Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelie Bin Tidy Station

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

B&Q have something similar in plastic, not quite as nice looking as your pic.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=0000003723401&x=13&y=9

If the link doesnt work search for 0000003723401 on www.diy.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MaxieMc

cheers for the quick reply.
    Its not bad looking.
    Will go to B&Q and check this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

No worries. Where I saw them was in Liffey Valley, they are outside in the garden centre if you happen to be going to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Homebase have a plastic version that holds 2 large wheelie bins. I think it was green plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I'm pretty sure Argos do a similar wooden version.

Actually it's only a single one, sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

I just made up a wooden frame in a L shape with scrap wood which I covered with a roll of reed from argos (about 20 -25 euro) using a staple gun .The bins just roll in behind and I've trimed the height so that I can reach over to lift the bin lids. The bins are completely hidden from view and I think the structure looks better than that bought bin cover.

I've planted some tall grasses around the foot of the reed to soften the look further.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭waitingforBB

sounds good imkyrok. u have a pic I can model my work on? :-)

I'll see what i can do over the next day or two.

I'm afraid my technical know how wasn't a match for the job of getting a picture onto the site. However it was pretty straight forward.

I used three substantial fence posts . Dug holes and firmed them well in. Added a bar across the top about six inches from the final height I required. Another further down. And then used a nail gun with staples to attach the roll of reed to the frame. You could just buy staples and use a hammer if you don't have a nail gun. Be prepared for some bruised fingers though! If you live in a windy spot you might want to add a bar to the outside of the reeds as well. I basically ended up with an L shape - well an L on its side, which I could wheel 3 bins behind. I cut the posts and reed down to a level about six inches over the bins so that I can lift the lids and place refuse in the bins by simply reaching over the structure. I'm particularly "petite" so judge for yourself what height would be suitable.

It's not bad at all. I would prefer to have the bins out of sight at the back of the house but this is more convenient and with plenty of planting around it sort of blends in with the tall grasses and shrubs.

The reed in Argos I used is a bit brightly coloured and I would recommend you go for the ones in the garden centres which are made from hazel stems and are darker (and stronger). They are more expensive though. But having used them in the past in my garden they do blend in better and if the one from Argos doesn't mellow a bit with the weather I'll probably end up recovering it with the darker one.

Hope that's useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bruscar10

<SNIP>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

Bruscar10 wrote: »
    <SNIP>

The OP said, in April 2009, that they are "...getting my garden landscaped in the next couple of months..."".

Thus to reply 10 months later seems to be another attempt on your part for free advertising.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bruscar10 has been perma banned for advertising, also posts removed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement