Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 120Mbps BB coming...

Options
  • 30-04-2009 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

According to the guys over at Silicon Republic

I wonder how readily available it will be to the normal user.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Deadly, but they'll probably stick some silly 40gig cap on it or something.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Deadly, but they'll probably stick some silly 40gig cap on it or something.

Brilliant news! blu-rays on demand!(jking!) 40gig?? its currently 250gig+, why would they lower it?

david7536 wrote: »
    Brilliant news! blu-rays on demand! 40gig?? its currently 250gig+, why would they lower it?

250+?

Source?

250+?

Source?

source=me, downloading ~ that monthly and got calls about it only the months i went over 250.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I imagine that there will be new pricing structure's and the unlimited download T&C's will be adjusted
    120m/b what happens when we run out of internet to look at?

• Advertisement

source=me, downloading ~ that monthly and got calls about it only the months i went over 250.

Well, you're not the policy maker. They don't specify an actual limit - other than specifying an arbitrary value in their fair usage policy.

My service was limited for downloading about 50 gigs a few months back for a month. Given that they don't specify a limit, then it's entirely at their own discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

My service was limited for downloading about 50 gigs a few months back for a month. Given that they don't specify a limit, then it's entirely at their own discretion.

Were you on the 3MB/6MB product?

The reason I ask is the 10Mbps and 20Mbps were listed as unlimited since the most recent upgrades. I agree about the discretionary aspect of it however. But I'm sure UPC will realise the futility about lowering the caps if they want to sell the product.

I have a feeling that this will only be available to SMEs for the initial period though, seeing as it was announced at a Chamber of Commerce do..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

UPC already have this in the Netherlands, here is how the pricing looks:
    http://www.upc.nl/internet/

60mb/6mb €60.50
    120mb/10mb €80.50

Interestingly if you look at their slower/cheaper products and compare them with UPC Ireland, you see that UPC Ireland are actually slightly cheaper*, so the above prices for the 60 and 120 mb products should be possible for upc.ie

* However it looks like upc.nl are cheaper when you combine them with TV,DVR,phone etc.

Funny thing the article says it should be rolled out by mid 2010, which is actually a slip, it was supposed to be before end of 2009.

When they have this in place No ISP in ireland will be able to compete with there Speed Vs Price.

I could see a time when UPC 120Mbs would be in and around the same price as an Eircom 24Mb.

Great news for ireland, now people can see that UPC Europe are not the same NTL jokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I wonder will this apply to the areas they're upgrading at the moment i.e. the new UPC BB areas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Jev/N wrote: »
    I wonder will this apply to the areas they're upgrading at the moment i.e. the new UPC BB areas?
    It wouldn't make any sense for upc to put in old cable instead of new it should include new areas

Well, you're not the policy maker. They don't specify an actual limit - other than specifying an arbitrary value in their fair usage policy.

Correct, im not a senior manager/policy maker for UPC :rolleyes:
    I dont think it is as arbitrary as you think but i cant prove this, i only have my own experience to go by. If you were limited for 50gigs on the 10 or 20Mbit packages then it must have been a mistake! I know people downing 150+ a month for the past 12 months with no consequence.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It wouldn't make any sense for upc to put in old cable instead of new it should include new areas

These high speeds are made possible by using DOCSIS 3, which uses channel bonding.

DOCSIS 3 operates over the same coax and fibre cables that DOCSIS 1 operates over. In order to upgrade to DOCSIS 3 they only need to replace the modem in your home and the DOCSIS equipment at the node. The cable upgrades that they have been doing has been to build an excellent quality core network that will make it easy for them to upgrade to even higher speeds in future.

Were you on the 3MB/6MB product?

The reason I ask is the 10Mbps and 20Mbps were listed as unlimited since the most recent upgrades. I agree about the discretionary aspect of it however. But I'm sure UPC will realise the futility about lowering the caps if they want to sell the product.

I have a feeling that this will only be available to SMEs for the initial period though, seeing as it was announced at a Chamber of Commerce do..

Nope, I was with the 10mbps service.

I dont think it is as arbitrary as you think but i cant prove this, i only have my own experience to go by. If you were limited for 50gigs on the 10 or 20Mbit packages then it must have been a mistake! I know people downing 150+ a month for the past 12 months with no consequence.

Well, considering there was a huge thread here on boards from people who were also throttled - I'd say that it was.

In saying that - it appears to be OK for the last few months, so it was probably only a temporary test that they were doing.

What did they say to you on the phone? Did they threaten to cancel/throttle your service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

This is great news but clearly a business offering.

Its good to know the network is at least capable of it though :)

Well, considering there was a huge thread here on boards from people who were also throttled - I'd say that it was.

In saying that - it appears to be OK for the last few months, so it was probably only a temporary test that they were doing.

What did they say to you on the phone? Did they threaten to cancel/throttle your service?

Ive read that thread and all evidence points to area specific and time specific throttling, not at all linked to download amount as far as i can see.

They just told me to download less or they would be forced to cancel service.

