Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to Blanch IT

• 30-04-2009 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi there,

Am considering going to Blanch this yr and was wondering exactly how long a bus from town would take to get there? Especially in traffic ?

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

Emay wrote: »
    how long a bus from town would take to get there? Especially in traffic ?

Approx 50 mins:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/New-timetable-Route-38a/

38a leaves you across the road in Corduff
    38b leaves you direct to the college (limited times; twice a day I think)
    38c is for the Hospital; avoid that one!

Also see Urbus: http://www.urbus.ie/

I only ever got the Bus from Laurel Lodge through to Corduff. In Traffic it was painfully slow, but that wasn't too often. The biggest furstration I had was getting off during the day (12pm or so) to find no buses for ages... The College estates manager (Declan Garvin - declan.garvin@itb.ie for queries) is in consultation with Fingal, OneSmallStep and Dublin bus to get improved access...

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭samurai kebab

Don't know why you said to avoid the 38c the hospital is its only detour and its only 1 or 2 extra stops I have always found it the quickest bus since the 38a which should be the quickest is slowed down by everyone trying to get it.... the two of these usually take 40-50 mins during traffic and 25-30 mins otherwise. The 38b usually takes bout 60/70 mins and the plain old 38 takes about 45-50 minutes with no traffic and up to an hour and a half with traffic I really hate this bus in the mornings and anytime after 5:mad:. 38/a/c all leave you within a minutes walk of the college and all drop you off on o'connell street and come regularly so all in all it's ok besides mind numbing boredom during heavy traffic.

Don't know why you said to avoid the 38c the hospital is its only detour and its only 1 or 2 extra stops I have always found it the quickest bus

I also pointed out I don't get it out from the City Centre; only Laurel Lodge --> College. TBH The whole bus service to Blanchardstown needs a vast remodelling; it doesn't serve popular places well.

Normal Route -> Blanch Village -> Aquatic Centre -> Ind. Estates -> College -> Shopping Centre -> Blanch Village -> back into the city

Make it one route and frequent by scrapping 220, 38 whatever and you have a winner. Dublin bus should hire me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,254 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It really varies. The 38B in the morning leaves town at 8am and is supposed to get students to classes for 9.

I got there at 10:15 last Thursday. Missing my presentation wasn't fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭alic

Try get the 38a/c.

Fastest buses going up as they avoid Castleknock.

Not too sure about the time from town as I get the bus at the Cabra Garda Station but from where I am if ya get the a/c it can be pretty fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

My sister's thinking of going to Blanch next year, only prob is we live in Celbridge (in Kildare).

We have the 67a which goes to town via lucan and chapelizod and the Hazelhatch train station.

Is there any feasible way she could get to Blanch?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 vinnyirl

My sister's thinking of going to Blanch next year, only prob is we live in Celbridge (in Kildare).

We have the 67a which goes to town via lucan and chapelizod and the Hazelhatch train station.

Is there any feasible way she could get to Blanch?

67 to town then 38 back to blanch would be a dam long trip. If it is possible the best way to do it would be to get a bus to Maynooth is there is one then get the train to Castleknock, then get the 38 or the UrBus up to the college but to be honest the college is a 20min walk for Castleknock station so its quicker to walk.
    What the amount of buses and trains every day it would probably be cheaper to get a car/motorbike. Parking at ITB is limited at best.

One of my class mates lives in Cellbridge, she gets the train to Heuston, Luas to Abbey (i think) and then the 38 out to Blanch. Takes a long time but shes been doing it for 3 years so i presume its the best method!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 JJB360

Hi, I do not attend this college but I do know the area in which it is, from City Center I think it will be about 40 minutes but could be more..... but you must also remember, this is college not school, so you may not have to leave your house untill 10 am, so bus ride is not that bad!

