Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tintern Abbey - Photos, Info Please

Options
  • 30-04-2009 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am trying to find some photos of Tintern Abbey. I have googled but only the same few photos crop up which arent that informative.

Just wondering if anyone has taken some photos of the abbey themselves which they wouldnt mind sharing. Perhaps they are on flickr or photbucket etc. Other info about the abbey is appreciated also

All help welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

Hey there, I may have some photos lurking on my hard drive...will have to check my main PC for you. .....What do you need them for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

snellers wrote: »
    Hey there, I may have some photos lurking on my hard drive...will have to check my main PC for you. .....What do you need them for?

possible engagment proposal location...shhhh!! ;)

Also, does anyone have directions to the abbey. Google maps seems to throw up several possibilities and I'm not familiar with the area.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

Also, does anyone have directions to the abbey. Google maps seems to throw up several possibilities and I'm not familiar with the area.

Thanks again

Easily found. Where are you coming from?

P.S. I propose you walk up to the end of Curracloe beach on a sunny day and do it there!

Easily found. Where are you coming from?

P.S. I propose you walk up to the end of Curracloe beach on a sunny day and do it there!

I'll be either coming from Dublin or Arklow. Probably much of a muchness

The reason I was thinking of the abbey as opposed to the beach or anywehre else is due to the fact that my gf loves old abbeys/ruins etc.

I thought tintern seemed nice enough especially when i saw some of the photos with the water backdrop

• Advertisement

I'll be either coming from Dublin or Arklow. Probably much of a muchness

The reason I was thinking of the abbey as opposed to the beach or anywehre else is due to the fact that my gf loves old abbeys/ruins etc.

I thought tintern seemed nice enough especially when i saw some of the photos with the water backdrop

It is nice.

Head to Wexford town and then out the 'New Line' to Wellingtonbridge via the Duncannon Roundabout.

Keep going through Wellingtonbridge towards Arthurstown/Ballyhack and a few miles past the village you will see a sign for Tintern Abbey, turn left and then its just down the road on the right.

Basically a straight shot from Wexford town. The abbey is well signposted.

much appreciated southofnowhere

by any chance do you know what the story is when it comes to accessing the abbey and surrounding grounds. do you have to pay, are there many visitors etc.

I'm obviously looking for a quiet opportunity when there are few around etc.

It's free. You have full access to everywhere. Ruins are nice and cleaned up now.

Not too many visitors at all. And most set off walking around the trails, so in all likelihood ye will have the abbey itself all to yourselves.

It's free. You have full access to everywhere. Ruins are nice and cleaned up now.

Not too many visitors at all. And most set off walking around the trails, so in all likelihood ye will have the abbey itself all to yourselves.

thanks again for all the info! much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

Abbey is free? I could have sworn when I took my nieces there last year we had to pay an entry fee.....maybe it was just for the guidebook or something else....or maybe I am just getting old and forgetful!

• Advertisement

snellers wrote: »
    Abbey is free? I could have sworn when I took my nieces there last year we had to pay an entry fee.....maybe it was just for the guidebook or something else....or maybe I am just getting old and forgetful!

Really?

I dunno, I walk the dog there regularly enough, never see anyone looking for money - thank god!

Can't remember it in 'busy season' either. It's a fairly open shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

Yea its free access to the grounds but i think theres a visitor centre/ cafe there too which may require payment.
    Bewarned that the grounds do close in the evening, not sure the time.

As for proposing to your girlfriend, well it is nice but is it that nice?
    I dunno each to their own, enjoy and anyway and hope she says yes!!

Yea its free access to the grounds but i think theres a visitor centre/ cafe there too which may require payment.
    Bewarned that the grounds do close in the evening, not sure the time.

There's no visitors centre. Think closing time is a round 7 p.m. at the moment (off the top of my head).

And best of luck from here too!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Tintern Abbey, Saltmills, New Ross, Co. Wexford
    http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/South-East/TinternAbbey/

The John F Kennedy Arboretum, New Ross, Co.Wexford
    http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/South-East/TheJohnFKennedyArboretum/

Woodstock Gardens, Inistioge, Co.Kilkenny
    http://www.woodstock.ie/

I've never been there before so I'm not sure how nice it is, hence my posting here!

I think i'll be going on a visit to check it out myself in advance soon enough.

It may not be suitable at all!

hmmm, you want to propose to your girlfriend and she like old buildings....what about looking into bringing her away for a weekend to unusual 'landmark' property. You can book such accommodation through the Irish Landmark Trust. Someone told me about this before. I've never used them so I cant tell you much only give you the web link.

Also, kilkenny castle may be in better condition to show her Tintern. I havent been to tintern so I can't really tell you what condition it is in.

Let's us know how you get on. When do you plan on popping the question?
    Also let us know if you decide to take her down to the South East. I know a good selection of nice place to wine and dine your finance to be.

Regards
    BFG

thanks for all your help baronflyguy! really appreciated. I'm still only working things through myself

my gf has a pechant for old monasteries and abbeys i(even in ruins) n particular. part of the reason of this is beacuse she is a soprano and a lot of the music she sings is religious in tone and originates from such buildings.

therefore i know it may seem weird but thte fact that tintern may be in somehwat ruins doesnt actaully detract especially as from the photos ive seen, the grounds seem nice as well.

I will check out those links you sent as well and report back!

ok, I decided to visit Tintern Abbey myself at the weekend. I really like the place. The abbey is, well, just an abbey but the grounds are amazing. The water running through the place and the pedestrian bridge is really cool also.

ok, I decided to visit Tintern Abbey myself at the weekend. I really like the place. The abbey is, well, just an abbey but the grounds are amazing. The water running through the place and the pedestrian bridge is really cool also.
    I must put it on my 'places to visit' list this summer. I remember my dad bringing me there when I was a very young lad but I cant remember what it looks like.

I must put it on my 'places to visit' list this summer. I remember my dad bringing me there when I was a very young lad but I cant remember what it looks like.

It is a nice place alright. I took some "very amateur" photos while I was there. You can view then if you like.

I took them so I could remember what the place was like and identify any possible proposal locations (if I decide to do it there)

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww275/TechnoFreek/tintern/

• Advertisement
Advertisement