Back on topic! I think this will be available to anyone in an enabled area as it is in the netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the fair usage policy (FUP) limit on the 10mbps and 20mbps packages is 250gb per month which includes data downloaded plus data uploaded.

anyone ging over that limit gets a letter from NTL/UPC asking them to not do it (I still have mine at home, I'll scan it and post it later if you don't believe me) or they risk either being upgraded to the (undocumented) "extreme" package for twice the price, or disconnected, at UPC's discretion without notice.

they don't throttle for going over anything, although they do appear to be throttling P2P traffic during peak times in the evenings, which is fair enough IMHO.

they made an announcement last year when they rolled out the Dutch service that they would have it rolled out to 'all UPC territories' by the end of 2009, but I honestly didn't think it would include Ireland, so I'm well chuffed.

I know I've always been a loud voice in the NTL knocking brigade, but if they really can do this then fair fcuk's to them and I'll be getting myself an I Luv UPC t-shirt printed up pronto.

assuming they increase the FUP five fold to allow us to make the most of it. :)

looks like I might get to fulfill my lifetime's dream of joining the EZTV seedfarm after all! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

dlofnep, you are the only person I've seen on this forum who's ever mentioned getting a letter at 60gb.
    The fact that everyone else suggested they got it at in or around 250, starts to lean away from your experience a bit.
    The fact that I usually go well above 100gb and always have does also.
    It's DL and UL so maybe you were uploading a lot.

The fact that you're reffering to possible throtteling as proof of this confuses me completely.
    UPC throttling has nothing to do with how much you're downloading.

BT yes, as they throttle your speed down to nothing if you go over 100gb.
    UPC it seems ask you to cut back if you go over about twice that.
    They don't throttle your speed if you go over the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I honestly dont get what the problem is with the UPC cap? It seems to commenly come into effect at 250gb which blows every other ISP out of the water by a long shot but still people demand more?

250gb is a huge amount of downloads per month, hell its nearly 2 full laptops worth in 30 days like? Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

(when i say gift horse i mean in terms of price vs cap/speed)

• Advertisement

hightower1 wrote: »
    I honestly dont get what the problem is with the UPC cap? It seems to commenly come into effect at 250gb which blows every other ISP out of the water by a long shot but still people demand more?

250gb is a huge amount of downloads per month, hell its nearly 2 full laptops worth in 30 days like? Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

(when i say gift horse i mean in terms of price vs cap/speed)

But my laptop has a 500gig drive :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

hrm...120Mb + some sort of AUP or 24Mb no contention no cap service...

120Mb down would be ****ing awesome tho..no mention of upload speed?

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    dlofnep, you are the only person I've seen on this forum who's ever mentioned getting a letter at 60gb.
    The fact that everyone else suggested they got it at in or around 250, starts to lean away from your experience a bit.
    The fact that I usually go well above 100gb and always have does also.
    It's DL and UL so maybe you were uploading a lot.

The fact that you're reffering to possible throtteling as proof of this confuses me completely.
    UPC throttling has nothing to do with how much you're downloading.

BT yes, as they throttle your speed down to nothing if you go over 100gb.
    UPC it seems ask you to cut back if you go over about twice that.
    They don't throttle your speed if you go over the limit

Firstly, I never stated I received a letter. I stated that I was throttled.

Secondly, bold text is so 1995.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

1331766049.png

That is my best result I like my net fast I would love 120mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Sounds sore did anybody else witness the incident?

Secondly, bold text is so 1995.

More likely to be contention at peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Never said you did recieve a letter.
    In fact you said this.

So basically you felt that your BB was throttled due to your downloading.
    It wasn't but you jumped to conclussions and fell flat on your face.

Wait 'a go.

That worked out well for you.

P.S: And the bold was simply due to the settings on the pc I ws using at the time.
    You stick with the condescending attitude though, and ignore the fact that you were completely wrong.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

cisk wrote: »

Agreed, i have never heard of any UPC customer being throttled.
    They ether upgrade or disconnect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

bk wrote: »
    These high speeds are made possible by using DOCSIS 3, which uses channel bonding.

DOCSIS 3 operates over the same coax and fibre cables that DOCSIS 1 operates over. In order to upgrade to DOCSIS 3 they only need to replace the modem in your home and the DOCSIS equipment at the node. The cable upgrades that they have been doing has been to build an excellent quality core network that will make it easy for them to upgrade to even higher speeds in future.

euroDOCSIS 3.0 BK - 8Mhz channel bonding as opposed to 6Mhz....next wave of certification in Cablelabs should see more CPE and CMTS gear too...Nice to see little vendors do well do - SERIOUS bun fights between Broadcom (BCMxxx range) and TI (puma range) too driving chipset development which is super.

• Advertisement

cisk wrote: »

No, it wasn't contention. The torrents would max out at a specific rate (think it was about 25 or 30KB/s - can't remember off the top of my head). It was certainly throttled. Contention would have varied results of bandwidth with torrents - When your torrents max out at a specific peak, and never go beyond it - it's most certainly throttling.

Advertisement