Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink Cycling

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Zab wrote: »
    I think that comparing driving a 1.8 meter wide 1400kg car at 40kph to cycling a 66cm wide 14kg bike bike at 20kph is ridiculous.

It depends on the context within which the comparison is made. The context in this case is one of safety. It is perfectly possible for a pedestrian to be killed in a collision with a cyclist. I doubt very much if a dead pedestrian will care whether he was hit by a car or a cyclist.

Where in my post did I compare a 1400Kg vehicle travelling at 40Kph to a 14Kg vehicle travelling at 20Kph? I never made that comparison. However, Had I done so, within the context of safety it would have been perfectly valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

Morzadec wrote: »
    Someone had a thread on here a few days ago saying that he crosses the street when he sees a black guy because he got mugged twice by black guys at night. He'd tarred them all with the same brush.

Well if I got tarred I'd mug the f*cker too.
    And of course they went black, what did he expect?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

liamo wrote: »
    It depends on the context within which the comparison is made. The context in this case is one of safety. It is perfectly possible for a pedestrian to be killed in a collision with a cyclist. I doubt very much if a dead pedestrian will care whether he was hit by a car or a cyclist.

Its also perfectly possible for a pedestrian to be killed in a collision with a drunk pedestrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Terry wrote: »
    Cycled into the back of a parked truck. Think I broke my nose that time.
    Almost cycled into the Royal Canal.
    Was crossing the road and was hit by a moped.

Then there are all the falls and stuff.
    My knees are ****ed from it.

Eh... Terry, we're discussing whether or not its okay. Your experience seems to establish, quite clearly, that you're not very good at it but where do you stand on the rights and wrong? :P

(edit: first time I did it, which was quite close to the first time I drank, I cycled into a lamppost... I normally do cycle home after a few drinks though, and haven't had any trouble since. Wouldn't cycle blind drunk or off my face or anything, but that's just common sense...)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

jester77 wrote: »
    Of course it's wrong, what if you fall out in front of someone and they drive over you?

Not sure what the rules are in Ireland but here in Germany it's treated the same as drink driving and you lose your license.

License? Wow I knew the Germans were strict but **** me. I have a wonderful image in my head of people taking lessons on tandem bikes with L plates stuck on them. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I never thought about it really, on Thursday night I cycled to get a bottle of wine, and I was already skulled =]

It's safe, unless you're dumb.

Advertisement