Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New statue on Fr Griffin Road

Options
  • 30-04-2009 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

I saw them erecting this yesterday. Looks very odd - the base is like a cone with the pointy bit cut off - then you have a seabird (maybe an albatross?) with some sort of radial sunbeams on top, and a Galway hooker (the boat, not the beer ;)) within the sunbeams. Its just across the street from the fire station, beside Harvest. I'll try to get pics later.

Dunno if I like it or not yet - my first impression is that its gonna get vandalised to bits :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

So, we're in a recession and Galway City Council have no money, eh? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

JohnCleary wrote: »
    So, we're in a recession and Galway City Council have no money, eh? :pac:

The site for it appears to have been prepared a very long time ago - there was a circle of kerbstones there for ages, I thought at first it was prepared for a flowerbed or something.

Its unusual that there are now 3 statues just there, within spitting distance of each other - a statue of a priest (Fr Burke?) on the town side of the fire station, a weird small white stone statue on the other side (my friend describes it as Jesus doing yoga) and now this new one across the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

cornbb wrote: »
    The site for it appears to have been prepared a very long time ago - there was a circle of kerbstones there for ages, I thought at first it was prepared for a flowerbed or something.

Its unusual that there are now 3 statues just there, within spitting distance of each other - a statue of a priest (Fr Burke?) on the town side of the fire station, a weird small white stone statue on the other side (my friend describes it as Jesus doing yoga) and now this new one across the street.

Fr. Griffin maybe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I demand to see a photograph of the statue with Mayor Conneely standing beside it..

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

Zzippy wrote: »
    Fr. Griffin maybe?

no that is defo Fr. burke as in fr burke park, fr burke road the claddagh.
    Damn i knew a bit of the history on him but can't think of it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

there is a plaque on the ground on sea road for fr. griffin outside the house where the black and tans kidnapped him, or so iv heard.
    They brought him out past barna and executed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

It looks like a cross between a Heron and Isis... rather unexpected location

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

Greaney wrote: »
    It looks like a cross between a Heron and Isis... rather unexpected location

Sounds very arty farty, give me a plain statue that looks like someone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

mercuroman wrote: »
    Sounds very arty farty, give me a plain statue that looks like someone

Nah they always end up crap. Have you ever seen the statue of Bill Clinton in Ballybunion? Looks nothing like him. Although having said that, what Galway really needs is a 16ft statue of KD in Eyre Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

cornbb wrote: »
    Nah they always end up crap. Have you ever seen the statue of Bill Clinton in Ballybunion? Looks nothing like him. Although having said that, what Galway really needs is a 16ft statue of KD in Eyre Square.

Lang? Kieran Donaghy? kiloDalton?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

I saw them putting it up the other day. It looks like a John Behan - there used to be a lot of his work in Kenny's. I think the bird is a cormorant or a gannet - whatever the black birds are that you see drying their wings by the fisheries tower. I always love seeing them in that pose, it's a classic Galway sight and the statue catches it nicely.

I've always wondered about the white yoga thing by the fire station.

Advertisement