Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Canada?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Hi Leimrod,

Do you mind me asking how much they charged for this service? I hear immigration lawyers etc., can be very expensive, but it's something I've been thinking about myself...

A lawyer or consultant can cost you $3000 and then some, I don't believe they are neccessary as you have to do all the work yourself anyway, there is a checklist with the application just follow it and you'll be fine, if you miss something out in your application Canadian immigration will just send it back to you so as to fill it out properly it will only cost you time, also the website below maybe a help to you, lawyers and consultants post on there and will answer any questions you may have.
    http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 arthur1982

were is best place in canada for work as im going over

• Registered Users Posts: 14 cibies

Anyone?
    cibies wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm a relatively newbie here. I am thinking of heading to Canada in 2011. I am a Mechanical Engineer with over 3 years experience working in heavy plant engineering. Are there any other similiar engineers on here? Would ye be able to tell me what the job prospects are like? To be honest if I couldn't get a mechanical engineering job I would go for anything really. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭La La

AFAIK you have to apply for and be offered a job before you enter Canada, and you can only be offered a job that no Canadian has taken. As in it's been advertised for months and never been filled. Once you have the job offer on the table you can apply for a visa/work permit.

It's a long arduous task from what I hear. Google British Expats and look at the Canada section of their Wiki and the message board for more up to date information.

Apparently it helps if you have an immigration lawyer working for you ...

None of this applies to getting a USIT visa.

As for needing an immigration lawyer, you certainly don't need one when applying for a skilled worker permit (which is what I'm here on).

When you apply for a job your would-be employer goes to the LMO who must issue you with a thumbs up before you can apply for the visa itself. *Instead of doing this through London which would have taken ages, I simply flew to Canada to start my job and did this all in 20 mins at the border*

Pizzle79 wrote: »
    gonna apply for legal status once im over cause i am in a long term relationship with a Canadian girl and if we can prove this , i am entitled to live and work there legally. Anyone else have any experience doing this , should the fact that i am staying in one spot longer make it easier to find employment.

word of warning, it can be a long - and expensive - process. friend of mine only just got hers - it took 14 months from when the application (which was huge) was sent in, she was required to stay as a resident in canada and not allowed to work during that time. (she had one short visit back to ireland). and once you have the card it doesn't make it any easier getting work. she used an immigration lawyer which was pretty costly. you can do it without one, just make sure you follow that checklist! I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom - just warning you what some experiences are like!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

La La wrote: »
    word of warning, it can be a long - and expensive - process. friend of mine only just got hers - it took 14 months from when the application (which was huge) was sent in, she was required to stay as a resident in canada and not allowed to work during that time. (she had one short visit back to ireland). and once you have the card it doesn't make it any easier getting work. she used an immigration lawyer which was pretty costly. you can do it without one, just make sure you follow that checklist! I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom - just warning you what some experiences are like!!

The equivalent in Ireland can take five years, the Canadian process of about 2 years is actually quiet short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭La La

mairtin888 wrote: »
    The equivalent in Ireland can take five years, the Canadian process of about 2 years is actually quiet short.

I don't see how comparing it to Ireland is relevant here, given that this forum is about people coming to Canada....
    And that may be the case, but it's still a tough process to go through, 2 years or not.

La La wrote: »
    I don't see how comparing it to Ireland is relevant here, given that this forum is about people coming to Canada....
    And that may be the case, but it's still a tough process to go through, 2 years or not.

It's relevant as it puts into perspective the length of time that it takes to get a work permit for Canada in comparison to other countries, e.g. Ireland. The process for Canada whilst tough, is not as tough or as long as other countries, e.g. Ireland. Ireland is a good example to use as this forum is Irish and many of it's users are Irish.

Anyone heading to this? It was cancelled last year, as in it was just a seminar and not an expo. I guess this was due to lack of interest, but I would expect a big interest this year. Does anyone have any information on previous years? I am more wondering on if employers will be there. From the website, it seems there are only recruitment agenices.

http://www.expo-canada.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jackoman

I'll try not to repeat myself from my introduction on the Living in/Going to Canada? Pop in here and say hello! thread. I will keep this to the work and residency side of things.

Work in Canada slowed down a lot last year with the economic downturns hitting them hard too. I was cut down on my work too, and it was rough for the year, but things are starting to look better this year already. Canada is on a high note right now after the Winter Olympics, and property prices are still on the up in some of the cities.

