Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GMAT

• 30-04-2009 1:33pm

Applying to do the GMAT at the start of June. Will prepare well for it, but could always do with more info!

So anyone have any tips or pointers on this exam?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

I found the biggest challenge was time - if you download the sample exams/GMATprep software from GMAC at www.gmac.com you can get a feel for the interface you will use in the exam itself and the kind of time pressures you will have to deal with.

I thought that most of the questions themselves weren't that hard, but they can throw in a few tricky ones. They have a type of question they call 'data sufficiency' which were the toughest for me - they give you a question and then two statements/facts and you have to decide whether the statements allow you to answer the question (usually along the lines of 'statement A alone is sufficient', 'statement B alone is sufficient', 'statement A and B together are sufficient', 'need more information'). Practicing a bunch of these helped me get better at them.

I used one book to prepare, the official GMAT guide which you can find on Amazon. I found it pretty useful.

Some people say that the various prep courses are good, so you might want to look into those if you think they might help. I didn't do one so I can't give you any opinion I'm afraid.

Good luck with the GMAT, and good luck with whatever business school applications you are thinking of once the GMAT is out of the way!

Advertisement