Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPINION POLL - Who would you vote for?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Pure opinion. Most of the "misspending" was intended to combat disadvantage. Increased social welfare benefits were never intended to buy 42" LCDs or nearly new BMWs, but, while the standard of living must now fall, there is absolutely no getting away from the fact it has risen astronomically over the last decade.

The ‘mistakes’ I was referring to were in relation to the developers and the banks, and of course those living beyond their means. Fianna Fail were well aware of the property bubble and yet did nothing to curtail it before it got out of hand.
    Jobs are still being created in our economy, people make mistakes and the subsequent changes in B2E make that apparent. No political party makes every decision correctly.

Sadly, for many, it is too little, too late. Their education was ruined by this fiasco. They can’t be expected to hang around until Mary Cock-up changes her mind, or until someone cleans up the mess for her. Peoples’ circumstances change and many are no longer eligible for the BTEA. She should have left well enough alone, and let people finish their post-graduate studies, as they were led to believe they could from the outset.
    Government IS for the people, not for the media, I think you've confused the two.

No, I haven’t. You didn’t say ‘the media’. You said ‘the outside world’. The media are but a small part of that.

Thank you for your suggestions re politicians. Their policies appear to be sound. It is hard to tell. Ruairí Quinn seems by far the most impressive, but I still cannot make up my mind. I don’t agree about Richard Bruton though. I think he should be Minister of Finance, but I will be watching him more carefully from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The Raven. wrote: »
    Thank you for your suggestions re politicians. Their policies appear to be sound. It is hard to tell. Ruairí Quinn seems by far the most impressive, but I still cannot make up my mind. I don’t agree about Richard Bruton though. I think he should be Minister of Finance, but I will be watching him more carefully from now on.

There will always be a Labour Minister for Finance in a FG Labour Coalition, that's why I discount Bruton unless he is to become Taoiseach. Simon Coveney wouldn't be the worst either. He at least has the common courtesy part down that wouldn't have me embarassed to see him represent us abroad.

** The statement as regards FG/Lab and Min for Finance is more based around Labour's price for forming a government rather than anything to do with ability. Quinn has held the portfolio, and while free fees was a cock up to the same extent as McCreevy's automatic medical card entitlment, he was generally competent.

Personally I voted for a FF/Lab coalition in 2007, and when we asked people on the doorsteps who were going to vote FF what partner they'd like to see, Labour was the answer in the majority of cases. I canvassed a whole ONE person in the 2 months before the election that was voting PD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

There will always be a Labour Minister for Finance in a FG Labour Coalition, that's why I discount Bruton unless he is to become Taoiseach. Simon Coveney wouldn't be the worst either. He at least has the common courtesy part down that wouldn't have me embarassed to see him represent us abroad.

** The statement as regards FG/Lab and Min for Finance is more based around Labour's price for forming a government rather than anything to do with ability. Quinn has held the portfolio, and while free fees was a cock up to the same extent as McCreevy's automatic medical card entitlment, he was generally competent.

If it was a choice between Richard Bruton or Ruairi Quinn for Minister for Finance, who do you think would do a better job? I can't see Enda Kenny stepping down as FG Leader, so what post is Richard Bruton likely to get, if there has to be a Labour Minister for Finance?

Simon Coveneny appeared somewhat gullible as regards the Izevbekhai case, but then again Fine Gael did support her at the start, among others.
    Personally I voted for a FF/Lab coalition in 2007, and when we asked people on the doorsteps who were going to vote FF what partner they'd like to see, Labour was the answer in the majority of cases. I canvassed a whole ONE person in the 2 months before the election that was voting PD.

I have never been impressed with the PDs, but we could do with Michael McDowell to sort out the gangland situation. They say you can catch more bees with honey, but I think it needs more than that at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

dave-higgz wrote: »
    I'm 16 :(

WHERE'S MY VOICE!!!!!!

You can have a voice by talking with other people (voters) about who they are voting for and why and trying to pick parties and candidates with your best interests at heart!

So what if you can't go into the ballot box for a year or two, you can still get involved!

edanto wrote: »
    You can have a voice by talking with other people (voters) about who they are voting for and why and trying to pick parties and candidates with your best interests at heart!

So what if you can't go into the ballot box for a year or two, you can still get involved!
    True, you could definitely take to the doorsteps with a local candidate too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't buy this especially as it's completely untrue. In fact the only time this was true was in the Rainbow coalition of 94-97 with Ruari Quinn. Richie Ryan was in charge in 1973. John Bruton was Minister for Finance in the 1981 coalition although the kids' shoe tax put paid to that. Dukes was in charge in 1982.