Like most people have said, you are going on a work and travel visa, which is mainly not meant for making a career out of things. However, I used the visa to get work in my profession and it worked out quite well. I just had to get the equivalent of the Canadian license and I was good to go. So whatever profession or trade you have, bear in mind you will most likely have to get the Canadian equivalent in order to work in it.
    While I was waiting for my visa from Usit, I went over to Canada and did the necessary training to get my Canadian equivalency so I would be ready to work as soon as the visa was issued, not losing any time of the 12 months I had.
    (Quoted from a Canadian Visa website) If you wish to study in a short-term course or program:
    You do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada.
    Entry requirements for Irish nationals: Irish nationals must hold a passport valid for the period of intended stay. A visa is not required for stays of up to six months.

If you want to do labour or work in bars and restaurants and things they might like a bit of experience in the service industry under your belt, but those and retail, administration jobs and the tourism industry will be your best bet. When I go up to Whistler during the summer and winter, almost everyone that works there is form another country.

When I got my Under 35 visa from Usit I wasn't in Ireland, I applied online and sent my paperwork home to the family who sent it in, and then had my brother pick up my documents for me. Just be careful, like was said before, make sure you use A4 paper, as I warned a friend of mine to that and they almost caught him out on it. They might be stricter now about it, not really sure. To my knowledge, being Irish, we have to go through Usit, and they are the only option.

The big cites are not cheap to live in. Vancouver is ranked one of the best cities in the world to live in, so there will be a price to live there. Dont be afraid of going to more unknown places. Its part of the experience and there might be better chances of work. You dont often hear people talking about Banff, but its a cool place and lots going on in the winter. If you want to try and earn good money, they Alberta is the place to be. Personally you cant beat Vancouver as a city, but Edmonton aint a bad place. Not as much public transport, so think about having a car, as its more spread out. I was not a big fan of Toronto, but each to their own.

With regards to getting permanent residence, You will most likely apply as a skilled worker. The points to pass are quite low, and you have a good chance. One thing I tell Irish people when I meet then in Vancouver, is that if you are serious about moving to Canada and staying there and you are a bit unsure of having enough points, wait until your year is finished in Canada. As soon as the year ends, and before you leave the country mail in the paperwork. Reason being, you get an extra 10 points if you have lived and worked in Canada for a year. Plus if you apply while in the country the process goes quicker.

With regards to getting an immigration lawyer, I personally believe its a waste of money, but everybody has different situations. The website for immigrating is so easy to use and the instructions they give you for your paperwork is dead on. It just means you have to make the effort to get your paperwork together and get as much of it as you can. The more letters from previous jobs, references, etc. If you studied French for your Leaving Cert, then put it down, giving yourself the lowest score for reading and writing, etc. Attach a copy of your Leaving Cert results. The more you give them, then the less likely they are to return it to you. Just remember, DON'T LEAVE BLANK SPACES!!!! Always put N/A or Not Applicable if you have nothing to write in a box.

I've never heard of getting residence through a girlfriend. My friends have had to marry their partners in order for them to get to work and stay in Canada. Paperwork taking about 6 months or so. It is true, that common law kicks in fast in Canada. Last I was told if you live with your girlfriend/boyfriend for more than 6 months they can be considered common law. However, this is done mostly for tax purposes, and I think its regarded differently if you are foreign. Just remember if you do end up in common law situations, half is now legally his or hers. I've had friends who have had to setup almost sort of prenup papers so the girlfriend/boyfriend couldnt take half their ****.

I've known a few people who applied for residency through the UK, and it was taking about 4 years. If you are fluent in French, you can apply for residency in Quebec, which takes about 7 months. However you are only allowed work in Quebec, as you then have to apply for National residency which will take about another 9 months once you are in Quebec.

Anyways, thats all I have for now. Tried not to make it long winded, and thought I would try to offer what I know. Good luck, and if you have any questions for me, I will do my best to answer them correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 paulmcn01

Regarding the police check you have to do when applying for the visa: I lived in Australia for a year, doing the working holiday visa in 2003. So according to the rules I have to get a police report from Oz. Anybody know if I can just get a new passport & say I never went to OZ?! How would they know that I ever went to oz? Think it'll be easier & cheaper to get a new passport rather than the hassle of getting police report from oz. Anybody have any ideas?
    thanks,

Paul :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

paulmcn01 wrote: »
    Regarding the police check you have to do when applying for the visa: I lived in Australia for a year, doing the working holiday visa in 2003. So according to the rules I have to get a police report from Oz. Anybody know if I can just get a new passport & say I never went to OZ?! How would they know that I ever went to oz? Think it'll be easier & cheaper to get a new passport rather than the hassle of getting police report from oz. Anybody have any ideas?
    thanks,

Do you think that getting a new passport wipes out any record of you being in Oz? Why would you think that?!

The authorities only need to look at a computer database to know every single country you've ever been to. Just apply for the cert asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Was recently left go from my job in Ireland, being working in an accounting practice for over 4 years and am now qualified. What is the job situation like for qualified accountants over in Canada?

Would really appreciate any replies as there is nothing happening here in Ireland so need to get going asap.

Thanks

Jockey

paulmcn01 wrote: »
    thanks,

Your application will also be looked at by Canadian Security Intelligence Service to see if you're a threat to Canada, they will know if you've lived in Australia and for how long, just get the police check because they will see that you have lied on your application and deny you a visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 paulmcn01

Hey lads, thanks for the responses.
    didn't realise they got the mountie FBI involved! Thought they would just be taking a look at the stamps & visas in the current passport to see what you've been up to. Got a reponse from the OZ authorities anyway. Here's the info if anyone else ever needs it:

Thank you for your enquiry.

I have attached the application form for you to download and complete. When you have completed the application form, it needs to be posted to Australian Federal Police, Criminal Records, Locked Bag 8550, CANBERRA CITY ACT 2601 together with a cheque or money order for:
    - $43.00 for each NPC (Government & Individual)
    - $49.00 for each NPC (Non Government & Commercial Agencies)
    - $105.00 for a fingerprint and NPC (fingerprints supplied to the AFP with application)
    - $145.00 for a fingerprint and NPC (fingerprints are to be taken/processed by the AFP)

Payment needs to be a cheque or money order or International Bank Draft in Australian dollars and affiliated with an Australian bank. Your bank should be able to advise you on where you can obtain this from. Our office cannot accept payment by credit card or bank transfer.

Please ensure a copy of photo identification is included with the application.

If you require a full name and fingerprint check you will need to obtain fingerprints from your local police station and attach them to our application form and send them to us with your photo ID and cheque/money order

The current processing time for a routine National Police Check is approximately 15 working days from the date received by Criminal Records. Please be aware that processing times for national police checks may vary as the AFP is reliant on other police jurisdictions for some information.

We also recommend that you allow sufficient time for processing and return by postal services before making enquiries regarding your application.

If you have any questions please call our Help Desk on (02) 6202 3333 between 0900 - 1700, Monday to Friday (excluding Public Holidays)

Kind Regards,

RACHEL MERZ
    CRIMINAL RECORDS
    CANBERRA OFFICE
    AUSTRALIAN FEDERAL POLICE

Tel +61(0) 2 62023333 Fax +61(0) 2 62023377
    www.afp.gov.au

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Gwhizz112

I'm heading to Canada in a few week, do any one know or have any pointer on making out a resume

Or good websites to find Jobs etc

Gwhizz112 wrote: »
    I'm heading to Canada in a few week, do any one know or have any pointer on making out a resume

Or good websites to find Jobs etc

http://resume.monster.ca/

you can also check out Craigslist for jobs, or this place:
    http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/intro_eng.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jagerluvinliamo

Hey,
    I am enroled on this year programme, forms are in and all that craic.

I'll be heading over later this year or just after the New Year with the plan of arseing about taking it easy for the first 3 months and get a feel for the lie of the land there. Now this got me thinking.
    Can i enter Canada on a Holiday Visa even though the Working Holiday Visa would be issued to me.
    The idea being that i enter on a Holiday Visa say around September (obviously with no intention of working) come home for Xmas and then head back after the New Year and kick off the Working Holiday Visa proper. I know the lads at the border would be very suspicious of me and I would have to answer a lot of questions to them but is it possible .

Hey,
    I am enroled on this year programme, forms are in and all that craic.

I'll be heading over later this year or just after the New Year with the plan of arseing about taking it easy for the first 3 months and get a feel for the lie of the land there. Now this got me thinking.
    Can i enter Canada on a Holiday Visa even though the Working Holiday Visa would be issued to me.
    The idea being that i enter on a Holiday Visa say around September (obviously with no intention of working) come home for Xmas and then head back after the New Year and kick off the Working Holiday Visa proper. I know the lads at the border would be very suspicious of me and I would have to answer a lot of questions to them but is it possible .

Are you Irish and carry an Irish passport, if so then you don't need a holiday visa, you can visit Canada and stay for up to 90 days, they may want to see that you have enough funds and a return ticket before they allow you stay for that long though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jagerluvinliamo

colin29 wrote: »
    Are you Irish and carry an Irish passport, if so then you don't need a holiday visa, you can visit Canada and stay for up to 90 days, they may want to see that you have enough funds and a return ticket before they allow you stay for that long though.

