Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In Foal Mare Scouring :(

Options
  • 30-04-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

My mare Mandi is due to have her foal in two weeks time. I moved her from one farm to another one closer to home last week. Since i moved her she has a grass scour... I restriced her grazing down to the bare minimum and tried to get her to take some hay but she prefers to pick at the stubbs of grass rather than eat it :( Ben (my cob) of course hoovered the whole lot up!

Should i be worried? Im afraid that it might stunt the growth of the foal in the last few weeks when it should be getting strong... I can put her in for the next two weeks but that will mean having to move her by trailer again and im not that happy about moving her when shes so close.

What to do?!

Comments

I would call vet asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

i 2nd Zaraba..get the vet. she may need bloods taken to identify the cause and treatment necessary. Irritable bowel is common enough in horses, but regardless whether she's in foal or not, its something that needs treatment. She's losing nutrients (glucose etc) that she and foal need and she's prob becoming dehydrated. get onto the vet asap before she gets any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I'd definitely call the vet out asap. It could just be something similar, or it could be the sign of something more serious. The vet will diagnose and treat the symptoms as appropriate.

Advertisement