Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 120Mbps BB coming...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

UPC have a great Download cap/FUP (whatever) for the price of their service.
    It's more than double BT's for instance.
    They also don't throttle you or charge you if you go over, they just ask you to be more carefull.
    (Going on the reports here, as I've never gotten close to 200 myself, let alone above 250!:p)
    I just don't see what so many here complain about with the FUP.
    It's higher, for cheaper than anyone else widely available, and they don't charge or throttle as a penalty.

I'm not trying to single you out or anything here Vibe, but when they had 6mb BB the cap was like 40 or 50GB or something.
    When they tripled their speeds to 20, they made the cap roughly 5 times more.
    When they sectuple it, who's to say that they won't at least do the same with the cap?
    I'd say it's a hell of a lot more likely than some suggestions on this thread.
    (40 gb cap!:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Even if the cap is left as is its still beating the pants off all other ISP's, I couldnt imagine being limited to the likes of Eircoms caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

CiaranC wrote: »
    Of course you can. Do you expect this to be the norm for end users then? Building qmail boxes or buying up exchange licences and finding domains to peer with?

We are talking about a residential broadband product. UPC arent going to drop the attachment limit on their SMTP servers, nor are any other of the large mail providers or companies a residential user might be sending mail to, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, you could do that just fine with a 20Mbps line now, couldnt you?

"domains to peer with" - this isn't an issue. It doesn't have to be a resolvable (terrible english) name in my example.

Exchange .... well...... thats just how far behind the time enterprises are isn't it. Proprietary software for "company" people. Thats another thread in itself so I won't elaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Attachment limit on UPC SMTP servers?
    Have you spoken with someone in UPC that I haven't?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    UPC have a great Download cap/FUP (whatever) for the price of their service.
    It's more than double BT's for instance.
    They also don't throttle you or charge you if you go over, they just ask you to be more carefull.
    (Going on the reports here, as I've never gotten close to 200 myself, let alone above 250!:p)
    I just don't see what so many here complain about with the FUP.
    It's higher, for cheaper than anyone else widely available, and they don't charge or throttle as a penalty.

I'm not trying to single you out or anything here Vibe, but when they had 6mb BB the cap was like 40 or 50GB or something.
    When they tripled their speeds to 20, they made the cap roughly 5 times more.
    When they sectuple it, who's to say that they won't at least do the same with the cap?
    I'd say it's a hell of a lot more likely than some suggestions on this thread.
    (40 gb cap!:rolleyes:)
    I know, I wasn't really complaining, I do know we've got it pretty good, but it's apples and oranges really. very hard to compare the likes of say the BT 100gb rolling FUP with the 250gb one on UPC because BT don't count the data you upload, although I was on the 7.6mbps BT (bitstream) DSL package with a limit of 100gb per month and now I'm on 20mbps with 250gb, it's still not the same if i have to count uploaded data as well.

i'm actually only downloading </> 140-150gb per month now on the 20mbps package but my total up & down is always between 230-250gb per month inc. uploaded data too so at nearly 3 times the speed I'm only downloading on average about 50% more and still hitting the limit.

I do know I'm better off though, or I wouldn't have moved. i'm just a complainer by nature. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

bk wrote: »
    UPC already have this in the Netherlands, here is how the pricing looks:
    http://www.upc.nl/internet/

60mb/6mb €60.50
    120mb/10mb €80.50

Thanks for the info BK, at least we know to expect a price of between €120-160 per month here. :rolleyes:

lol Even at the notion of 120 mb broadband coming sometime maybe in the future .... possibly.... eventually....

It has already started the "oh but what baout the cap" ... "oh but what about the price" lol . Its not even here and the moaning/speculated moaning has started! lol.

Lets all just wait and see how it plays out and have some patience.

hightower1 wrote: »
    Lets all just wait and see how it plays out and have some patience.
    no, because that wouldn't be an internet discussion forum then would it?

the whole point of being here is to discuss these things, otherwise this would be a very quiet place. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

CiaranC wrote: »
    Heres an article which puts the bandwidth requirement for streaming 1080p using H264 at 6Mbps.

