Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Canada?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kod137

This post has been deleted.

ya you should be fine to get bar work, a lot of the bars are franchises here, so when you apply to one, your resume gets passed around to the others. Plenty of money to be made in tips, and plenty of irishish bars around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

coming over in two weeks to toronto. contimplating going to halifax to see if we can work. my girlfriend is dreading the prospect of another bar job. i dont mind. but then again, if it was only retail sales jobs going, i'd be dreading it too.

cant ****in wait anyway!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bazpaul

guys i have searched the forum but no found an answer to this:

You have to be in ireland to get the canada visa? do you know anyone who was abraod during the whole application and got into canada??? is there another place to get the visa??

im in Oz and wanna go straight to canada!!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

this has come up before, it seems that there has been no one here who has attempted this or at least been successful if they have.. you could try the local canadian embassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭NakedMonkey

Just saw a news article with this in it so hoping it's good news

VANCOUVER — A bounce in job postings in June might represent the first real sign of economic recovery, according to the president of the job market research company that conducted the employment survey.

“It’s really quite noteworthy that after seven or eight months of declines, we’re seeing the first real turnaround,” CareerAIM president David Forster said in an interview Monday.

His company’s June Canadian Job Market Report showed B.C. job postings rose by 10.8 per cent from May to June to 18,235 and 8.7 per cent nationwide to 204,200.

Has anybody noticed a difference in jobs advertised over in Toronto and Vancouver? I have to say I've noticed a few more being put on monster.ca and bcjobs.com myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

mr nakedmoney this is good news. hopefully the same can be said for jobs in toronto. im off in september and relying on a job in the meeja

Just saw a news article with this in it so hoping it's good news

VANCOUVER — A bounce in job postings in June might represent the first real sign of economic recovery, according to the president of the job market research company that conducted the employment survey.

“It’s really quite noteworthy that after seven or eight months of declines, we’re seeing the first real turnaround,” CareerAIM president David Forster said in an interview Monday.

His company’s June Canadian Job Market Report showed B.C. job postings rose by 10.8 per cent from May to June to 18,235 and 8.7 per cent nationwide to 204,200.

Has anybody noticed a difference in jobs advertised over in Toronto and Vancouver? I have to say I've noticed a few more being put on monster.ca and bcjobs.com myself

Just read another article a while ago and it says Ontario job postings were up almost 20%. Don't want to get ppl's hopes up though as it did say this may be a once off. There's no harm in crossing your fingers though! :)

bonkers wrote: »
    mr nakedmoney this is good news. hopefully the same can be said for jobs in toronto. im off in september and relying on a job in the meeja

What date in September is your flight? I'll be heading on the 8th but heading to Edmonton a few hours after landing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭buccsboyo

I find this one of the best papers to keep track of what is going on in the Canadian economy. Getting mixed reports as seen below but for the most part there is positive news coming.

http://www.financialpost.com/most-popular/story.html?id=1757280

http://www.financialpost.com/most-popular/story.html?id=1767297

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

Just heard that when some one is moving to Canada they have to register their degree with some part of the Canadian govnerment. Is this ture? If so, can someone tell me how to do it as a friend is leaving soon and wants to get it sorted. I heard it from lads that are over there now and had to wait 2 months over there to get it sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

bonkers wrote: »
    this has come up before, it seems that there has been no one here who has attempted this or at least been successful if they have.. you could try the local canadian embassy.

I know of someon that did it and got away with it. She was here in Canada on holiday and applied for the visa. She sent it to her ma to send to usit (Irish postmark etc)
    She nearly got caught cos of the paper being legal (canadian standard) size, rather than A4. I think she had to go home to be interviewed in person, so you might need to be prepared for that at some point

Just heard that when some one is moving to Canada they have to register their degree with some part of the Canadian govnerment. Is this ture? If so, can someone tell me how to do it as a friend is leaving soon and wants to get it sorted. I heard it from lads that are over there now and had to wait 2 months over there to get it sorted!

It depends on the type of degree. Most degrees need to be checked over by some kind of agency. They won't recognise medical, teaching degrees etc without going through some process.
    If you're coming here, bring as much proof of the degree as you can get. Degrees, proof of exam marks, all the papers you can find. It's a lot easier to get from home than from across the pond.
    I have an IT degree, which they dont check on.
    I know of a lot of people here with a qualification from their home country that couldn't get it recognised, eg. Philipino Paediatrician workin reception and a Russian Nuclear physicist doing recruitment.
    A real shame to see that kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

JæKæ wrote: »
    It depends on the type of degree. Most degrees need to be checked over by some kind of agency. They won't recognise medical, teaching degrees etc without going through some process.
    If you're coming here, bring as much proof of the degree as you can get. Degrees, proof of exam marks, all the papers you can find. It's a lot easier to get from home than from across the pond.
    I have an IT degree, which they dont check on.
    I know of a lot of people here with a qualification from their home country that couldn't get it recognised, eg. Philipino Paediatrician workin reception and a Russian Nuclear physicist doing recruitment.
    A real shame to see that kind of thing

When you say "some sort of agency" is that a Canadian agency??

When you say "some sort of agency" is that a Canadian agency??

