Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three-cushion billiards?

• 30-04-2009 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

I googled this, there actually is such a thing! Who'd want to play this...maybe a wee Donegal boy!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Three cussion billiards/Carom are amazing games. Eurosport recently covered some tournament, the skill is outstanding. It has to be seen to believe.

I've never come accross one of the tables though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Oh..I see how what involved from the youtube clip.

Why does the table need to be heated?

• Advertisement

Sure the tables in the main snooker tournament events all have the heaters on. The championship tables in the clubs tend to have them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

celticfc wrote: »
    Sure the tables in the main snooker tournament events all have the heaters on. The championship tables in the clubs tend to have them too.

Really? Then why the need for a hot iron between some frames?

m83 wrote: »

It makes the surface look good and helps remove any moisture. It all make the surface more responsive supposedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

m83 wrote: »

The tables are brushed and ironed, this is to
    A) remove any chalk residue that may be on the cloth, which, at the level these players are at, and the speed of the cloth, could easily knock a slow paced ball off course and cause the loss of a frame etc.

B) Restore the nap to the cloth, by removing finger marks etc., which could also alter the pace/direction of a ball etc when playing a slower paced shot

and as was already said, it just makes the table more responsive to the cue power of the players, makes it a little easier to play on, and looks good too, as opposed to the heavier cloth of the 80's and early 90's, which, often was covered in chalk and finger marks after only a few frames, and this lead to a high frequency of kicks and bad contacts, as the cue ball or object ball rolled over the chalk, it would pick some of it up, and a fine coating would remain on the ball, which would then cause the cue ball to kick on contact, which results in a loss of any power in the ball, and can all too often turn a deep screw shot into a stun shot...which is nothing short of annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Baruch

It's really popular in Korea, played it a few times and it's pretty fun. Don't think the tables are heated though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ithaca

Looks like a great game to me. You always have a large choice of scoring shots to play, no such thing as snookers or safety shots or free balls. No defensive play at all.

Don't get me wrong I love snooker but even standard billiards is a more open game (and easier).

Try to guess what shot the guy is playing here (pause at 11 seconds before he takes the shot). Remember he's trying to hit a minimum of three cusions before making the canon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I used to watch this on Eurosport. The skill of the players is amazing. I'm in awe of their knowledge of the angles. Belgians are very good at it apparently. They've had a few world champs.
    Never heard of anywhere in Ireland that has a table though, sorry.

Advertisement