20080624-VideoOverEnterprise-HD-video-bitrates.png
    http://blog.radvision.com/videooverenterprise/2008/06/24/high-definition-is-next-do-you-know-how-much-bandwidth-you-have/

Id be a moderately heavy user, and most of the time my 20Mbps connection is barely taxed. And I already do all the things youve mentioned.

You are not doing it right.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Oracle wrote: »
    Thanks for the info BK, at least we know to expect a price of between €120-160 per month here. :rolleyes:

Why do people keep ignoring the point I made that UPC Ireland's prices for the slower products, 20mb, etc. are actually cheaper then UPC Netherlands, therefore the 60 and 120mb products should be in the same ball park.

Also just remember that UPC has already shocked the industry a few times with their high speeds and low prices. Doesn't everyone remember just two years ago they shocked everyone with 12mb for €40, blowing every ISP out of the water and then just two months later, they did it again, upgrading the 12mb to 20mb for free, really shocking everyone.

Why should this be different? It seems everyone has a short memory.

People don't seem to get why UPC are doing this, let me explain the big picture. UPC mostly sells TV services, they make great, fat profit margins on the TV service. Because of the infrastructure architecture of the TV service (you have to have a decent Hybrid Fibre Coax network to deliver a decent TV service anyway), they can also deliver very high speed broadband services for relatively little cost over this pre existing network. Basically the TV service infrastructure helps them subsidise their BB network, something Eircom or other ISP's can't do *.

However UPC are losing TV customers, because their TV service is inferior to Sky, so now they are really pushing BB to gain extra subs to make up for the loss of TV subs and to also help them retain TV subs with excellent bundle deals.

People need to stop thinking about UPC in how they relate to Eircom, Eircom aren't their competitor, Sky is. You need to look at what UPC needs to do to beat Sky. The one advantage UPC have over Sky is their very fast BB infrastructure and boy are they are going to use it. You see this all over Europe, just look at Virgin versus Sky in the UK, much the same story.

* This is why in the US, Verizon and AT&T, two old school telephone companies are rolling out massive, expensive fibre to the home and VDSL2+ networks, with TV as the main selling point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I imagine that there will be new pricing structure's and the unlimited download T&C's will be adjusted
    120m/b what happens when we run out of internet to look at?

How dare you..:eek:

:D

You are not doing it right.
    isn't that what you're supposed to say when someone claims that something is "better than sex"? ;)

i think it depends on if you're talking about taxing the 20mbps or taxing the FUP.

the absolute maximum speed I've had out of mine is 18.5mbps and that was just the once. most of the time i get between 10-15mbps out of it, depending on local demand, peak times etc. and sometimes when it's really bad I might only get 5mbps.

most of the time, torrenting on public trackers uses only between 3-7mbps depending on how well seeded the torrent is, so I'm not even taxing the maximum possible speed of my current connection as it is.

t be fair, downgrading to the 10mbps would make no real practical difference to my internet usage, but the speed freak in me still likes to see the odd spike in speed as and when it happens just so I know it's there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

I don't really mind the 250gb total data transfer up and down, which is really 125gb each way, it means I can download 125 gbs a month which is 25 more than with BTs 3mb package. But when I ordered the 20mb package it did say no cap, when I looked at the fup it said refer to your package which still said no cap. It did annoy me when I got a threatening letter from them telling me I had exceeded my 250gb monthly cap. I have mentioned this before on these boards but for the benifit of potential new customers to UPC I have said it again. UPC are misleading people, there is a cap and it's 125gb a month unless you're a torrent leech, in which case you might get 230gb.

vibe666 wrote: »
    no, because that wouldn't be an internet discussion forum then would it?

the whole point of being here is to discuss these things, otherwise this would be a very quiet place. :rolleyes:

Well if you had actually read my comment as a whole and not cherry picked one piece I think you may see what I am saying is that people are forming opinions on a products facts eg price and cap based on absolutely no facts or presedent on any similar product in Ireland today.

Opinions formed on no facts at all are just poor judgement and even more true for "moaning and bitching" opinions. The only people here that would have any facts on this product would be UPC employees.

I hope that helps you understand what I was saying.

hightower1 wrote: »
    I hope that helps you understand what I was saying.
    no, not really because as usual you don't have a valid point.

the whole point of being here is to share and discuss what we DO know and speculate about what we don't.

you coming into a thread and having a "bitch and a moan" (your words) about people doing exactly that is in no way constructive and has tainted an otherwise useful and informative thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Great to see NTL pushing ahead with this

Vibe leave the stalking (as you would say, your words) out of this please.

We've already had one thread in here locked a few days ago due to nonsensical off topic personal insults.
    Hightower was talking about something else, and to the whole forum, not just to you.
    Stop trying to bait him into an argument please, as it will just get this thread locked too.

Back on topic, Hightower did have a valid point.
    He was highlighting that people aren't "discussing" possible price structures or DL caps.

They are "assuming" (and doing so without any evidence and against the proven history of UPC) that the price will be astronomical.

Nobody is saying I think UPC will charge more and have a tiny cap because......

They're assuming that UPC will charge more and have a tiny cap despite the fact that this is the exact opposite of what UPC have done since coming to the country!

And all because some people get their rocks off on UPC hating, simply because UPC used to be NTL half a decade ago, and NTL were shíte.

As you like to say this is a discussion forum, not an assumption one.
    So your pedanticism is way off the mark.

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    Vibe leave the stalking (as you would say, your words) out of this please.

We've already had one thread in here locked a few days ago due to nonsensical off topic personal insults.
    Hightower was talking about something else, and to the whole forum, not just to you.
    Stop trying to bait him into an argument please, as it will just get this thread locked too.

Back on topic, Hightower did have a valid point.
    He was highlighting that people aren't "discussing" possible price structures or DL caps.

They are "assuming" (and doing so without any evidence and against the proven history of UPC) that the price will be astronomical.

Nobody is saying I think UPC will charge more and have a tiny cap because......

They're assuming that UPC will charge more and have a tiny cap despite the fact that this is the exact opposite of what UPC have done since coming to the country!

And all because some people get their rocks off on UPC hating, simply because UPC used to be NTL half a decade ago, and NTL were shíte.

As you like to say this is a discussion forum, not an assumption one.
    So your pedanticism is way off the mark.
    yes and no actually, there was a thinly veiled dig directly at me in his post, but I agree it's going nowhere so we'll just agree to leave it where it is.

out of curiosity, why would a discussion and an assumption have to be mutually exclusive?

plenty of people in plenty of forums have made plenty of assumptions about countless subjects. why all of a sudden can't the rest of us? no offence, but the pair of you don't have a hundred posts between you and have both been here less than a month yet and you both sound like you're making the rules? :confused:

not trying to pick a fight, I'm just making an observation.

on the subject of the conjecture over how we think it's going to go, everyone seems to be (for the most part) agreed on the basics of it. 60mbps to replace the 20mbps @ c.40€ per month and the 120mbps to sit above it @ around 80€ a month just like in the Netherlands with the smaller packages to fall in line below that.

i think there was one joke post about the price being astronomical, most of the posting has been favourable even from the non fanboi's.

the packages in the netherlands are all subject to a FUP but as usual there's no info on what that actually is, so unless we can dig up some dutch guy who's got the 120mbps equiv. of the letter UPC send out to anyone going over the 250gb FUP we aren't going to know until someone here can push it hard enough to get one when it finally arrives on our shores.

my guess would be (and yes, it is a guess, but being as guesses are all we have right now I see no problem with it) that the 60mbps package would be subject to a FUP 2 or 3 times higher than the 20mbps FUP (given the pricing) and the 120mbps, well who knows given that it's priced in NL right in with the 'hidden' UPC extreme broadband package reserved for the repeated FUP breakers but i'm guessing most people would run out of disk space before they broke it.

chorus and NTL both have a terrible track record in ireland and yes, UPC are doing a lot to try and improve on it, but there are still a lot of problems. I switched my broadband to UPC in November and I've already had more downtime with them in less than 6 months than I had in 5 years with BT broadband (not counting when I moved house, which was eircoms fault) and there are still lots of threads here and the other forums with people having problems with them so I don't believe conjectural criticism is unwarranted at all based on past performance.

last year, people on the 20mbps package were able to hit 600gb in a month and not hear a peep out of UPC, but as of January they changed the FUP (the cap that isn't a cap) down to 250gb on a package that is supposed to be unlimited. fair enough, they can't support a totally unlimited service, but nobody was asking them to, all we wanted were clearly defined advertised limits, rather than sending out snotty letters for breaking limits we didn't know we had and STILL have no (official) way of monitoring.

