Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipmunks and Cats??

Options
  • 30-04-2009 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Am thinking about getting a chipmunk, does anyone no if they get on with cats, have 3 cats... and i know that chipmunks need space and need to be let out in the house but im thinking the cats mite eat it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

Im sure there is some one out there with a chipmunk and cats but id say as a general rule that yes your cats will try and eat the chipmunk if you have it out and running around your house. cats wont care if its a chipmunk, mouse, rat, hamster etc!!! so maybe re-think your plans, or consider build a big avery type enclosure in your garden for a chipmunk

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

the cats will love it if you bring them a lovely furry chipmunk to play with... not sure the chipmunk would be so keen though ;)

do you have a room big enough to build a big enclosure for them in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Nah it wont work, its just the nature of cats they prey on quick sudden movements and a chipmunk would tick all those boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Luxy

I think the only way a cat will tolerate a small animal like that is if they've been accustomed to it from birth. My cat will let my pet mice run all over him, he barely notices. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

think i mite put it off for a while, am livin in a mobile at the minute so have no room to build an enclosure... there so cute and selling them in the pet shop in town, would love one :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Deffo not safe for the chipmunks not to mention it would stress them out.
    Cats cannot be trusted around smallies, there's one (true) story of a cat that grew up alongside a rescue crow and they were the best of pals for years, one day the cat turned on the bird ..n that's all she wrote.

I love cats as much as the next person but their instinct takes over, there may be some exceptions but you never know when instinct could take over at any time.

Even if housing the chipmunks in a large enclosure you'd have to make sure the cats don't stress them out or harm them through the bars of the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yep instinct will take over with a cat - sure scuttle your own fingers in front of your pet cat, watch as their pupils dilate and then try and dodge the pawful of razorblades coming your way! Your cats can be trained to be gentler in their play, but unless they're very docile, without a strong prey drive, it's a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

yes i tink your right, mite leave it and get another cat instead...lol..

thanks everyone for your help

Advertisement