Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Canada?

Options
  • 30-04-2009 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anyone that fecked off to canada?
    Im thinking of going, im an electrician but i have no idea where to start looking about going bout it?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Anyone know anyone that fecked off to canada?
    Im thinking of going, im an electrician but i have no idea where to start looking about going bout it?

Cheers

usit do a 1year whv but i think its finished for 09. there is a skilled migrant visa too that you can get from the embassy, probably takes a while to get though, as in years.
    im heading over myself at the end of may, doubt il be back here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

how about visiting Canada for a month, on a visitor's visa, meet some people and see if you can make any work contacts, then return home and apply for a work visa from outside Canada?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

all the 1 year visas are gone for 2009, and the waiting list has shut down. i would advise saving some money and applying for a 2010 visa - this year they opened in december, so snap one up quickly.

defo recommend canada - saying that things have slowed down work wise, so have some savings, as you might be waiting a month or 2 to find something

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭lilirish

Can I jump on this band wagon aswell??

I'm considering thinking about Canada aswell for about 6 months...I had a look at the usit website as you mentioned there's no visas for this year left.

Anyone know of any good links to have a look at?

Anyone know how any other method of gettin a working visa?

Thinking about going for 6 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

As far as I know USIT have it sewn up. There is probably only a limited amount of 1 year visas given out for Irish people each year, and according to USIT they are gone now.

You could try going direct to the Canadian Embassy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭lilirish

USIT are re-opening the 18 - 35 working holiday visas programme on tuesday at 10am.

Its on first come first serve basis so get in there quick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 FANTASTIC

Ye so post it on boards so more people can find out and reduce your chances getting one!:rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

kcb wrote: »
    You could try going direct to the Canadian Embassy.

Has anyone tried the non USIT route? USIT seems to offer incredibly bad value for money with their visa thing.

Thinking of going on the student 1 year visa USIT are offering in December but considering going to the embassy instead. I have no idea where to start though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23 soccermad1

just to let all the irish know im over in toronto with my girlfriend for the last month ,there is very little work over here so dont get your hopes up,there was 12 of us out last sat and 5 had jobs ,on average after 6 weeks out here.we still are not working and believe me we are not being fussy we have tried everywhere.like everywhere else work is drying up .i saw all the jobs listed on craigslist etc before i left and thought great,but we have applied for about 200 jobs between us and got 3 phone calls back,which didnt work out.im not saying dont come ,im just saying dont expect to start work straight away,as another month of this and ill be back on the plane to ireland,which sickens me.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭poppet84

soccermad1 wrote: »
    just to let all the irish know im over in toronto with my girlfriend for the last month ,there is very little work over here so dont get your hopes up,there was 12 of us out last sat and 5 had jobs ,on average after 6 weeks out here.we still are not working and believe me we are not being fussy we have tried everywhere.like everywhere else work is drying up .i saw all the jobs listed on craigslist etc before i left and thought great,but we have applied for about 200 jobs between us and got 3 phone calls back,which didnt work out.im not saying dont come ,im just saying dont expect to start work straight away,as another month of this and ill be back on the plane to ireland,which sickens me.

Awh no! Sorry to hear that!

Anyone know how it is in Vancouver.....is it the same?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

AFAIK you have to apply for and be offered a job before you enter Canada, and you can only be offered a job that no Canadian has taken. As in it's been advertised for months and never been filled. Once you have the job offer on the table you can apply for a visa/work permit.

It's a long arduous task from what I hear. Google British Expats and look at the Canada section of their Wiki and the message board for more up to date information.

Apparently it helps if you have an immigration lawyer working for you ...

AFAIK you have to apply for and be offered a job before you enter Canada, and you can only be offered a job that no Canadian has taken. As in it's been advertised for months and never been filled. Once you have the job offer on the table you can apply for a visa/work permit.

It's a long arduous task from what I hear. Google British Expats and look at the Canada section of their Wiki and the message board for more up to date information.

Apparently it helps if you have an immigration lawyer working for you ...

No,when going through USIT...it's actually recommended you DON'T have a job! Once you have your visa you're good to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

oh okay so, ignore me!! :D

I was going by what I was told last year when I was in Vancouver on holiday :)

oh okay so, ignore me!! :D

I was going by what I was told last year when I was in Vancouver on holiday :)

Haha no you're right when it comes to dealing with the embassy but with usit, you don't need a job till you get there !;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

Myself and my boyfriend are going to Canada in early September for a year. We're thinking Edmonton as I've aunts there, if not there, then Toronto or Vancouver. He's all excited and confident about it. I'm more wary about how much savings we'll have and how quick we'll get any sort of a job and somewhere to live. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Finkel 27

Work in Toronto

Me and a friend are heading to Toronto next week and we are concerned on the jobs situation in Toronto, from what I have heard the economy in Canada is starting to slow down there, im a quantity surveyor so i am wondering what the construction market is like, even labouring on a building site as that will do fine, im not picky with what kind of work i get just as long as i get something, i know i wont walk straight into a job im hoping to get something within 6 wks when i land,

any advice you could offer could be really appreciate

Thanks
    Fin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dianababyddori

poppet84 wrote: »
    Awh no! Sorry to hear that!

Anyone know how it is in Vancouver.....is it the same?

My cousin just went over to vancouver with her boyfriend.
    She said that the construction area has dried up totally but that theres loads of shop jobs. she just got a job in america eagle but her boyfriend whos an electrician hasnt got anything...

