Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile rebranding and relaunch

• 30-04-2009 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

tescoMobileLogo.gif
    http://www.tescomobile.ie/

Anyone notice the increased amount of advertising for Tesco recently?
    I have seen ads on tv. Usually two ads in the same break. The ads are done by Simon Delaney, sitting eating cake talking about the buy one get one free topups.

Also noticed posters around, like on the new big JC Decaux scrolling billboards. They have also changed the logo, and the site has been re-branded to match the new look.

I think they have 2% of the market, they must be trying to achieve more now. First time they have really tried in fairness, i would like to see a decent effort from them. When money is tight, now is their chance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Their phones are cheap. I think thats what their going for. Although they could sway lots of customers if they had new popular phones. The 5800 for example. If they did it slightly cheaper than the other networks they might get people to port.

Yes if they had a texts plan would be good, would suit a lot of people. Tesco are quite cheap, the trick is to get a large number to switch so can get best the cheap calls. Kinda catch 22 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭brendanuk

brendanuk wrote: »

Needs a lot of work. Its nothing in comparison to any of the other networks. They haven't even touched it yet by the looks of it. The old logo is still on it.

TESCO_every_Little_helps_logo.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

If they get with the times and offer 3G on the cheap aswell I'd consider.

They do have good value data bundles

http://www.tescomobile.ie/MoneySavingBundles.aspx#web_surf

One day: €0.99 up to 3MB

Seven day: €3.99 up to 20MB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Except its WAP and not 3G.

Elessar wrote: »
    Except its WAP and not 3G.

Well GPRS speeds. Its using o2's network so they should be providing EDGE speeds like they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Davy wrote: »
    They do have good value data bundles

http://www.tescomobile.ie/MoneySavingBundles.aspx#web_surf

One day: €0.99 up to 3MB

Seven day: €3.99 up to 20MB

Good value ?

"Are you having a laugh ? He must be having a laugh."

long_b wrote: »
    Good value ?

"Are you having a laugh ? He must be having a laugh."

didnt mean that,,,,;)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Lol they're selling handsets that are end of life on other networks. FFS seen the sew580i for sale in tesco's Hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Maybe if i was 12 i might buy the playboy phone but christ what they are offering phone wise is worse than Meteor!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Shelbo

I've seen the bright blue Tesco Mobile posters everywhere & seen them on TV and heard a couple of their radio ads recently - I think they'll do well now especially when people get hit by all those levies at the end of this month - everybody will be trying to save money so I think people will be willing to give them a second look and switch if they get20c call rates & 9c texts especially with their Buy 1 Top Up and get another one free offer. I know everyone ain't keen on their phones so the best thing to do is keep your phone and just get one of their Sims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

A few things I don't like minimum call charge is 1min thats 20c so if you get someones voice mail 20c gone straight away. That fact that roaming is limited but for people who don't travel that often fair enough. Also there appears to be some issue between tesco mobile and three where you can't make calls between the networks. Just some things to watch out for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I did a cost comparison on callcosts.ie (a website developed ComReg to help consumers to compare the cost of mobile, home phone and broadband price plans).

I did a detailed breakdown of all my calls from August, breaking it down into the number of minutes to each network, landlines & texts, and also what times of the day the calls were made at.

I'm currently on Meteor & paid €19.67 for the month. The equivilant cost with Tesco mobile worked out at €6.63 - that's a saving of €13.04, or an average of over €150 in a year.

It's a no-brainer for me... €2.50 for a new SIM, you can take your number with you & you get up to €35 free credit for changing over.. not to mention that you get €10 / €20 / €30 free credit to match the amount you top up by.

Add to that... their network is provided by 02 (I can only get coverage in certain parts of the house with Meteor).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

All ok until you have an issue that CS fail to understand.

I had an issue where I could not receive incoming calls. Called CS, they had no clue as to the problem. Leave it with us and we will get back to you. 2 weeks later problem still there and CS still clueless.

I ended up porting to meteor to fix the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I did a cost comparison on callcosts.ie (a website developed ComReg to help consumers to compare the cost of mobile, home phone and broadband price plans).

I did a detailed breakdown of all my calls from August, breaking it down into the number of minutes to each network, landlines & texts, and also what times of the day the calls were made at.

I'm currently on Meteor & paid €19.67 for the month. The equivilant cost with Tesco mobile worked out at €6.63 - that's a saving of €13.04, or an average of over €150 in a year.

It's a no-brainer for me... €2.50 for a new SIM, you can take your number with you & you get up to €35 free credit for changing over.. not to mention that you get €10 / €20 / €30 free credit to match the amount you top up by.

Add to that... their network is provided by 02 (I can only get coverage in certain parts of the house with Meteor).

callcosts.ie is useless. Good idea but poorly executed. Fails to give accurate results. I spend €20 a month on o2 prepay- I put in my exact usage once and it tried to claim I should be spending €130 a month....

If they don't take into account the various incentives offered for topping up by €20 a month (free calls/texts) then they might as well just take the site down

Also, to spend only €6.63 a month you must have very small usage, something like 10 mins and 50 texts a month, and in that case then tesco would be ideal, as Tesco only suits the extremely light user.

For heavy texters, Tesco is the WORST value network, as the other networks offer fre any network texts for topping up.

And for those who call a lot, billpay is probably a no brainer.

And the free calls and texts to all tesco customers a month for topping up by €20 is a joke. Wow, free calls/texts to something like 1% of the population...

Minimum call charge of 20c? Woefully bad....

Data (wap only) charges are fairly bad too.

Also, customer care is not supposed to be the best.

The only way Tesco are going to start to make an impact is if they introduce the free any network text like the other networks have. And bring down that draconian minimum call charge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

I bought one of these phones and SIMs to use for daytime calls and general spare phone/number and might switch over completely eventually. Anyway, i registered online and they only credited me with 7.50 in free credit as well as 2.50 on SIM. They say you get 20euro free credit when registering so why didnt i get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I bought one of these phones and SIMs to use for daytime calls and general spare phone/number and might switch over completely eventually. Anyway, i registered online and they only credited me with 7.50 in free credit as well as 2.50 on SIM. They say you get 20euro free credit when registering so why didnt i get it?

You only get €20 when you port your number from an other network I think.

Advertisement