Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huskies

Options
  • 30-04-2009 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question for anyone that owns a husky or knows someone who does. Are they a very vocal dog?

The reason I ask is that one of my neighbours has one, this dog howls from sun up till sun down. It sounds like its in pain or lonely. The DSPCA has been called but there is nothing they can do, the dog has food, water and shelter and the yard isnt excessivly dirty. It drives me mad!!! :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

They can be very vocal, they tend not to bark, but oh they do love a good howl. It sounds as though this one is incredibly bored and frustrated, they really need their exercise. Poor dog, could you not complain about the noise to the dog warden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

Like ISDW said, it sounds like that poor husky is very bored!
    My girl is quite vocal but its usually out of excitement when its time for walks etc. she sleeps right through the night and is very content, doesnt howl at all at night.
    I feel sorry for the poor dog, it must be very very bored!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Im guessing its bored. I figure that has to be it, why else would it howl constantly? Itd be different if it howled every now and then but this is ridiculous.

Yeah Huskys are also Diva's , even the guy dogs . My guy likes to complain all the time . At times you can just look at him and he howls . Great dogs though :)

Yeah Huskys are also Diva's , even the guy dogs . My guy likes to complain all the time . At times you can just look at him and he howls . Great dogs though :)

Yea, Im sure theyre lovely dogs, not so much when your trying to get some sleep and it goes on and on and on and on etc. Will it grow out of it? This has been happening for months.
    Ive always loved huskies but this ahs completely turned me off them altogether.
    Ive heard alsations can be quite noisy too but theres a fella down the road that owns one that rarely ever barks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

Puddleduck wrote: »
    Yea, Im sure theyre lovely dogs, not so much when your trying to get some sleep and it goes on and on and on and on etc. Will it grow out of it? This has been happening for months.
    Ive always loved huskies but this ahs completely turned me off them altogether.
    Ive heard alsations can be quite noisy too but theres a fella down the road that owns one that rarely ever barks.

To be honest in my opinion it sounds as if this dog just isnt stimulated enough or getting enough exercise! Huskies have so much energy and need alot of exercise to burn it off and need alot of mental stimulation because they are such a high energy breed.

And that would be down to the owner to ensure that their dog is getting all the physical and mental stimulation he needs. Id imagine that he's not getting enough of this and that the howling will probably continue unless his owners do something about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I wouldn't worry, it sounds like the owners have already lost interest in the poor dog and it will be gooten "rid of" soon enough.:mad:
    I do feel your pain though. Our neighbours have had dogs for over 20 years that bark all the time. Our other neighbours have even knocked into us thinking it had been our dogs. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Do they have more than 1 dog, and/or a lot of space? Sounds like the poor thing is probably lonely and bored. I'd have never considered getting a Husky if I didn't have other dogs and lots of space (and time).

They can be very vocal, my lad doesn't make a peep until one of the other dogs has a toy he wants, he'll lie down in front of them and make a whiney howling noise at them until he gets it. Or when he's about to be fed, heh.

koneko wrote: »
    Do they have more than 1 dog, and/or a lot of space? Sounds like the poor thing is probably lonely and bored. I'd have never considered getting a Husky if I didn't have other dogs and lots of space (and time).

They can be very vocal, my lad doesn't make a peep until one of the other dogs has a toy he wants, he'll lie down in front of them and make a whiney howling noise at them until he gets it. Or when he's about to be fed, heh.

As far as I know its just the one dog. Im sure he thought the dog looked pretty and did feck all research before buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I agree, the dog must not be getting enough exercise. My fella howls but not that much he will howl when he wants to come in or sees food etc but not constantly something definatly wrong there...maybe speak to the neighbours about it and ask why they think he does it so much, would they consider getting him some company?In my opinion to own a husky you have to either have two of them to keep company or some other dogs to play with as well as all there other needs, they are very social and hate being alone even for small ammounts of time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement