Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying sane on Maternity leave?

Options
  • 30-04-2009 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

My wife is passing the 6 month mark on maternity leave and won't return to work until july. She's been happy enough until now, but recently has been getting increasingly stressed.

The problem is common enough - she has no-one to talk to. All her friends work during the day, and the activities that used to keep her busy - breast feeding support, etc, are finished now.

My question is: is there any support group or meeting place for bored and stressed mums on maternity leave or for stay-at-home-mums? Somewhere she could go with the kid during the day to chat with adults?

I'm sure there are plenty of others in her situation. We live in North dublin city, but she'd be very willing to travel a bit as she obviously has time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Has she looked at what baby and parent groups are in her area?
    Most librarys have them as to community centres?
    Her local health nurse will have a list of such groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Could she look at something like starting a blog and/or participating in the various mummy oriented internet communities like rollercoaster.ie, Magicmum.com, EUMom.com etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

She could ask the health nurse if there are any mother and baby groups or play groups in the area. I feel her pain you can go round the twist with just babs for company even though we love our children it's nice to go back to work and feel like yourself again :o

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭goosie2005

Yes, parent and baby groups would be ideal, many of which run through the summer, also as another said the irish parenting websites usually have a section re. new baby, local living etc where she could arrange a meet up with others in her area? hth

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

depending on where she is

mumstown.ie have regular coffee meet ups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 seabhcan

Thanks very much for all the suggestions - I'm investigating each one.

Keep them coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

OP I feel for your wife. I am in West Clare and there is only a mummy and me clinic only once a month. I don't have any friends here really and it is just myself, the baby and the MIL here Monday-Friday and when my OH is home at weekends he spend most of the time preparing for the following week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Banrion

Im on maternity leave and sometimes I feel like eating/slamming my head off the couch. But its only once she'll ever do it, she'll be back at work and she'll be dreaming of these days (at least thats how my story is panning out in my head) Mother and toddler groups are the way to go, visiting ( I do lottssss of that), walking, kinder gyms/gymborees.

Advertisement