Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADDICTION CENTRE IN PRIORY VILLAS

Options
  • 30-04-2009 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all
    Did any of you happen to hear that Dr Gleeson's failed attempt to open an addiction treatment centre in Lios na Dara has lead to the good doctor opening one in his old surgery in Priory Villas? Right slap bang in the middle of a lovely residential area.
    Apparently no planning permission was required, some loophole or other no doubt, and therefore no objection can be made.
    Nice.
    Isn't anyone else outraged that the like of an addiction centre can go forward without planning permission?!
    I for one think it should be located in that new Medical Centre on the Bypass. I have it on good authority that there are plenty of vacant lots up there.
    CALL THE ARGUS!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭up the town

Id like to know why your so against an addiction centre, In a residential area. Its more of theese centres we need to help people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 chookie

are you telling me you'd be happy that a centre providing methadone to heroin addicts, with a catchment area that includes dundalk and drogheda,
    is the kind of place you'd be happy to have next door to your home? obviously i'm not the only person who feels like this or he would have opened it on the carrick road as planned. in fact i'm sure that if the people in priory villas and carol meade KNEW what was happening they would feel the same as me.
    i absolutely agree that we need to provid treatment centres, but in appropriate places!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Sir Rantsalot

Why is a doctor's surgery not an "appropriate place" to offer these treatments? Where would you suggest? - down a dark alleyway or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Why is a doctor's surgery not an "appropriate place" to offer these treatments? Where would you suggest? - down a dark alleyway or something?

I dont think a residential area is the right place for these either. I can't imagine many people would be happy having one in their neighbourhood

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Cant believe they would think of putting one of these centres in the same place as kids will be playing and families living.

Its just not right. I wouldnt feel safe in my own home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Sir Rantsalot

indiewindy wrote: »
    I dont think a residential area is the right place for these either. I can't imagine many people would be happy having one in their neighbourhood

But where would you like them to be?
    A lot of NIMBYism going on here but no alternative solutions offered.

[/quote]I for one think it should be located in that new Medical Centre on the Bypass. I have it on good authority that there are plenty of vacant lots up there. [/quote]

Not to put too fine a point on it....

The hospital would be good either too - what about the HSE building there?

I'm all for treating addictions, but I'm worried about my kids and my security, not to mention my house value which has already dropped into negative equity

And why the underhand method? Why hasn't this been more widely reported?! Like I said I can't be the only person to have legitmate concerns about this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I happen to work in such a centre, a center would have between 6-10 different professions working there. Form the above post it appears that the said GP will be seeing clients there. The is a limit to the amount of clients a GP can treat with methadone, so there won't be an invasion in the area.

More than likely all the will get there is some guidance and advise from the GP and a script for methadone which will have to be dispensed elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If I had kids I'd be happier with an addiction treatment centre in my area than nothing being done to aid drug addicts who are trying to quit.

While I appreciate your pov, and while I agree that we need centres to treat addicts, I am still of the opinion that there are more appropriate places to host them.
    As I pointed out already there is the medical facility on the bypass, the vacant lots in the proposed park street medical centre and of course the hospital.
    Call me a NIMBY, call me what you like, but certainly call me concerned for the welfare of my (mostly) elderly neighbours, the children who attend the Friary Primary School and of course the value of my property, which, as is the case for most Irish people, is already heading into negative equity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

What, ya think the people actually trying to sort themselves out by taking that dirt methadone would have the inclination or energy to break in someone or kidnap a kid?

I love the way negative equity is always mentioned at the end. BTW, "lovely residential area"? Wasn't there a murder not far around the corner a couple of years ago? And that was before the smackheads started affecting your house price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

It has to go somewhere,
    Anyone know why it couldn't it be put in the hospital? There should have been some kind of consultation with local residents so i understand the OPs frustration and anger at the decision to locate it in Priory Villas.
    Is this going to be more of a conselling service than a methadone clinic?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

sillyputty wrote: »
    It has to go somewhere,
    Anyone know why it couldn't it be put in the hospital? There should have been some kind of consultation with local residents so i understand the OPs frustration and anger at the decision to locate it in Priory Villas.
    Is this going to be more of a conselling service than a methadone clinic?

While I don't the details of the above center, it sound to me like its already a GP clinic, if so I doubt if there will be any counselling available, [by a therapist I mean]. So more than likely they with just get there scripts for meth there. I could be wrong be in general individual doctors don't set up treatment services, they treat within their own clinics.

Even within the medical profession there are significant issues around treating, for example we moved to a new building a nember of years ago. We took over the two floors that a psych clinic used to have. The Alcohol Services [who are different to the Addiction Services] have the bottom floor, they didn't want us there, did everything in their power to stop moving in, and hardly speak to us. That's a basic example.

I can understand the op's position, if he has not experience of addiction its natural for to take that position. I guess there will be some issues initially there always is. But that generally dies down quickly, and if it is only people getting scripts there, I wouldn't be too bother about it if it was near my home. Addicts are people at the end of the day, some cause trouble some don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Spanky Bob

Thing is that methadone is only dispensened from chemists and they only see the doctor or the counsellor or one of the other staff in the clinic once a week. People on methadone are stable and trying to get their act together

Advertisement