Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 120Mbps BB coming...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

hightower1 wrote: »
    Agreed, i have never heard of any UPC customer being throttled.
    They ether upgrade or disconnect you.

Well then, you obviously missed this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055132322&highlight=throttle

I was categorically throttled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    So basically you felt that your BB was throttled due to your downloading.
    It wasn't but you jumped to conclussions and fell flat on your face.

No, I didn't jump to conclusions. Where is your evidence to state that I wasn't throttled for downloading a specific amount less than your 250MB? I called them about it at the time - and while I was certainly throttled, none of the agents were aware of it - it wasn't until I spoke to a manager that I got somewhere and my service was immediately resumed to normal rates for torrents.
    You stick with the condescending attitude though, and ignore the fact that you were completely wrong.:rolleyes:

Once again, you have no proof that I was wrong. It is your "opinion".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Can you keep the throttling discussion to that thread, please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Fair play to UPC, I expected an upgrade, but 120Mb is insane! On the 6Mb package at the moment, hope I'm on 20Mb by next year at no extra cost, that would be savage!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

kaimera wrote: »
    hrm...120Mb + some sort of AUP or 24Mb no contention no cap service...

120Mb down would be ****ing awesome tho..no mention of upload speed?
    Should be inline with the nedtherlands package so should be 10mb upload

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yeah, saw that 120mbps down 10mbps up would be savage. :D

balls, now i have to re-think my whole network. never bothered moving past 802.11g wifi and 10/100 ethernet as I never actually needed it. oh well, got to move with the times though, I never thought my Ethernet connection would ever be my broadband bottleneck!

I'm pretty sure UPC have been throttling torrents during peak times though, and I've seen other threads suggesting the same, but I don't think UPC have confirmed it yet and I don't think it has anything to do with overall usage, just them doing their best to keep the network usable for the majority during peak times, which as I said is reasonable imho.

EDIT: here's the (slightly crinkly trodden on) UPC letter in case anyone missed it.

th_SCAN0027.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

just out of interest will the fibre network be only rolled out in Dublin in 2010 or other cities (Galway?)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

should be step by step with dublin the biggest market it should get it first then cork galway etc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

crawler wrote: »
    euroDOCSIS 3.0 BK - 8Mhz channel bonding as opposed to 6Mhz....next wave of certification in Cablelabs should see more CPE and CMTS gear too...Nice to see little vendors do well do - SERIOUS bun fights between Broadcom (BCMxxx range) and TI (puma range) too driving chipset development which is super.

Yep, DOCSIS in the US, euroDOCSIS here, 6MHz channels in the US as they use NTSC which has lower resolution and therefore needs less bandwidth, 8MHz here as we use PAL for TV, which has higher resolution and needs more bandwidth :)

And great to see lots of activity and competition in this area.
    great wrote:
    just out of interest will the fibre network be only rolled out in Dublin in 2010 or other cities (Galway?)

Well anywhere that currently has broadband over cable has already been upgraded to fibre. I believe UPC have already upgraded the majority of their network to fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Think this news has swung me into going with UPC so. :)

I know we probably wont see it for a year or more, but just news that its coming means their doing a whole lot more work on their network than eircon ever bothered to do.

I think It was around christmas time just gone, new grey sheilded cable got put up around the houses gutters in my estate which enabled me to get broadband etc. Is that actual fibre cable or just coaxial? and If just coaxial could it take those speeds?

• Advertisement

There using Hybrid fibre-coaxial.

There network is Fibre from there Headend out to the different Nodes and then Use Coaxial to distribute it into the various homes.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_fibre-coaxial

afaik the rollout of the 20mbps broadband was the sign that they'd upgraded everything to EuroDOCSIS 3.0

look what Wikipedia says about the maximum speeds for EuroDOCSIS v3.0 :)

Direction Downstream Downstream Upstream (Both)
    Version DOCSIS EuroDOCSIS
    1.x 42.88 (38) Mbit/s 55.62 (50) Mbit/s 10.24 (9) Mbit/s
    2.0 42.88 (38) Mbit/s 55.62 (50) Mbit/s 30.72 (27) Mbit/s
    3.0 4channel +171.52 (+152) Mbit/s +222.48 (+200) Mbit/s +122.88 (+108) Mbit/s
    3.0 8channel +343.04 (+304) Mbit/s +444.96 (+400) Mbit/s +122.88 (+108) Mbit/s

I'd like to be the first to say "hummana hummana hummana" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

vibe666 wrote: »
    afaik the rollout of the 20mbps broadband was the sign that they'd upgraded everything to EuroDOCSIS 3.0

look what Wikipedia says about the maximum speeds for EuroDOCSIS v3.0 :)

3.0 8channel +343.04 (+304) Mbit/s +444.96 (+400) Mbit/s +122.88 (+108) Mbit/sI'd like to be the first to say "hummana hummana hummana" :D

Delicious tbh. :pac:... (NOM NOM NOM)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

UPC are still only on DOCSIS 2.0. The Scientific Atlanta EPC2203 cablemodem which they use won't do DOCSIS 3.0 so people upgrading to packages requiring this will need a modem swop out.

That's not to say their node's aren't DOCSIS3.0 capable, but at the moment, everything is running on DOCSIS2.0.

ah, okay, didn't realise that. was sure someone had said it was docsis 3.0, but i guess I was wrong. :(

still, it's all looking good and shiny in UPC land!. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Most certainly is! I really hope they do go ahead and launch something like 120Mbps, would give eircom a run for their money. Although like yourself the network here in the house will need a complete overhaul to get those speeds!

All UPC modems at the moment are running Docsis 1.1.

They can use both at the same time as in the Uk, standard modems for under 20Mb and Docsis 3.0 Modems for the 50MB+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Cisk is right, UPC Ireland are still on DOCSIS 1.1.
    The SA modems are capable of DOCSIS 2 however.
    Not sur if they'll go to 2 this year (maybe upgrading to 40-50) and then 3 next year with the role out o 120 within a year and a half.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

3.0 8channel +343.04 (+304) Mbit/s +444.96 (+400) Mbit/s +122.88 (+108) Mbit/s

FYI while excellent, those speeds are shared with everyone else on the same node.

Cisk is right, UPC Ireland are still on DOCSIS 1.1.
    The SA modems are capable of DOCSIS 2 however.
    Not sur if they'll go to 2 this year (maybe upgrading to 40-50) and then 3 next year with the role out o 120 within a year and a half.

DOCSIS 2 only improves the upload speed, it doesn't improve the download speed, so UPC will probably just skip over it to 3.

• Advertisement

They will skip to 3.0, aswell as speed advantages it has a much improved security over 1.1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 scum01

david7536 wrote: »
    Correct, im not a senior manager/policy maker for UPC :rolleyes:
    I dont think it is as arbitrary as you think but i cant prove this, i only have my own experience to go by. If you were limited for 50gigs on the 10 or 20Mbit packages then it must have been a mistake! I know people downing 150+ a month for the past 12 months with no consequence.

just my own 2 cents here but operating on the 20Mbit package, we certainly dont have any download caps (well havent heard of any). had 3 different rapidshare accounts going in the house at the same time. typically downloading between 250-400gigs a month!

we didnt hear a wort from upc about exceeding a limit!

have heard of people on the 6Mbit package getting letters warning them to lower their downloading to under 250gigs a month tho!

pretty sure the 10/20Mbit packages are truely unlimited!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

So if UPC where to switch over to docsis 3, all that would be required is a modem switch with a model that can handle it? the equipment in nodes and hubs wouldnt need to be changed too? as id doubt upc would bother doing this in all areas due to costs.

also generally does anyone know how close a upc node would be located to a house in dublin if you lived in an urban residential area? are upc skimping on how many houses are sharing each node? more than the 2000 max recommended?

scum01 wrote: »
    pretty sure the 10/20Mbit packages are truely unlimited!
    no they aren't.

if your combined upload and download goes much above 250gb in a month you'll get a letter telling you to stop or they reserve the right to upgrade you to the 'extreme' package OR disconnect you.

it only seems to have been since the start of this year, but I guess you missed my earlier post showing the letter I got from UPC in february, so here it is again.

th_SCAN0027.jpg

if you're transferring much more than that consistently then you might want to check your bill because you'll likely find yourself on the extreme package before too long (3 strikes afaik).

there was someone on another thread who said he was upgraded without them telling him. UPC said they sent out letters warning him but he said he didn't get them and UPC just upgraded him to the extreme package and charged him double for it on his next bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

IgsTer wrote: »
    So if UPC where to switch over to docsis 3, all that would be required is a modem switch with a model that can handle it? the equipment in nodes and hubs wouldnt need to be changed too? as id doubt upc would bother doing this in all areas due to costs.

also generally does anyone know how close a upc node would be located to a house in dublin if you lived in an urban residential area? are upc skimping on how many houses are sharing each node? more than the 2000 max recommended?

DOCSIS3 works out cheaper for a cable company to use than what they are using at the moment, so they save money by using it.

Listen to the latest gdgt podcast, they go into detail about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

bk wrote: »
    UPC already have this in the Netherlands, here is how the pricing looks:
    http://www.upc.nl/internet/

60mb/6mb €60.50
    120mb/10mb €80.50

Interestingly if you look at their slower/cheaper products and compare them with UPC Ireland, you see that UPC Ireland are actually slightly cheaper*, so the above prices for the 60 and 120 mb products should be possible for upc.ie

* However it looks like upc.nl are cheaper when you combine them with TV,DVR,phone etc.

Funny thing the article says it should be rolled out by mid 2010, which is actually a slip, it was supposed to be before end of 2009.

It will be interesting to see what it costs here if it comes. I would guess about 2.5x as much as the above figures. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

It will be interesting to see what it costs here if it comes. I would guess about 2.5x as much as the above figures. :D

And your reasoning for that woud be?
    As has already been pointed out here, in this thread (in fact in the post that you quoted!), UPC Ireland are slightly cheaper when it comes to the 3/10/20mb packages, as apposed to UPC in Holland.

Why would the 60/120mb be 2.5 times more?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 declans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Great to see the progress made here and all that, but I cant see any practical use for a 120MB line for me at the moment.

What do you guys intend to use such a pipe for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

CiaranC wrote: »
    Great to see the progress made here and all that, but I cant see any practical use for a 120MB line for me at the moment.

What do you guys intend to use such a pipe for?

UPC could use it to stream HD movies to their set top boxes using a system like NetFlix

Advertisement