Even if Labour get to the 33 seats of the Spring Tide, FG are more than likely to get well in excess of 60 seats. Gilmore of course will be Tanaiste which puts Bruton in Finance. Labour will probably get Education, Social Affairs and maybe Enterprise or Environment if they are lucky. They might even be in with a shout for Transport. But their big problem as I've mentioned on a number of occasions is that they currently do not have enough high calibre candidates for Cabinet. On that front, FG have both the numbers and the people for the jobs.

That said I'd expect Labour to get a reasonable number of Junior ministries, although I doubt if they'll get more than 4/5 out of the 12. FG will drop junior ministries to 12 or maybe even less, before they sort out cabinet places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Fianna Fail if the options include John McGuinness....

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭zielarz

Is there a real right wing party in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

Whats "Hard Left"? Do they come around with their comrades to beat you up with hammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

bigstar wrote: »
    Whats "Hard Left"? Do they come around with their comrades to beat you up with hammers.

Nah, harsh language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

The Raven. wrote: »
    If it was a choice between Richard Bruton or Ruairi Quinn for Minister for Finance, who do you think would do a better job? I can't see Enda Kenny stepping down as FG Leader, so what post is Richard Bruton likely to get, if there has to be a Labour Minister for Finance?

Simon Coveneny appeared somewhat gullible as regards the Izevbekhai case, but then again Fine Gael did support her at the start, among others.

I have never been impressed with the PDs, but we could do with Michael McDowell to sort out the gangland situation. They say you can catch more bees with honey, but I think it needs more than that at this stage.

Coveneny is just another TD who got where he is on his Fathers coat-tails. I have never been impressed by him.
    When he appeared on Q&A before the last General Election he looked like a light weight next to Rabbite and Cowen.
    Plus he bearly held his seat last time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's not so much the "lack of brain cells" as you put it as someone seriously out of her depth in her portfolio. She did well in Agriculture.

How the hell can you say that Coughlan did well in Agriculture when she closed the two sugar beet factories in Ireland (Carlow and Mallow). She was almost a bigger disaster in Agriculture than she is as Tanaiste.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

No Party represents my views properly. I think I'd give Sinn Fein first vote because I'm curious to see would someone go into coalition with them if they held the balance. Hopefully a left-right coalition might work, nothing else has. Then it's Fine Gael and Labour. Then indos then libertas in hope of stopping FF and the greens.
    If I get my wish the greens will go the way of the PDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭thethedev

I wouldnt vote for Sinn Feinn personally.
    Their political strategy on the ground disgusts me. They're doing well in this poll though....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

teednab-el wrote: »
    How the hell can you say that Coughlan did well in Agriculture when she closed the two sugar beet factories in Ireland (Carlow and Mallow). She was almost a bigger disaster in Agriculture than she is as Tanaiste.

The closures were to do with CAP reform and also as means for the EU to meet its WTO commitments.
    CAP Reform: EU agriculture ministers adopt groundbreaking sugar reform

European Union agriculture ministers today formally adopted a radical reform of the EU sugar sector. The reform, which will come into force on 1 July, will bring a system which has remained largely unchanged for almost 40 years into line with the rest of the reformed Common Agricultural Policy. It will ensure a long-term sustainable future for sugar production in the EU, enhance the competitiveness and market-orientation of the sector and strengthen the EU’s position in the current round of world trade talks. The key to the reform is a 36 percent cut in the guaranteed minimum sugar price, generous compensation for farmers and, crucially, a Restructuring Fund as a carrot to encourage uncompetitive sugar producers to leave the industry.

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/06/194&format=HTML&aged=1&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

is_that_so wrote: »
    The closures were to do with CAP reform and also as means for the EU to meet its WTO commitments.

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/06/194&format=HTML&aged=1&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

She should have done better though, Agriculture has been a prime contributor to our economy traditionally. Two sugar factories in Ireland werent going to break the EU. Sometimes I wonder if we were better off not being part of the EU. But again there would be disadvantages with that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Joxer71

I have struggled with this but voted FF simply because I look at the government benches and I see Cowen, Lenihan(s), Martin, Harney, Dempsey, Cullen and Hanafin, all reasonably accomplished politicians. Then I look at the opposition and I see Richard Bruton and.......that's basically it!

Whatever difficulties we are in now can you imagine FG in power with Kenny representing the country? His namesake Pat has more charisma and god knows who the ministers would be.

Bad as they are I just don't see an alternative to FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

Joxer71 wrote: »
    I see Cowen, Lenihan(s), Martin, Harney, Dempsey, Cullen and Hanafin, all reasonably accomplished politicians.

Cowen: FAILED as Minister for Finance throwing us into a recession none of us could imagine due to his mismanagement of the public finances and the property sector.

Lenihan: He's a barrister. He got in on his father's seat and compared to Richard Bruton who is an economist is inferior.

Martin: Alright I guess.

Harney: One of the worst Minister for Health's ever. He continuation of a two tier system causes grief for already suffering patiets every day. Universal Health care is the proven model yet she refuses to listen.

Dempsey and Cullen: have bothe proven themselves to be inept particularly in relation to the e-voting disaster. In a private company they'd have been fired years ago, I don't know why we still put up with them.

Hanifan: Again, alright. Better than O'Keefe in Education anyway.

I have struggled with this but voted FF simply because I look at the government benches and I see Cowen, Lenihan(s), Martin, Harney, Dempsey, Cullen and Hanafin, all reasonably accomplished politicians. Then I look at the opposition and I see Richard Bruton and.......that's basically it!

Whatever difficulties we are in now can you imagine FG in power with Kenny representing the country? His namesake Pat has more charisma and god knows who the ministers would be.

Bad as they are I just don't see an alternative to FF.

Are you for real? politicians such as Bruton, Lee, Vradkar and Reilly are all accomplished politicans. I love how you have named Cowen, Lenihan Dempsey Cullen and Harney who have been all nothing but a disaster.

Cowen: FAILED as Minister for Finance throwing us into a recession none of us could imagine due to his mismanagement of the public finances and the property sector.

I think that you will find that this is a worldwide recession. FG predicted 3.1% growth in the economy before the last election, Labour and FF predicted about the same. Switch Bruton's name for Cowen's the result would have been the same. I don't believe that he was a poor minister for finance but an awful taoiseach.

Lenihan: He's a barrister. He got in on his father's seat and compared to Richard Bruton who is an economist is inferior.

I think he has done well in the last 2 budgets and the introduction of pension levy was a brave and correct move. His performance on Newsnight was also excellent in the face of some paddy bashing by the Brits who thought that AIB was Anlo-Irish bank!!

I still believe that Bruton is good though. He certainly talks the talk but can he walk the walk? It's an easy job being MfF in boom times but very hard in a recession and that is how Lenihan is being judged. Prepare for lots of "it was the mess we were left with" excuses from Bruton for 2-3 years after he gets in.

Martin: Alright I guess.

Harney: One of the worst Minister for Health's ever. He continuation of a two tier system causes grief for already suffering patiets every day. Universal Health care is the proven model yet she refuses to listen.

Agree that the system needs an overhaul. It is never going to happen with the unions having such a stranglehold on the system. She negotiated a landmark deal with the consultants and this took 4 years. This is really going to improve things but probably too late for her to get recognition as she will be warming the opp benches.

Who would be MfH in a coalition though? Reilly is a head case. It would need Rabitte or some no nonsense individual. Hardest post.

Dempsey and Cullen: have bothe proven themselves to be inept particularly in relation to the e-voting disaster. In a private company they'd have been fired years ago, I don't know why we still put up with them.

Think Dempsey is good but Cullen very suspect.

Hanifan: Again, alright. Better than O'Keefe in Education anyway.

Think she was good in Education.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sk1shot

FF all the way

teednab-el wrote: »
    Are you for real? politicians such as Bruton, Lee, Vradkar and Reilly are all accomplished politicans. I love how you have named Cowen, Lenihan Dempsey Cullen and Harney who have been all nothing but a disaster.

Are YOU for real???? Lee an accomplished politician!! He has been a politician for 6 days and couldn't answer the only question asked of him..."..you could predict the recession George now what will you do about it?". Answer: "..ehhhhh!!". If that's accomplished in any career then we are doomed. With George Lee and Sean Kelly on the team for FG who next Rodge and Podge??

Varadakar is a joker. Constantly humiliated on the Vicent Brown show. He is an apprentice politician having only been elected for the first time in the last election. Again hardly accomplished. He was a Fingal county councillor before that and lives in a sizeable house in Carpenterstown.

Reilly is a head banger and is partial to bizarre comments. Even Kenny has distanced himself from his comments in the past.