She was saying that every single little job have proper interviews and that took up alot of her time when she went over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Happyduck02

Same as that. My boyfriend and I have been in Vancouver for almost 4 weeks now and still no luck with jobs despite applying almost everywhere and being stuck on Craigslist for half the day. The only thing lifting my spirits is the glorious weather! Isn't it horrible how you think you're leaving Ireland to get away from the recession only to find that things aren't as good here as everyone was making them out to be? As you say, the last thing we want to do is get on a plane back to Ireland sooner than we thought, but try not to give up hope! We're refusing to give in, even if we have to wait until the well runs dry and we go back to Ireland with not a cent in our pockets! Either that, or I'll be grabbing a trolley and joining the homeless - they seem to do ok!!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

My cousin just went over to vancouver with her boyfriend.
    She said that the construction area has dried up totally but that theres loads of shop jobs. she just got a job in america eagle but her boyfriend whos an electrician hasnt got anything...

She was saying that every single little job have proper interviews and that took up alot of her time when she went over.

I'm going to Vancouver in Sept, did your cousin work in retail previously?

I've been working in a shop for the past year, and am planning to look for a similar job when I go over, but I'm a bit worried that employers won't think i have enough experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CocoPops25

Hi,

I have been applying for jobs non stop in Ireland and in UK over the last 8 months or so and no luck but a few of my friends have been talking about going to Canada to work but are there any jobs?

Just following the thread and is it hard to get a visa to Canada?

• Advertisement

CocoPops25 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been applying for jobs non stop in Ireland and in UK over the last 8 months or so and no luck but a few of my friends have been talking about going to Canada to work but are there any jobs?

Just following the thread and is it hard to get a visa to Canada?

The Under-35 Visa Programme seems to be filled up, but you can add yourself to the waitlist here: http://canada.usit.ie/

Maybe check out the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website as well (http://www.cic.gc.ca) to see if you are eligible to apply for the Skilled Worker visa or something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CocoPops25

Thanks Graham for the reply, it is really helpful. Would you say or would anyone else know is the waiting for the working visa's in Canada really long?

I'll give USIT a buzz on Monday and see sure too. Pretty sick of the endless job reject letters at this stage :(

CocoPops25 wrote: »
    Thanks Graham for the reply, it is really helpful. Would you say or would anyone else know is the waiting for the working visa's in Canada really long?

I'll give USIT a buzz on Monday and see sure too. Pretty sick of the endless job reject letters at this stage :(

I'm not sure how long the wait would be.
    I'd say your best bet would be registering for the waiting list, you'll be given a number in the queue, and that should give you a fairly good idea of what you're chances are!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mst

A good website for job hunting ishttp://www.jobbank.gc.ca/Intro_eng.aspx
    they always seem to have a good selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

Same as that. My boyfriend and I have been in Vancouver for almost 4 weeks now and still no luck with jobs despite applying almost everywhere and being stuck on Craigslist for half the day. The only thing lifting my spirits is the glorious weather! Isn't it horrible how you think you're leaving Ireland to get away from the recession only to find that things aren't as good here as everyone was making them out to be? As you say, the last thing we want to do is get on a plane back to Ireland sooner than we thought, but try not to give up hope! We're refusing to give in, even if we have to wait until the well runs dry and we go back to Ireland with not a cent in our pockets! Either that, or I'll be grabbing a trolley and joining the homeless - they seem to do ok!!! lol

What did ye do for accomodation when ye got there, despite not having jobs yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Finkel 27 wrote: »
    Work in Toronto

Me and a friend are heading to Toronto next week and we are concerned on the jobs situation in Toronto, from what I have heard the economy in Canada is starting to slow down there, im a quantity surveyor so i am wondering what the construction market is like, even labouring on a building site as that will do fine, im not picky with what kind of work i get just as long as i get something, i know i wont walk straight into a job im hoping to get something within 6 wks when i land,

any advice you could offer could be really appreciate

Thanks
    Fin

theres plenty of construction going on in toronto at the moment and i met a few ppl in the hostel that were labouring! id imagine it would be easy to get construction work as long as you arent too picky. theres also plenty of signs up outside restaurants/shops/bars etc looking for staff. that being said i have talked to plenty of ppl who were struggling to find work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 therandomgirlie

Can i join in here aswel pleaaase.? twenty year old wee girlie non student and the plan is to head off out of ireland, canada seems close nuf, im a qualified beauty therapist but not too bothered in getting work in that area, would love a change. So am i right in thinking the best ting to do is just go on the waiting list with usit.? no look for a job before i go or wat.? when do they start givin out visas again.? also any help with regard to the same subject on movin to america would help too.?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 soccermad1

got to agree with the girl in vancouver ,im in toronto came all the way from ireland with my girlfriend ,and after 2 months she just got a part time job and i still have nothing despite applying for anything that is going ,and i mean anything ,i spend hours everyday on job bank and craigslist but people just are not hiring,labour construction electrical none of these are hiring,cant even get a job for 10 dollers an hour.BE CAREFUL BEFORE YOU LEAVE IRELAND AND HAVE A GOOD BIT OF SAVINGS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

uh-oh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

soccermad1 wrote: »
    got to agree with the girl in vancouver ,im in toronto came all the way from ireland with my girlfriend ,and after 2 months she just got a part time job and i still have nothing despite applying for anything that is going ,and i mean anything ,i spend hours everyday on job bank and craigslist but people just are not hiring,labour construction electrical none of these are hiring,cant even get a job for 10 dollers an hour.BE CAREFUL BEFORE YOU LEAVE IRELAND AND HAVE A GOOD BIT OF SAVINGS

Nothing in supermarkets or bars or general office work temping?

Advertisement