Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should prostitution be legal?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

So you are saying you agree or disagree with me assertion that the black market will go down if prostitution is legalized?

Its a simple question, yes or no. You keenly dodged it in your post up above.

And by the way I dont want everyone to think and act the way I do. I wouldnt hire a prostitute. However the very fact that I believe in legalization means I am up for people doing things I wouldnt. Shock horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Joey_the_lips, it is a bit strange that you demand facts when all you have offered is your own opinions and links to other opinion pieces.

I take a simple position: anything should be allowed unless there is a good reason to prohibit it. So I am a possible persuadee. Give me a good case for making prostitution illegal, and I might support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

I am not wasteing my time argueing with you. I have told you I would apologise if you find facts. All you have done is contradict and speculate. It is you and others like you on this thread who is to wanting everyone to think and act the way they want them too.

Back off and get me facts because all I am going to do is accept that this thread is full of yes people incapable of backing up an arguement and no people who are "Moralistic" or "Feminist" for stating there point.

Its stinks of facism to me.

No doubt another is going to comment without facts " Come in make yourself at home add to the foolish yes attitude already here!"

Ladies, This is what the yes men here think of you......

In fairness JTL, you shouldn't base your arguments on doubtful premises ("exploitation of women", "large black market in legalised system", "trafficking").

There are not necessarily any accurate or absolute stats on those claims. They are very much up for debate.

But if you take the moral point of view, then your argument is pretty well self-contained.

(Indeed this is exactly what libertarians and prostitute groups apply in reverse. The starting point of their argument is that "there's nothing inherently wrong with prostitution".)

You can oppose prostitution (and favour its criminalisation) on more general, principled grounds. It's just as valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

turgon wrote: »
    So you are saying you agree or disagree with me assertion that the black market will go down if prostitution is legalized?

Its a simple question, yes or no. You keenly dodged it in your post up above.

This will be my last comment to you.

Black market will increase if prostitution is legalised. from my view please read the economist view of the coffee shop. The dutch realise this and the new zealanders realise this.

• Advertisement

Joey_the_lips, it is a bit strange that you demand facts when all you have offered is your own opinions and links to other opinion pieces.

I take a simple position: anything should be allowed unless there is a good reason to prohibit it. So I am a possible persuadee. Give me a good case for making prostitution illegal, and I might support it.

No what is strange is I have backed up all I said with facts and examples where as you have not! You are clearly incapable of following the thread so I will give you nothing!

again I refer you to the dutch goverments stance at amsterdam.info

Black market will increase if prostitution is legalised.

Keep on believing believing buddy. As I said, your conscious effort to ignore reason only gives you strength of conviction. I highly disagree with your attitude towards debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

No what is strange is I have backed up all I said with facts and examples where as you have not! You are clearly incapable of following the thread so I will give you nothing!

I did not find the facts that you claim to have given us. The bit of the thread that I feel incapable of following is your set of contributions to it.
    again I refer you to the dutch goverments stance at amsterdam.info

Again? when did you do it before? I looked at the url, and found nothing there on the Dutch government's stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭SeanW

Sean W seems to be able to compare workers in macdonalds and prostitutes which read it was a daft example unless we are shoving chicken nuggets up the wazoo of a macdonalds worker. Youself missed my point ...
    No, you took my original statement TOTALLY out of context. I only made the comparison to show up the logical insolvency of an argument I was responding to which stated that prostitution: "does nothing for one's self esteem."

I don't think that's a reason to ban something and that's why I mentioned the garbage truck and McDonalds. Of course there are no real similarties between them.

,8,1 wrote: »
    In fairness JTL, you shouldn't base your arguments on doubtful premises ("exploitation of women", "large black market in legalised system", "trafficking").

There are not necessarily any accurate or absolute stats on those claims. They are very much up for debate.

But if you take the moral point of view, then your argument is pretty well self-contained.

(Indeed this is exactly what libertarians and prostitute groups apply in reverse. The starting point of their argument is that "there's nothing inherently wrong with prostitution".)

You can oppose prostitution (and favour its criminalisation) on more general, principled grounds. It's just as valid.

I dont understand this sorry but it sounds like your trying to explain how my point of view works. If so thanks but I dont expect you to do that.

• Advertisement

Folks honestly there is no point me argueing is there? If I started the debate by questioning you it woould be you who has to give examples not me. I made a statement based on economic fact. I can quote a book but i doubt you want the bore of reading it. Its called the undercover economist. It's an easy read for the normal non economist person.

I have no problem with legalising prostitution if it can be found that an illegal market operates along side but there has been no evidence supplied to show it doesnt. ( Oh and yes the dutch govt accepts it does!)

My attitude is not ment to offend but its you who keep on coming back asking me to repeat myself. Would you get peed off if it were you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

humans are calmer when their sexual drives are quelled

unfortunately, contact spreads disease
    so abstinence during filthy times makes practical sense
    (something about pork, kosher and trichinosis)
    trading sex for money allows an additional means to sex
    a society that wants to restrict the spread of disease frowns on prostitution

if sex is based on income,
    a rich man might have many wives
    while the poor man would broil in sexual frustration.
    The idea that sex should NOT be for money
    bares merit that sexual drives are better satisfied than put to the coin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Luisella

Of course, the Netherlands are way more civil.

Advertisement