It is for teaching. A place called WES. for other degrees, you'll have to research it

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

I started looking for work here in Vancouver early in January, tried monster.ca & craigslist first. Then tried workopolis.ca also. Ended up getting my third non-agency interview setup about mid february, scheduled for early march. Had to have a copy of a police cert (like the one required for the usit application) faxed over and voila, was offered the job eventually, starting the last week of March (Datacenter Technician with a Colocation Provider here in Downtown Vancouver) - offered a contract for the full remainder of my visa - which was handy, with the door left open on keeping me on-board after that date - so hopefully I can get a work permit issued then, and eventually stay permanently if things work out that way.

The company I am with has also started hiring more since June definitely - so I think things are picking up a bit as companies aren't panicking to the same extent that they were in the first quarter which was a very depressing time for jobs & economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭donkey balls

i applied to a canadian company a couple of months ago got an e-mail back inviting me for an interveiw(have to pay own flights erc).

the company will sponsor you and look after visa etc as one of my occupations is classed under skill migration for canada.

so if you know any artic drivers looking for a change in scene Canadian companies are hiring

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

anyone got any good job sites/agencies for getting temp work or construction/ general labouring jobs. I hear they pay reasonably well. Just looking for something to keep me ticking over until i start more serious work in september. Im in Toronto btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kod137

mac123 wrote: »
    anyone got any good job sites/agencies for getting temp work or construction/ general labouring jobs. I hear they pay reasonably well. Just looking for something to keep me ticking over until i start more serious work in september. Im in Toronto btw.

This site has loads of agencies, but you'll have to scroll through them all to see which suits you. There are construction/labouring temps in there somewhere, not sure which ones but I have seen them there.

http://www.jobagencies.ca/index.asp?p=1&sp=1

Found some more trade agencies:

__Human Resources and Skills Development Canada__\\
    [http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/labour_mobility/index.shtml]
    \\''Information required for trade workers, including information about the Red Seal Program.''

__The International Standards Red Seal Program__\\
    [http://www.red-seal.ca/Site/index_e.shtml]
    \\''This Web site will enable you to learn more about the Red Seal Program, apprenticeship, national standards and trade certification. Is regarded as the best way to guarantee work for immigrants.''

__Canada Trade Jobs__\\
    [http://www.canadatradejobs.com/]
    \\''Canada’s needs skilled tradesmen. With vast natural resources and many construction projects, and an aging workforce, hiring foreign workers can help Canadian firms prosper.''

__Western Canada Jobs__\\
    [http://www.westerncanadajobs.com/]
    \\''Western Canada Placement Consultants has a mission to supply tradesmen to western Canada.''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭magicwand

hows the I.T industry in vancouver at the moment does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AngieNY

I've been there-I practically spent the whole summer looking for wk in 2008(altho in fairness we were prob too busy partying to give the jobsearch the best of efforts) Anyway by Sep I ended up landing 2 bar jobs in the space of a week...best to get your resume and pound the streets(forget the websites)...IMO try and get barwork $$$$-try and get somewhere near where the Leafs play as bars/restaurants get soooo busy come Hockey season...also get yourself a smartserve card online...don't give up-before u know it you'll be wishing for a day off

• Advertisement

JNive wrote: »
    I started looking for work here in Vancouver early in January, tried monster.ca & craigslist first. Then tried workopolis.ca also. Ended up getting my third non-agency interview setup about mid february, scheduled for early march. Had to have a copy of a police cert (like the one required for the usit application) faxed over and voila, was offered the job eventually, starting the last week of March (Datacenter Technician with a Colocation Provider here in Downtown Vancouver) - offered a contract for the full remainder of my visa - which was handy, with the door left open on keeping me on-board after that date - so hopefully I can get a work permit issued then, and eventually stay permanently if things work out that way.

The company I am with has also started hiring more since June definitely - so I think things are picking up a bit as companies aren't panicking to the same extent that they were in the first quarter which was a very depressing time for jobs & economy.

Hey JNive,

What sort of experience was required for that sort of job? I'm heading to Edmonton at start of September but would go to Vancouver if I had a job. I'm currently doing tech support in IBM and would prefer to stay in that field.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mariemar***

Hiya, does anyone have a tried-and-tested resume template I could get from you? Need to turn my CV into a resume!
    Thanks ~

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭TedDiBiase

Hiya, does anyone have a tried-and-tested resume template I could get from you? Need to turn my CV into a resume!
    Thanks ~

Good idea. I'll be needing that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

Does not seem to be much difference between our CV's and theirs really? Or am i missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 paddycanada

I am from Calgary and I just got back to Ireland from a trip there. There are still jobs going, although harder to find, but Alberta is the place to be. Construction and oil are two main drivers of the economy. Compared to hear, Canadians don't understand the definition of recession, and most over there seem to think that Canada is coming out of it. Anyone need any other help let me know.

Hey, there isn't really much difference but I've heard Canadian recruiters prefer a cv kept to one page (assumably due large number of applicants) and don't want details like Nationality, sex, DOB etc... A cover note is requested instead for anything not in your cv that you think applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

I've heard Canadian recruiters prefer a cv kept to one page (assumably due large number of applicants)

This isnt true, all the recruiters I have been to have told me not to abridge it too much. Keep it under 3 pages, but not less than two and youre laughing.

DOB and sex arent required though. Past experience, and education primarily is what goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dandm

Hi all, great thread about Canada, just wondering, has anyone applied for a visa for Canada without going through Usit?

• Advertisement

Hey, no, USIT seems to be the only option. Unless you have a British Passport in which case you can go through BUNAC. I haven't had a problem with them so far anyway & there seems to be a bit of support when you get over there through SWAP & everything.

Advertisement