Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mowing the lawn, what time???

Options
  • 30-04-2009 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

I live in housing estate, last saturday i took out the lawn mower and started off mowing the lawn. Its a petrol one not overly nosiy.
    I started at 11am an hour later the neighbour popped his head over the fence and said that it was bit early to be mowing.
    I thought he meant as in april and i said ah no sure its growing now it no hassle, he meant the time!!
    what time is acceptable to mow the lawn on a saturday morning???:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ellechim

11am isn't too early to me - I'd be more concerned about doing it late when people with kids are trying to put them to bed - i wouldn't do it after 7pm or before 9am but otherwise I reckon it's perfectly reasonable...........my neighbours mow at all sorts of hours..............

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

about 1, i get up at 12 you noisy fecker :D

Only joking this is the first I heard. I imagine once the morning mist clears and the ground dries would be good but I am answering to get it back to the top cause I am interested as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I cut in early-mid afternoon after the moisture has dried up.

11 am Saturday isn't soooo early unless your neighbours had a late Friday night of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Would've thought 11 on a Saturday morning OK.
    Anybody mow on Sundays?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When I get up, and dressed.... so 4pm. Rarely 11am, but only if I wasn't drinking the night before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

so a rough guide, is sat morn 11am??

sunday morning 12-1pm?

what about mon to friday? 10am should be allright im guessing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

11am on a weekend? Are you mad? Of course that's too early :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've often started the mower up at 10am on a Saturday. I'd usually leave it a bit later on a Sunday. There's no law against those times but obviously you don't want to upset the neighbours.

11am is not to early - maybe he had a sore head after a good session the night before but that's no reason for you to delay giving the lawn a trim. However, if he works nights then maybe you should take that into account from the point of view of being neighbourly but you don't have to.......

weeellllll

one of my neighbours mowed his lawn at 8.20 this morning, I kid you not.......

we were all up but I'm sure not everyone else in my estate was...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I suppose it's a matter of getting on well with your neighbours... sometimes you just have to make compromises.

Sunday morning or Sunday afternoon seems to be the standard time hereabouts.

Does your neighbour work nights by any chance?

By the same token, I think it actually shocks the plants less if you mow just before dusk, so they're not dried out when they're freshly cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭tony231974

I'd do mine on Sunday at 1.30 p.m. because it's the only chance I get,we have a big dog and small child and when I mow the lawn the dog wants to eat the mover so dog goes in child goes up to the in-laws for Sunday dinner.Everyone's happy,well exept me cause I get no dinner and have to do the lawn. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Your neighbour is an idiot. Does he have any kids? If so, I suggest sticking your head over the wall the next time they make any noise on a Saturday morning and tell him it's a bit early for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

i usually cut the grass as early as poss (if its dry ) as it takes 2 1/2 hours.
    11 on a sat morning isn't early

Well my neighbours were mowing last night at 9..........how considerate........between that and the politicians ringing the doorbell there was not a child in the house sleeping!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

11am too early? No. What are you supposed to do, wait until everyone has decided to drag themselves out of the scratcher?

Sleipnir wrote: »
    11am too early? No. What are you supposed to do, wait until everyone has decided to drag themselves out of the scratcher?

Yea exactly, anyway just to piss them off i cut it at 10 am this morning, we are moving so he can go and bite me!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 laura27314

Your neighbour has a real nerve!
    Mid-week I would think it was ok to cut after 7am.
    Saturday 9am onwards
    Sunday 9am too.

Wouldn't cut late if I knew there were kids around trying to get to sleep.

What I can't get over about your neighbour is that he had the nerve to say anything!!! I have had bathroom renovations going on above me for 2 weeks, starting 8 am every morning and going on til 6 or 7pm, including Saturdys, with my boyfriend trying to study for his finals. The builder was even blocking up our car space for a few days. BUT I smile politely at my neighbours and tell them it's no bother, and expect them to do the same for me when I'm having work done. Yesterday I set the alarm by mistake when I was rushing out, and it got set off by the builders upstairs, and rang til I got home at midnight. I caught our neighbours on their way out this morning and apologized, and they accepted it graciously and said it didn't bother them! It's just common courtsy!

Laura

7am??:eek: Id say id be looking for new windows if i started it up at 7!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

11am is fine. 8am is too early.
    I kinda like listening to someone mowing the lawn when I'm still in bed. It means:
    It's summer
    It's someone else working, not me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 laura27314

7 am mid week mind! Most people would be up by then, to get to work! What with traffic, showers, breakfasts, kids! If I had a neighbour who worked nights or whatever we would come to an agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

nice fine morning 5am:D in before the commute to work.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

God if I was woken by 11am by a lawnmower, I'd be embarrassed to complain! That's ridiculous!!!

I'd say ignore him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I reckon any time 9am onwards is just fine.

I have a neighbour who mows his lawn 8am on a Sunday morning.

Then again, everybody over here is an early riser except the teenagers, and nobody pays any attention to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

When I lived in an estate in Maynooth, I used to do the lawn at 9.30am on a Saturday morning so I'd get it out of the way and have the day free to spend with the family.

However, my wife brought my daughter (4 years old at the time) to a birthday party in a neighbour's house one day and one of the "fathers" who was standing around swilling beer said "your oul fella is a noisy fecker and if he cuts the lawn that early again he'll get his bleedin throat cut next". My wife took out her phone, called me and asked me to come over. When I got there (not yet knowing what had been said), she turned to the hero with the beer can and asked him to repeat to me what he'd said to our daughter. He said he didn't know what she was talking about, at which stage some of the kids said that he wanted to cut my throat. My wife nodded at this to confirm it so I asked him what his problem was and he said he didn't have one and that he was just joking with my daughter. Out of earshot of the kids, I told him I'd still be laughing when my foot was on his throat if he spoke to her like that again. IMO the gob****e was probably hungover and his anticipated sleep in until 2 or 3pm was upset by me.

BTW my garden was pretty small and it only took about 10 minutes to cut it so its not as if I was making much noise for hours.

BTW, BTW, this guy's kids were the noisiest little feckers in the estate and the eldest boy (about 14 at the time) thought nothing of bringing his drum kit out into his front garden and having a jamming session with his mates at 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

The Neighbour cut the grass at 8 on a weekday morning. ****ing madness.
    Monday to Friday should not be before 9-10
    Saturday not before 10/11
    Sunday not before 11/12

He is also potter about with a shovel for some reason at half seven this morning what the actual ****.

He is sound enough but a bit off.

I'm going to have to say something but not sure when and how

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I cut mine last Saturday at around 9. I had stuff to do later. Actually, it was the only time I had. Usually would be much later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

tampopo wrote: »
    I cut mine last Saturday at around 9. I had stuff to do later. Actually, it was the only time I had. Usually would be much later.

boo you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I always thought 7am was the cut off for early noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

This suburban neighbourhood, people generally cut their lawns around 10-11am on Saturday mornings, or 11-noon on Sundays. Everyone likes it - it's a summery, relaxed sound.

I'd be inclined to drop in to your neighbour and ask what time he thinks lawns should be cut. He probably didn't realised how late it was and will be embarrassed. If not… you'll sort it out between you.

Real lawn fanatics will only cut lawns in the evening, before the dew falls; better for the lawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

My neighbors are sponges living off the state, not worked a day in their lives, enjoy late nights so its with great pleasure I fire up that noisy petrol Briggs and Stratton engine at around 9am.

Advertisement