Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions on style

Options
  • 30-04-2009 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I am studying in GMIT and the studies have caused me to have a few questions on style. Im near to the answers but they just haven’t clicked with me.

For example why is it that if a person is decorating a room in one theme eg he puts three posters on the theme of a movie, it is better than two movie posters and one artistic poster?

Why if a essay emphasis one argument exclusively better than a essay that has a argument that has the pro's and con's of a decision?

Why lets say in a ethics essay is using the same methodology eg Kants categorical imperative twice in two case studies better than using two separate methodologies.:confused:

Thanks in advance for replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

TOMSIE wrote: »
    For example why is it that if a person is decorating a room in one theme eg he puts three posters on the theme of a movie, it is better than two movie posters and one artistic poster?

In whos opinion? What if youve got horribly clashing colours with the 3 movie ones? What if youve got James Bond posters and an artists portrait of whatever that Scottish guys name is that played James Bond that I cant remember.
    Why if a essay emphasis one argument exclusively better than a essay that has a argument that has the pro's and con's of a decision?

Well if its a philosophy essay its not. Its not well argued or thought through if it simply presents its own perspective. However once again this is just a matter of opinion and convention, nothing hard and fast.
    Why lets say in a ethics essay is using the same methodology eg Kants categorical imperative twice in two case studies better than using two separate methodologies.:confused:

Well if the aim of the essay is to compare the two studies then the only way its possible is if you compare them using the same methodology. For instance I can look at the same study in two completely different ways, so there is no basis for my conclusions if I have looked at two scenarios with a different approach in mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement