Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to adjust a backpack...

• 30-04-2009 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hey,

So we're a good 6 weeks into our travels and my ol' shell is doing me well, but I'm just not sure if I'm adjusting the straps correctly and can't find anywhere on the net that shows clear instructions on how to adjust hip straps, shoulder etc.

Anyone have any ideas? Or any links??? Illustrated instructions are always a help!!!

My bag is a Berghaus Jalan 60L +15 (link)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Im not sure about the hip straps as I never use them. But with the shoulder straps, there should be a toggle coming out of the strap, round about where your chest is when you are wearing it. To adjust quickly with the backpack on you just bend over fully(:eek:) and then pull the two toggles tight. That way the pack will sit as high up your back as possible and there won't be any 'drag' in the straps just behind your neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

So, NO gap between the bag and your shoulders then??

Correct. If theres a gap between your shoulders and the bag then you'll be putting unnecessary strain on your back. Having the shoulder straps as tight as possible (without going so far as blocking the blood flow to your arms) is the way to go.
    By tightening the shoulder straps it will rest as high up your back as possible so it is easy to carry for hours on end (if need be).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

RATM, I can't believe you don't use the hip straps! Thy basically take all of the weight and transfer it to your hips, making the bag seem so light.

You didn't use them for Annapurna or EBC?

Nah never use them, I know I should but I think I have some kind of wonky waist and it never fells comfortable when I do them up so I just let them hang :)
    Hey you and the g/f still on the road these days or did you make it home yet?
    I'm off to Peru, Bolivia and Argentina for the summer, can't wait !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Nah home for the last three months. Feels like I never left :mad:

Oh I know that feeling all too well, its even worse when you've racked up a credit card debt on the road and have to pay it off before you can start saving for the next trip:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭NervousNude

I have that berghaus bag too and the guy I bought it from spent a good 15 minutes showing me how to adjust it properly! To start with, there's a metal bar support that runs the height of the pack, you can bend this to fit into your back. He did this for me in the shop so I don't know much more about it other than it's nice and snug now

I second that the hip straps are the most important, put 20kg on your shoulders and you will know about it soon! The hip straps should sit ON your hips, not around your waist. The best way to get it so most of the weight is supported through the hip straps is like so:

1.Loosen out the shoulder straps a good bit. This should be done from the top of the shoulder straps, not the bottom. I'm sure it'll make sense when you look at your bag :p
    2.Put the backpack on normally, with your arms through the shoulder straps.
    3.Lean over backwards a bit and sit the back pack on something, a chair, your bed, a window ledge, a large dog/small donkey/strong child so that most of the weight is supported by whatever it's on.
    4.Get the hip straps in the right place and tighten them up well. Wriggle a bit. Then (still leaning back) tighten up the shoulder straps so they're comfortable.
    5. When you stand up, the bag sort of 'falls' onto your hips.

After a while, you'll get fast at this and not look like a tit :D

Advertisement