. We have that potential imo. But for now the world is mostly a random, cycle of stupid and great ideas, humorous yet tragic at the same time, mostly a thankless struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

I don't like these threads because it implies the world has a concrete persona(for lack of a better word) of good or evil or in this watered down case of "mostly good" or "mostly bad". The world is not black and white. It's not mostly good or mostly bad, nor are people.
    This world is a giant puddle of grey. Good and Bad are just a by product of it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

If we are talking subjectively then this thread is moot. If we are talking objectively then there should be a 3rd option being "neither"

Good and Bad do not exist. They are principles born out of circumstance. For every event that you view as bad there will be a possible scenario where it could also be viewed as good.

well there is the argument that nothing is objectively good or bad, just subjective. But subjective experiences are important to us. If you were to quantify what peoples experiences of the world were, you wouldn't necessarily get a 50/50 result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

BJC wrote: »
    I don't like these threads because it implies the world has a concrete persona(for lack of a better word) of good or evil or in this watered down case of "mostly good" or "mostly bad". The world is not black and white. It's not mostly good or mostly bad, nor are people.
    This world is a giant puddle of grey. Good and Bad are just a by product of it imo.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

It's getting worse imo, because of inequality and individualism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭dreamlogic

blinding wrote: »
    I would just like to know if most people were forced to choose whether they would choose "mostly bad" or "mostly good" ?

I do not really want to go into to much detail for fear of influencing peoples opinions.
    It is interesting that you think people would be influenced or likely to change their minds on such a question at the last minute so to speak :)
    (Or maybe you said this for some other reason.... I don't know, I'm still fairly new here myself so what do I know :) )

Faced with 2 possible answers I don't know which answer I'd choose, forced or not.
    It's the only world I know so I have nothing to compare it against.
    So I'd go for the neutral option if it was there. Or maybe some other answer if it was there ... It's one of those questions that could have many possible answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

It is mostly both

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

dreamlogic wrote: »
    It is interesting that you think people would be influenced or likely to change their minds on such a question at the last minute so to speak :)
    (Or maybe you said this for some other reason.... I don't know, I'm still fairly new here myself so what do I know :) )

Faced with 2 possible answers I don't know which answer I'd choose, forced or not.
    It's the only world I know so I have nothing to compare it against.
    So I'd go for the neutral option if it was there. Or maybe some other answer if it was there ... It's one of those questions that could have many possible answers.
    I thought that the neutral option would be too easy of a cop out so thats why I left it out.

At the moment I think that it is too difficult to quantify either "good" or "bad" and that is why people are being reluctant to give their opinion.

We can imagine better worlds. Ideas may not be real but ideas have real effects. We can live in imagined realities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭dreamlogic

We can imagine better worlds. Ideas may not be real but ideas have real effects. We can live in imagined realities.
    Well there is that yeah. I took the question literally.
    If the question had been something like: "Is this the best of all possible worlds?" then my answer to that would probably be No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Hi,

Its what you make of it. Say your walking down the road and it starts to rain and you get soaked, you could think, screw you world or you could enjoy being at one with nature. Suppose some cheeky youths shout at you from across the road, you could think what a kip of a world we live in or you could just realise that there only having fun. Could go on all night with examples like this...

Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Affable wrote: »
    individualism.

Can somebody tell me what is so terrible about individualism, I never heard the term until a few days ago and people seem to be throwing it around like its an awful thing. The opposite would be herd mentality yes?

On topic, I always think that such broad general questions only reflect your own perception of the world. Who could make such a conclusion about the world having seen so little of it? Good and bad things happen in everyone's life, in fact they occur as pairs of opposites in almost everything. It is your perception of these that dictate your answer, and reveal no insight into the actual question asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

There's wisdom in the saying "the world is what you make it"

grasshopa wrote: »
    Can somebody tell me what is so terrible about individualism, I never heard the term until a few days ago and people seem to be throwing it around like its an awful thing. The opposite would be herd mentality yes?

On topic, I always think that such broad general questions only reflect your own perception of the world. Who could make such a conclusion about the world having seen so little of it? Good and bad things happen in everyone's life, in fact they occur as pairs of opposites in almost everything. It is your perception of these that dictate your answer, and reveal no insight into the actual question asked.
    Maybe I should have asked

"Is your world mostly good or mostly bad"

Thanks for your contribution and to all other contributers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 Manuk

To be honest I agree with the people who say that the world is neither 'good' nor 'bad', it just is, and good/bad are merely subjective concepts.

BUT... having said that, in your question you did say if you are forced to pick one, so I went with mostly good. My initial instinct was to go with mostly bad, but then I thought about it for a while and decided that, whilst the bad in it is very loud and obvious and attracts lots of attention, it is only loud and obvious because it is bad, which therefore means that it happens against a backdrop of relative goodness. I think most (though not all) people are at least well-intentioned if left in a neutral frame of mind, and it is only because of external factors that people behave in a way that is 'bad' (though of course psychopaths are an exception to this idea).

That's only if I'm forced to choose, though. Generally, I think humanity is destined for self-destruction regardless of morality.

I will be honest I have not actually voted myself because when I attempt to vote I am always drawn to vote yes as I do not want to be negative or bring negativity upon other observers of the poll.

Also I just cannot decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭mewmoo

Sort of a "is the glass half full, or half empty" type of question really.

No definite answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

War.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement