Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predictions...history!!

Options
  • 30-04-2009 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

does anyone have any idea of what might come up in the LC for history this year??

I hope this comes up:

Rise of fascism
    or
    church state relations

consolidation of the Catholic Church
    Fianna Fail & Cuman na nGaedheal economic policies
    Rise of SF 1917
    Opposition to Home Rule 1886-1914(i think :confused:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

4 of these were heavily predicted last year, and didnt come up. hmmm. unfortunatley, that would make me think they will likely come up this year. But be careful, 6 people in my class who would have had definite A1's lost by cutting out too much. I just got lucky...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

Fuascailt wrote: »
    6 people in my class who would have had definite A1's
    Jesus, what ****ing school do you go to!?

I'm hoping one of these come up in some shape or form:
    Nuremburg Rallies
    Hitler's Foreign Policy
    Stalin Showtrials
    Hitler's Policy of Anti-Semitism

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Martin Luther King should come up with Obama and all that. I don't think Nuremburg will come up cause Gobbels and Riefenstahl came up last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭daithiolabhrai

i think you're definitely right with church-state relations, and also the economic policies of CnaG and Fianna Fail in the inter-war period

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

where are people getting these predictions from?

their absence from previous papers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Yeah, Church state relations have never came up, unless you count sample papers in higher level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Black kettle

I've decided to study 6 main topics thoroughly from each book and look over the other topics. I'm praying this will work for me.

My predictions are:
    Movements for political and social reform:
    Home Rule-the Irish question, the consolidation of catholic identity, unionism and the ulster question, Redmond and home rule, The suffrage Movement and Cultural Revival

The Pursuit of sovereignity and the Impact of Partition: the 1916 rising, the war of independance, the irish civil war, state building and the consolidation of democracy: de Valera and Fianna Fail in power and The first inter-party government and the declaration of a republic.

Nation states and international tensions: The second reich internal affairs, the second reich and foreign policy, new imerialism and colonial rivalries, industrialisation and economic crisis in Tsarist Russia, Anti-semitism, and the russian revolution (though I think I might have to add a few topics onto this list as anti-semitism came up last year)

Montegomery bus boycott and the space race. But my class was just saying the other day how not to rely on the montegomery bus boycott coming up as they tend to do the opposite of what people expect and my teacher told us that a few years ago something was in the news that was on the history course and it didn't come up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Power-surge

Has anyone looked at the Sinn Fein rise to power sample essay in the ed co exam papers? is it worth learning?

btw, is there anyone who will be learning history essays off by heart for the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Has anyone looked at the Sinn Fein rise to power sample essay in the ed co exam papers? is it worth learning?

btw, is there anyone who will be learning history essays off by heart for the exam?

Like word for word? There are only so many ways a question can be asked. I'd have a general idea for an argument for each topic. You're going to be learning off the same information no matter what type of question comes up the only difference is how you present it.

I'm assumiing you mean word for word. That essay is a good essay, and it's definitely worth a read. But I would never learn an essay off for History. They always ask questions in weird ways and unless you stick to the question you're going to lose a lot of marks. Also you'd have to learn off a lot of essays and you'd probably just end up getting confused!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hannahbanana91

I predict;

Sovereignty and Partition:
    1918 Election
    FF and CnG economic policies

Dictatorship and Democracy:
    Stalin's Show Trials
    Hitlers Foreign Policy

I also study the North....no clue...any suggestions?:D
    Also i hope the bus boycott comes up..i can't get my head around the space race! Surely they wouldn't be cruel enough to put Vietnam up again? I think I'd cry if I saw that in June...aaa...:D
    Is it best to write essay plans for the lc?..or keep writing loads of essays, just they take so long...time I don't have at this stage!:( It's just such a pain, History is so different to the other lc exams...:(
    Any help would be greatly apprechiated...:D

I predict;

Sovereignty and Partition:
    1918 Election
    FF and CnG economic policies

Dictatorship and Democracy:
    Stalin's Show Trials
    Hitlers Foreign Policy

I also study the North....no clue...any suggestions?:D
    Also i hope the bus boycott comes up..i can't get my head around the space race! Surely they wouldn't be cruel enough to put Vietnam up again? I think I'd cry if I saw that in June...aaa...:D
    Is it best to write essay plans for the lc?..or keep writing loads of essays, just they take so long...time I don't have at this stage!:( It's just such a pain, History is so different to the other lc exams...:(
    Any help would be greatly apprechiated...:D

i set up a thread about how to write lc essays for history, have a look for it there on the leaving cert page!! its quite helpful :)

I'm also studying Northern Ireland, and as much as I love the topic, predicting is a bit of an annoyance!! this is what I'm studying:
    the 3 case studies (one is likely to come up, probably the Apprentice Boys IMO)
    The economy during the Troubles
    Impact of the Troubles on education, health and housing
    The emergence of the Provisional IRA
    Cultural responses to the troubles
    The Republic's responses to the Troubles
    (something is bound to come up on the Troubles!)

finally, i'd say study the Vietnam War (you never know!) better be safe than sorry!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hannahbanana91

Aw thats so helpful of you! thanks for the tips on the North...think i heard that the app. boys are likely also...:) can't find your essay writing thing though...can you post a link?:)

Aw thats so helpful of you! thanks for the tips on the North...think i heard that the app. boys are likely also...:) can't find your essay writing thing though...can you post a link?:)

yup the link is: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055554851

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Power-surge

I wouldnt fear learning an essay off by heart. When in the exam I'd just blend it in with the Question if you know what I mean. Im going to learn that SF 1918 essay from the exam papers (put into my own words of course!).

Advertisement