Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ifor williams 510

Options
  • 30-04-2009 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi guys im looking to buy a 510 for my 16.1 -16.2ish mare.The market is flooded with 505's which makes me think the 510 must be a keeper as far as box's go. Any other box worth looking at and where,been on donedeal and autotrader but no luck, the few around are big money im thinking my 2grand wont get me much:eek::eek:.Any idea's or help please feel free. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

You definitely won't find a 510 for anywhere near €2,000!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

why not buy the 505? granted they are somewhat marginally smaller than the 510, but my 505, bought brand new 2.5 years, serves me perfect - i can carry my 16.1hh and 16.2hh no problem, plenty of room in it for them and they travel comfortably. I don't think i'd swap it for the 510 - unless my horses were perhaps 17hh or more. financially there is the extra cost involved and from a recent experience, whereby i helped a friend transport 2 horses, using his 510, towed by my jeep (LWB pajero sport) the extra size and weight of the 510, well i could feel the extra pull it had on the jeep, not a lot, but the diesel tank also felt it. Plus, and only from my experience, as i'm used to pulling the 505, you will notice the difference the 510 adds in height and width behind you when on the road. we were thinking of changing our box recently, buying a new one in the north (like we did we the current one), my OH was interested in a 510, but now i don't think i'd go for it..unless i end up with a 17hh+ horse, which is unlikely as i wasnt blessed with long legs, i struggle to get up on the horses i have never mind get anything bigger!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Yeah im only going on what the old owners of my horse said,they used a 510,maybe i will try her in the 505,the lady that owns the livery yard has one.What else is on the market?? Is the ifor williams the best box out there?? I will be pulling it with my 1991 pajero 2.5 swb,which im hoping shouldnt be a problem other then heavy on juice:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The 505 should be plenty good for you. It's also easier and safer to tow as it's not as wide as the other one.

also, i'm on my 3rd 505, having previously owned 2, (both 2nd hand)..once they have a good floor (reconditioned whatever, etc), if needs be and you want to sell it again, you should have no trouble selling them, they are good sellers. i've only had ifor williams, i'm sure there are equally as good boxes out there, but for re-sale purposes, ifor williams seem to be good sellers.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys il look into the 505 an let you know how it goes. For 2grand what year would i get for that money??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Whatever about the year, try and get one with an aluminium underfloor. The earlier ones with the timber underfloors were prone to rotting due to urine, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

I bought a 510 box a while ago. it's only a year old and dad pull's it behind our 92 pajero.

there's loads of room in it which is great for the horses i think.

its up to yourself i guess. but you won't get a good 510 for 2000.

you would get a good 505 for it. year dosn't matter with box's i think as long as there in good condition, as the others said, steel floor, lights, and ramps in good order then your sorted.

p.s my horses are between 16hh and 16.2hh

Im going to try her in a 505 see how she travels,its the head room thats an issue with her,she stands very tall and not sure how she travel's. Now her last owners say she travels well but you can never be to sure till you try yourself i guess.. Another thing to seriously look at before buying. Silly me not checking that out:eek::eek: She will mostly travel on her own so just the front bar will do,she should have plenty of room in a 505.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chindato

I would imagine the scarcity of 510's on the market is due to the fact that there are fewer of them bought new. A 505 is plenty big enough for all but the biggest, widest of animals.

• Advertisement

imagine the new 511's are bigger again!

i couldnt' believe that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

What do you guys reckon to a 16.3 in a 505? I think it might be a bit of a squeeze...

going to look at a 510 on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

I have a 511 and I absolutely love it - I bought it brand new in March. I had a 505 before, and my lad travels so much better now. He's 16.1hh, and the headspace was quite tight for him in the 505.

BTW, the 506 and 511 have the same headroom, but the 511 is slightly wider and longer.

Still looking for a 510 they seem to be thin on the ground:(:( How much are the 511 boxes going for??

View?id=1358498 just found this looks over priced:mad:

have a look on donedeal a few have came up on it recently.

when buying a box privately how important is paperwork?

Wicked

Wicked wrote: »
    have a look on donedeal a few have came up on it recently.

when buying a box privately how important is paperwork?

Wicked

Not sure what paperwork you mean..but the only paperwork the seller is concerned with is cash or cheque payment! I've bought and sold boxes privately many a time, paperwork has never entered the equation.

you know the paperwork you get with some boxes.

i don't think its that important but i remember when i was looking for mine that ad's had advertised - full paperwork.

hmm, not sure, only paperwork i got with a box was the last one, which i bought new from an agent, basically it was an instruction manual with the chaissis number on it (if chaissis (spl?) is the correct term?), but other than that there was no paperwork as such.

Advertisement