Bruton is good but probably the only accomplished politician within that party. I have time for Gilmore, Rabitte and Quinn.

Are YOU for real???? Lee an accomplished politician!! He has been a politician for 6 days and couldn't answer the only question asked of him..."..you could predict the recession George now what will you do about it?". Answer: "..ehhhhh!!". If that's accomplished in any career then we are doomed. With George Lee and Sean Kelly on the team for FG who next Rodge and Podge??

Varadakar is a joker. Constantly humiliated on the Vicent Brown show. He is an apprentice politician having only been elected for the first time in the last election. Again hardly accomplished. He was a Fingal county councillor before that and lives in a sizeable house in Carpenterstown.

Reilly is a head banger and is partial to bizarre comments. Even Kenny has distanced himself from his comments in the past.

Bruton is good but probably the only accomplished politician within that party. I have time for Gilmore, Rabitte and Quinn.

Lee is more qualfied than Lenihan or any other FF muppet to do the job.. Dont mind Vincent Brown shur he pretty much supports FF. Reilly is more than a reality than what Mary HArney ever was in Health. Varadkar is much more aware of what needs to be put in place to bring jobs back to the country unlike Mary "thicko" Coughlan who does nothing but spend taxpayers money on making herself look good and doll'd up. And then we have Brian Clowen who couldnt lead this country out of a paper bag.

Basically with this FF government in power we are simply F**ked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

FG/Labour.

But really, anyone but FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

I think that you will find that this is a worldwide recession. FG predicted 3.1% growth in the economy before the last election, Labour and FF predicted about the same. Switch Bruton's name for Cowen's the result would have been the same. I don't believe that he was a poor minister for finance but an awful taoiseach.

I think he has done well in the last 2 budgets and the introduction of pension levy was a brave and correct move. His performance on Newsnight was also excellent in the face of some paddy bashing by the Brits who thought that AIB was Anlo-Irish bank!!

I hope you'll find that it's NOT ALL a worldwide recession, however that is a contributing factor. More than 50% of our problems are homegrown from Brian Cowen's inflation of the property boom and over reliance on the construction industry and that has even been partly admitted by Brian Lenihan, who I believe is not brave. I don't think there is a "tough" decision for politicians. There's a choice of policy, but the execution of decisions for a minister is a simple as pushing a button. I agree that the pension levy etc. is necessary however he needs to work on fairness in the tax system more and I don't have confidence in NAMA. Yes, I know FG would have probably made a balls of things but I don't believe it would have been any worse than what we have now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I think that you will find that this is a worldwide recession.

I think you will find Ireland is one of the worst countries effected. Why do you think that is?

turgon wrote: »
    I think that you will find that this is a worldwide recession.

I think you will find Ireland is one of the worst countries effected. Why do you think that is?

I think You'll find that it's partially because of construction reliance, but mainly because we're the 2nd most open economy on the face of the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Dazd_N_Confusd

Just curious, would anyone here vote for a libertarian leaning party if one such existed. I'm talking about a party who's social policies would include the legalisation and taxation of drugs and prostitution. And full and equal rights for the LGBT community. Also, I feel people should have the right to protect themselves as you cannot always count on the police to do it for you, so I support the ownership of guns.

And a party who's fiscal policies included reducing social welfare and a reduction (possible elimination?) of minimum wage. A nation cannot survive and prosper when a person can make more money on the dole than in employment (heard it on the news last week, probably Joe Duffy).

I'm not a total fiscal conservative but I'm a socially liberal as they come.

Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Brian.

And a party who's fiscal policies included reducing social welfare and a reduction (possible elimination?) of minimum wage. A nation cannot survive and prosper when a person can make more money on the dole than in employment (heard it on the news last week, probably Joe Duffy).

Any thoughts?

if minimun wage is eliminated then someone on the dole could still earn more money than someone working.

they have some good ideas, i wouldnt mind having the right to defend myself. but dont they encourage the right to sue? like your burglars family could sue you for hurting or killing him, ending his right to "earn" or something stupid like that. canada has a liberal party in gov and i heard stuff like that happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Just curious, would anyone here vote for a libertarian leaning party if one such existed. I'm talking about a party who's social policies would include the legalisation and taxation of drugs and prostitution. And full and equal rights for the LGBT community. Also, I feel people should have the right to protect themselves as you cannot always count on the police to do it for you, so I support the ownership of guns.

Any thoughts?

the PD's?

They voted themselves out exsistance but there fews where in line with yours

Advertisement