Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk COC Printing Gaff

Options
  • 30-04-2009 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Listening to liveline and heard this. Dundalk Chamber of Commerce have distributed leaflets encouraging people to shop locally and support local business rather than shopping over the border. However, the contract for the printing of the leaflets was given to a Newry firm instead of a local company or even a company from the republic.

Full story below.
    DUNDALK Chamber of Commerce boss Bill Tosh has defended the chamber's decision to get their Easter flyer which promoted value in Dundalk shops printed across the border.

The 'Dundalk Fighting Back' leaflet, which was distributed to homes and businesses in the town, featured offers from 13 local shops and businesses.

A Dundalk printer has complained that ' it is somewhat ironic that the Chamber of Commerce was trying to encourage people to shop in Dundalk yet got t h i s yet it didn't go to a local firm.'

Chamber CEO Bill Tosh stated that 'the Easter flyer attempted to selectively platform best-value items available in Dundalk, to address the myth that everything north of the border was cheaper.'

He said that the leaflet did not invite Dundalk shoppers to only shop locally, only pointed out instances where they could get good value.

The Chamber obtained quotes from two local printers for printing the flyers but went with a Northern Ireland firm after it came in cheaper.

' We always seek local quotes but equally are always obliged to extract best value for our limited budget,' said Tosh, adding that the campaign had been a great success for the participating businesses.

However, it emerged that one only Dundalk firm was asked to price the job, with the other quote being obtained from a Drogheda company despite the fact that there are four printing companies in town.

- Margaret RODDY
    source: http://www.argus.ie/news/chamber-defends-leaflet-printing-1723251.html

What can you say? Their stupidity is depressing, it really is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭peejay1986

The word 'hyprocrites' srpings to mind.

I love the quote;
    "We always seek local quotes but equally are always obliged to extract best value for our limited budget"

That is exactly the same with the general public!! Given the choice I'm sure 99% of the public would choose to shop in the republic but its simply a matter of getting value for money.

They have simply no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

So its actually ok for me to obtained the best deal with my limited budget????
    ANd in doing so.....do my shopping in newry too???

I do my weekly shopping in newry and the day to day purchases in the local privately owned shop here in dundalk.

IMO there is no way that the COC can justify going north for the printing when they are preaching to us about keeping our money locally.

So it's a case of do as I say...not as I do, for those in the chamber.

I wonder what their members think of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Article in the Independent

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/contract-to-print-shop-local-flyers-given-to-uk-firm-1725716.html

Good to see we are all in this together! To quote From Dusk till Dawn "Do what I say not what I do"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

:D

for god sake. If ever was a time to refuse to comment on a matter. Youre making it worse Bill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Brilliant, had a bad run in with bill tosh so loving to see im make a howler as obvious as this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Bunch of idiots. Makes a joke of the whole leaflet. Why would anybody bother reading it or believing it if the chamber of commerce have said themselves that the better value is up North. If anything this will drive more consumers from the town. If i was one of the shops on that leaflet i'd be looking for heads to roll over this

Advertisement