(again) just out of curiosity, where did I mention stalking? I can't find any reference I made to talking in any posts I've made. :confused:

vibe666 wrote: »
    yes and no actually, there was a thinly veiled dig directly at me in his post, but I agree it's going nowhere so we'll just agree to leave it where it is.

out of curiosity, why would a discussion and an assumption have to be mutually exclusive?

plenty of people in plenty of forums have made plenty of assumptions about countless subjects. why all of a sudden can't the rest of us? no offence, but the pair of you don't have a hundred posts between you and have both been here less than a month yet and you both sound like you're making the rules? :confused:

not trying to pick a fight, I'm just making an observation.

on the subject of the conjecture over how we think it's going to go, everyone seems to be (for the most part) agreed on the basics of it. 60mbps to replace the 20mbps @ c.40€ per month and the 120mbps to sit above it @ around 80€ a month just like in the Netherlands with the smaller packages to fall in line below that.

i think there was one joke post about the price being astronomical, most of the posting has been favourable even from the non fanboi's.

the packages in the netherlands are all subject to a FUP but as usual there's no info on what that actually is, so unless we can dig up some dutch guy who's got the 120mbps equiv. of the letter UPC send out to anyone going over the 250gb FUP we aren't going to know until someone here can push it hard enough to get one when it finally arrives on our shores.

my guess would be (and yes, it is a guess, but being as guesses are all we have right now I see no problem with it) that the 60mbps package would be subject to a FUP 2 or 3 times higher than the 20mbps FUP (given the pricing) and the 120mbps, well who knows given that it's priced in NL right in with the 'hidden' UPC extreme broadband package reserved for the repeated FUP breakers but i'm guessing most people would run out of disk space before they broke it.

chorus and NTL both have a terrible track record in ireland and yes, UPC are doing a lot to try and improve on it, but there are still a lot of problems. I switched my broadband to UPC in November and I've already had more downtime with them in less than 6 months than I had in 5 years with BT broadband (not counting when I moved house, which was eircoms fault) and there are still lots of threads here and the other forums with people having problems with them so I don't believe conjectural criticism is unwarranted at all based on past performance.

last year, people on the 20mbps package were able to hit 600gb in a month and not hear a peep out of UPC, but as of January they changed the FUP (the cap that isn't a cap) down to 250gb on a package that is supposed to be unlimited. fair enough, they can't support a totally unlimited service, but nobody was asking them to, all we wanted were clearly defined advertised limits, rather than sending out snotty letters for breaking limits we didn't know we had and STILL have no (official) way of monitoring.

(again) just out of curiosity, where did I mention stalking? I can't find any reference I made to talking in any posts I've made. :confused:

I'm sorry but when does how many posts you have mean that you get to be condescending, insulting, and arrogant to posters with less posts than you?

If it makes you feel any better, I've got tens of thousands of posts on multiple forums.
    Does that mean anything?
    No.
    It means SFA.

Unless you have Moderator, or Admin under your tag, you're the exact same as every one here, and you really need to stop with the whole superiority thing.
    It's a bit childish, and detracts from any valid points you have to make.

You constantly go on about how many posts people have!:confused:

I know that UPC aren't perfect.
    As I've said before, I wish that we had a better alternative.
    Actually, I really just wish that UPC Ireland was ran like UPC NL.
    But it's not anywhere near as bad as anyone makes out.
    And it's only a young company when you think about it.
    Most importantly though, it's an Irish ran company, and Irish companies really don't to efficient or effective anything!:P
    But in a thread about UPC doing things right, and lately IMO it's finally turned the corner and is doing more right than wrong (slightly), there is no need for pointless and inaccurate bickering.
    It's pointless.
    It's like that guy getting banned the other day for dredging up posts from years ago about NTL!
    It really beggars belief sometimes.:confused:

