Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boozing.. On the Dole?

Options
  • 30-04-2009 5:58pm

I can't really understand this one. I regularly see the same people standing outside pubs having a smoke, and much later meeting them when I'm walking home. They're usually steaming drunk by eleven o'clock. I'm on welfare myself, and see a lot of these people queuing up for their payments when i go in. I can't understand how these people can afford to go drinking a few days/nights of the week. Are they going in and having two pints, hoping the drinks will last hours, and then getting smashed because they haven't eaten all day? I could understand if they drank at home, and then hit the pubs late at night, but that doesn't seem to be the case...

I'm able to afford one nights drinking in the pub every three-four weeks, but it doesn't take much to get me drunk these days. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It's easy to buy drink and smokes if you don't do anything else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Maybe somebody can explain the traveller woman i saw collecting her dole this week in finglas post office before driving off in a 08 Navarara jeep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭b12mearse

Alot of them have alternative incomes. Gambling, drug dealing. Some drink Bavaria for breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Possibly either they or their partners are working for cash-in-hand as casual labour/part-time workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I can't really understand this one. I regularly see the same people standing outside pubs having a smoke, and much later meeting them when I'm walking home. They're usually steaming drunk by eleven o'clock. I'm on welfare myself, and see a lot of these people queuing up for their payments when i go in. I can't understand how these people can afford to go drinking a few days/nights of the week. Are they going in and having two pints, hoping the drinks will last hours, and then getting smashed because they haven't eaten all day? I could understand if they drank at home, and then hit the pubs late at night, but that doesn't seem to be the case...

I'm able to afford one nights drinking in the pub every three-four weeks, but it doesn't take much to get me drunk these days. :rolleyes:

Most of them will have all their rent etc. paid for, some will be living with a woman who can claim unmarried mother's allowance etc., while renting out their own place to someone else. There's ways and means.

I can usually afford a bottle of whiskey every 2-3 weeks, though that's my own fault for not getting someone knocked up I suppose. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Degsy wrote: »
    Maybe somebody can explain the traveller woman i saw collecting her dole this week in finglas post office before driving off in a 08 Navarara jeep?

She has the lend of someone else's jeep?
    Her insurance company provided it to her as a temporary replacement while her own car of much lesser value is being repaired?
    She had a good job until recently and unexpectedly lost it?
    She saved her money for years and years and bought a jeep she liked?

There's plenty of legitimate explanations there if you're willing to look for them. And yeah I know the counter argument is that there are plenty of excuses if you're willing to look for them too but the point is neither you nor I have a clue about that woman's circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

they collect dole from all over the city thats why she was driving a 08 Navarara jeep

don't you know that all those middle-aged bums sell their bodies to pay for the alcohol?

massive demand for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

javaboy wrote: »
    There's plenty of legitimate explanations there if you're willing to look for them. And yeah I know the counter argument is that there are plenty of excuses if you're willing to look for them too but the point is neither you nor I have a clue about that woman's circumstances.

Oh but i do.
    She's part of an extended family that live in dunsink halting site.
    Here's her brother
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/cab-seizes-8364100000-from-jailed-traveller-1091379.html

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/the-young-traveller-tigers-who-have-amassed-millions-in-land-and-money-704169.html

And her other brother
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/courts/taxis-targeted-in-twoweek-crime-binge-1714652.html

Here's her son
    f670_hopk8404jepg30099cl30_large.jpg Darren "Mousy" Joyce (12 years old), Dunsink Lane, Finglas, Dublin. Darren passes all his free time with his horse, he keeps it hidden away from the local authorities in the grounds of an uninhabited house. "Due to the Horses Act they are now very secretive about their horses, they are afraid to tell people about their existence. Also if the Social Welfare knew that they had horses they would no longer give them the Dole, on the basis that if they have sufficient funds to keep horses, they also had the funds to support their families." - Damian Peelo

amacachi wrote: »
    Most of them will have all their rent etc. paid for, some will be living with a woman who can claim unmarried mother's allowance etc., while renting out their own place to someone else. There's ways and means.

I have my own place, but I have to rent it out otherwise I could never make the mortgage.. And I'm still making a loss on it. (My dole makes up the shortfall) I didn't realise you could actually make a profit from having a house in Ireland.. Must look into that.. :D

Thank Goodness my parents haven't gotten over the novelty of my being back in the country.. ;)

• Advertisement

I have my own place, but I have to rent it out otherwise I could never make the mortgage.. And I'm still making a loss on it. (My dole makes up the shortfall) I didn't realise you could actually make a profit from having a house in Ireland.. Must look into that.. :D

Thank Goodness my parents haven't gotten over the novelty of my being back in the country.. ;)

What they're doing is living with someone else while renting out their council house to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Now that I'm on the dole I'll be downgrading from Tuborg (6 for €7.50) to Excelsior (4 for €3.45).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Why dont you confront them?

Just ask them there name, address and employment situation and report them.

Orrrrr you could come on boards and whine about it.

amacachi wrote: »
    What they're doing is living with someone else while renting out their council house to someone else.

:eek:

:eek:

Then they live with their kids and the mothers of their kids, she still gets to claim different incomes supports etc. That's my problem, not people renting their own houses out. :P

Why dont you confront them?

Just ask them there name, address and employment situation and report them.

Orrrrr you could come on boards and whine about it.

Is that directed at me? I don't think i was complaining about them drinking.. Just curious as to how they did it..

Guess I'm just not as smart as them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

6 cans of Dutch Gold and a straw

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

"Due to the Horses Act they are now very secretive about their horses, they are afraid to tell people about their existence. Also if the Social Welfare knew that they had horses they would no longer give them the Dole, on the basis that if they have sufficient funds to keep horses, they also had the funds to support their families." - Damian Peelo

Obviously not very secretive.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Recession

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭fattestman

Sweet divine, what started out as a responsible conversation nosedived fairly quickly, didn't it?

I wonder if there's a thread anywhere else on boards so steeped in bigotry, gossip and unfounded hearsay?

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Gambling helps alot. I now have a good few unemployed friends and they make up the massive shortfall by gambling, sometimes it works quite well for them. Other times Ive had to buy them food for a week.

Forgot to mention, claims. A lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

She bought it with the childers allowance, boss.

Sure isn't that what its for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

She was most likely in the dole office complaining about the fact she can't upgrade to a 09 Navara :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Some of these scroungers make a lot of money from handouts from our generous government.

A couple's dole
    House paid by rent allowance
    Childrens allowance etc etc

Im sure someone can do the maths and figure how much people like this with 4 kids as an example get every week in cash and its plenty to keep them on the lash considering they probably dont have a car/mortgage to pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Gambling is a popular past time for some unemployed people near where I live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

podge3 wrote: »
    She bought it with the childers allowance, boss.

Sure isn't that what its for?
    Maybe she bought it when she WAS working...:rolleyes:

Also if you are ont eh dole you are also allowed have a "social" life !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

they are legally allowed to trade and sign on:cool::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

tv3 wrote: »
    Also if you are ont eh dole you are also allowed have a "social" life !
    I always assumed that dole was meant to be a subsistence payment - i.e. to keep you and yours from starving.

I didn't realise that its meant to pay for a social life, drink, fags, Sky Sport, cars with a spud launcher on the back etc etc.

Advertisement