Edit: opps sorry, did not see others have replied.

vinnyirl wrote: »
    67 ...the college is a 20min walk for Castleknock station so its quicker to walk.
    It's 30 mins if you walk kinda fast, 40-45 if you take your time. It's a reasonable walk (good for fitness after a while) but in bad weather it would be misery. Also you pass under the motorway and dingey is not the word, I wouldn't have too many valuables on you! You could walk the bus route which is bout 50mins, but it means if you feel like relief from walking you can wait for a bus!

vinnyirl wrote: »
    67 What the amount of buses and trains every day it would probably be cheaper to get a car/motorbike. Parking at ITB is limited at best.
    Even a moped! It's easy to get to by car (M50/N3/backroads from Airport), only during peak 9am, 4pm, 6pm if you have any classes starting/finishing then you could be waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

How long would it take travelling from Swords to Blancardstown, either on bus or driving?

I know there's a URBus that goes there and according to them it's about 50mins

Not sure about driving though

You thinking of going to ITB?

Yeah I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure tho.

I was looking at putting down the Creative Digital Media Course, I literally just found it and know nothing about the college. I was orginally only looking at media production courses and avoiding the web aspect, but I think this may have a good mix?

Yeah I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure tho.

I was looking at putting down the Creative Digital Media Course, I literally just found it and know nothing about the college. I was orginally only looking at media production courses and avoiding the web aspect, but I think this may have a good mix?

I'm a Business student there so i don't know much about the course you're speaking of, but the way the web modules are done it is easy to keep up with them if you attend classes.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'm a Business student there so i don't know much about the course you're speaking of, but the way the web modules are done it is easy to keep up with them if you attend classes.

What is the college like?

What is the college like?

IMO the college is great, nice and big, all the facilities you'll need, well organised etc.

If you've any particular questions i'll be happy to answer

IMO the college is great, nice and big, all the facilities you'll need, well organised etc.

If you've any particular questions i'll be happy to answer

Sounds good, I'm more wondering what tyoe of hours they do. Do you know anyone who does that course?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭emmie-lou

im in the creative digital media course...ill be goin into my second year in september...its a great course if you decide to do it you will enjoy it if you like using computers, video cameras, digital cameras and stuff like that...you get alot of time to do assignments in the mac lab in the college so that helps too.

That's great thanks. What kind of hours do you do a week? it's the travelling I'm tryig to figure out, like will I be in 9am traffic each morning?

emmie-lou wrote: »
    im in the creative digital media course...ill be goin into my second year in september...its a great course if you decide to do it you will enjoy it if you like using computers, video cameras, digital cameras and stuff like that...you get alot of time to do assignments in the mac lab in the college so that helps too.

On top of having lots of time to do labs, it has to be said that in general (with exceptions of 1 or 2) the lecturers are so good and they're always out to help you and to make sure you do the best you can.

If you ever fall behind they are alway there to help and in 1st year i had a particular lecturer who made videos and put them on the student share for anyone who was behind.

This particular guy i amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭emmie-lou

well the semester just gone i was in at 9 two mornings a week and in at ten the for two and eleven the other one from what i remember... but it could be different for your group...you really wont know till you start the course and get your timetable

emmie-lou wrote: »
    well the semester just gone i was in at 9 two mornings a week and in at ten the for two and eleven the other one from what i remember... but it could be different for your group...you really wont know till you start the course and get your timetable

I was just looking up both the level 8 and level 7 degree. Is it the same course because it sounds completely different?

I was just looking up both the level 8 and level 7 degree. Is it the same course because it sounds completely different?

As far as i know, Level 7 is 3 years, Level 8 is the same course with an extra year

As far as i know, Level 7 is 3 years, Level 8 is the same course with an extra year

Really? That would be perfect, I looked it up on qualifax and couldn't figure out if it really was similar or not.

Really? That would be perfect, I looked it up on qualifax and couldn't figure out if it really was similar or not.

Well i do Level 8 and my friend was Level 7, we had the exact same course except she qualified this year and i'm going into 4th year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Typically in the Institutes of Technology, a Level 7 degree is a ordinary degree. Most courses have an additional year, which is technically a separate course, to make it a Level 8 Honours degree. Think of it as a kind of follow-on course.

There are other types of degrees that are straight, 4 years, Level 8 Honours degree, called Ab initio degrees.

Generally speaking, a Level 8 Honours degree is required for most jobs.

Advertisement