And do you think that maybe, just maybe, the reason they didn't put a cap on the service, is because they didn't know what the line could hold seeing as they didn't know how much people would download?
    When you cap a service, you're mapping out, conservatively, how much bandwidth your customers are going to use.
    It means that you're not using all that you can, and that negatively effects the customer.
    When UPC brought out the 20 mb speeds in Ireland it was a first.
    They wouldn't know how much people would use.
    I didn't know how much I'd use FFS.:pac:
    Irish users don't have the same patterns as people in Holland, or France or wherever else UPC are.
    Now they know, and they also know what the network can currently handle.
    So they've inacted the FUP as it was designed to be used.
    When they increase the network, who knows, it could go up again.
    It won't cost UPC anything, it's just common sense.
    If the usage is too much for the system, it has to be curtailed.

If I was the kind of person who could put 2 + 2 together, and manage to get 4, I'd put money on the fact that the high end users being told to limit their usage to around 250, may have an incy wincy bit to do with how people are suddenly reporting a much better service.

2 - Lots of people downloading 600GB or more, and some people reporting terrible speeds and pings.

+

2 - UPC cutting these customers back to around 250 and customers suddenly reporting much better speeds (the thread here from a couple of weeks ago for instance!)

= What I would call a Fair Usage Policy in action.

Surely I'm not the only person who came to this conclusion?:confused:

I think that it's fairly close to the truth to say that nobody in UPC knows what kind of cap (hidden or otherwise) there will be on this new service when it comes out.
    Just like they did last time, they'll see what the service can handle, then adjust it accordingly.
    And even if we did know what the cap was in Holland, I'd imagine that it would make no difference, because as I said, Irish users wouldn't follow the same patterns as Dutch users.
    It would be like suggesting that knowing the drinking patterns of people in Holland would tell you how much Irish people drink!
    I think we all know that, that's not the case.:D

P.S: and the stalking thing was in reference to you saying that you had made Hightower your hobby cause you enjoyed talking to him so much.
    Which if I was Hightower I'd find a we bit creepy.;):p

P.P.S: Please describe this "snotty" letter that you recieved?
    Cause every one that I've had described to me, seemed in no way snotty.
    Massive multinationals with more lawyers than you have posts (sorry couldn't resist that one), don't do "snotty".

this is pointless and off-topic, so it's going to stop now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

Vibe666 has posted a lot of useful information about throttling and caps over the years and is hassled enough with ISPs without strangers coming on giving out to him. The UPC letters are snotty, threatening extermination or saying they might take twice the agreed payment from your bank account or reduce the speed of the service if they so decide. All for breaking a cap that you are told doesn't exist. The UPC service is good but customers should be treated with a bit more respect I think, as should posters in this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The OT stuff stops right now.

Use PM if you wish, to discuss personal issues with other posters or their opinions. This thread goes back to UPC's possible 120M broadband, and known issues with that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Folliwng up on jor el's post the next person to start this off topic stuff again about number of posts or any of that crap gets banned for two months, we've already had one thread locked and this one's been taken off topic!

PM each other if you want to discuss personal issues but whatever you do keep it within the site rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

In theory DOCSIS 3.0 allows for up to 200Mbit down/108Mbit up. It's a pity that UPC appear to be limiting the upload to so far below the theoretical max.

I'd much, much rather have even a 50Mbit/50Mbit line than a 120Mbit/10Mbit one.

In the UK, they have 50MB 1.5MB up and 20MB 768KB up.

So the UPC 20MB 1.5MB up is not bad in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LKAlias1989

cisk wrote: »
    In the UK, they have 50MB 1.5MB up and 20MB 768KB up.

So the UPC 20MB 1.5MB up is not bad in comparison.

I did a speed test on my 20mb connection and I got 34mb

1499804309.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'd say that upsteam is limited to avoid torrents soaking up the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think its partly for that and to stop people using it for business connections and hosting servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I did a speed test on my 20mb connection and I got 34mb

Recently I was simultaneously downloading 3 files at over 1 MBps. That is approximately 30mbps.

• Advertisement

The 20Mb Config file specifies 20Mb Downstream so i dont know how you could go faster than 20Mb.

Advertisement