Yep have an Irish passport, I wouldn't be on the U35 programme otherwise. Ya that 90 day period is what i meant by the Holiday Visa, basically the stamp you get when entering. Has anyone here done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Yeah you can do it, as long as you have your passport for the entire time and of course that you're back in Ireland in time to get your year working visa!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jackoman

If you have all your forms in and got your visa paperwork done, it has no effect on you going over now as a visitor. However, when you go to visit Canada, they will see your application for the working permit, and may pull you around the side for a chat.

There's nothing wrong with visiting the place before going to work there. They might say that they see you have a work permit visa in the system, just tell them you are not here as of yet to activate that work permit (you need more paperwork to activate it anyway).

I strongly recommend to a lot of people, if they can afford it, to go over ahead of time as a visitor to scope out the place and get an idea of what they might want to do and where to be, as well as possibly do some courses to get the local equivalent of your trade or profession before coming in on the work permit so you get the most out of the year on the visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Collinho

I moved to Vancouver in the summer of 08 and it was hands down the best decision I ever made, plenty of work to go around, must've worked about 10 different jobs at one time or another. USIT was the crowd I went through for it and I'd imagine that around now is when you'd apply for a year visa through them.

The life in Vancouver in particular should be a draw to get away from here, if your an outdoor sort of person then the mountains, countless rinks and other facilities are on your doorstep and if you're not that way inclined theres plenty of other things to do to keep you occupied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 NJ85

Looking at the usit site they state

According to www.goingtocanada.gc.ca about 20% of jobs in Canada require you to have a license
    before you can begin work. If you are considering working in a trade or profession that usually
    requires certification – anything from carpenters to accountants – we would advise that you
    research the professional requirements to work in these areas before you travel

Has anyone looked into this? I am a quantity surveyor and hope to find work in this sector at some stage? I looked into this and every provence requires certification, although i'm not sure if I require it being on a working visa.
    Does anyone have any insight?

NJ85 wrote: »
    Looking at the usit site they state

According to www.goingtocanada.gc.ca about 20% of jobs in Canada require you to have a license
    before you can begin work. If you are considering working in a trade or profession that usually
    requires certification – anything from carpenters to accountants – we would advise that you
    research the professional requirements to work in these areas before you travel

Has anyone looked into this? I am a quantity surveyor and hope to find work in this sector at some stage? I looked into this and every provence requires certification, although i'm not sure if I require it being on a working visa.
    Does anyone have any insight?

You could get away with being a trades person without Canadian certification becasue you are only here for the year but other positions such as yours and accounting etc may require you to get Canadian certification.
    Even when training for a trades position here, if it's a RED SEAL qualification it is recognised throughout Canada, if it's not RED SEAL then it's only recognised in the provence or territory from which you got it.

Has anyone looked at this smart Serve Ontario? Is this certificate necessary to work in a bar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yup, it's a legal requirement.

But if you are employed by a bar, you don't need to have it for the first 2 weeks (iirc), so you can do the exam online. It helps to have it already though, as the bar don't want the hassle of seeing if you pass or not, and will be more likely to hire if it's done already...

Costs about 20 bucks online...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I'm heading to Vancouver in August. I have all my work visa paperwork in hand already so its set in stone at this stage.

At the moment, this is very likely to change, I plan on staying in Vancouver for maybe a month and then hopefully getting seasonal work in Whistler.

Anyone worked there before or have any advice?
    Cheers

wrote:
    Work in Toronto

Me and a friend are heading to Toronto next week and we are concerned on the jobs situation in Toronto, from what I have heard the economy in Canada is starting to slow down there, im a quantity surveyor so i am wondering what the construction market is like, even labouring on a building site as that will do fine, im not picky with what kind of work i get just as long as i get something, i know i wont walk straight into a job im hoping to get something within 6 wks when i land,

any advice you could offer could be really appreciate

Thanks
    Fin

Hey Finkel, just seen a post you left last year regarding jobs in toronto. I'm a QS myself and plan to head over next month. Just wondering if you had any luck with jobs over there or how hard they are to come by? Also do you know what the story is regarding certification for QS in Toronto? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

colin29 wrote: »
    http://resume.monster.ca/

you can also check out Craigslist for jobs, or this place:
    http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/intro_eng.aspx

Kijiji is another one to check out for jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Collinho

dceire wrote: »
    I'm heading to Vancouver in August. I have all my work visa paperwork in hand already so its set in stone at this stage.

At the moment, this is very likely to change, I plan on staying in Vancouver for maybe a month and then hopefully getting seasonal work in Whistler.

Anyone worked there before or have any advice?
    Cheers

I didn't work there myself when I went to Vancouver but if I were you I'd stay in Van for August and September and maybe even October before trying to get the seasonal work in Whistler. Getting it is apparently dead handy with a number of people I knew there getting work with ease, they pay well but life isn't cheap up there either though!

Advertisement