Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potato ricer

• 30-04-2009 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering how much of a difference will a potato ricer make to mashed potatoes as opposed to the regular masher. the current masher needs replacing so i was wondering am i as well to get a new masher or a cheap ricer online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

A huge difference. You can get them in M&S Henry St. for around €10 (it should also be part of their 3 for 2 offer). A masher won't get all the potatos to the same consistency, a ricer will. I normally boil the spuds, peel, rice, and back in the pot to dry out a bit before adding some seasoning, hot milk and lots of cold butter. And if you want really smooth mash, get a tamis after the ricing stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

popped into the galway m&s there. they had none. i went up to debenhems above it and they had one that was more expensive there than on ebay (same one). i went to another home store and they only had an über expensive one and wont have regular ones until the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

i got mine in tk max. the best kitchen gadget ever. I got the plastic one but my friend bought a metal one in a kitchen shop in dundrum but my plastic one is so much better.

hmmm, i'll see what i find in tkmaxx next time i'm back in sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

would you not buy a small moulis from your local catering supplier?

• Advertisement

this is a mouli

9MOU3.jpg

This is what i use in work, its 229 and for multiple 10kg bags of spuds, but they are available smaller and a heck of alot cheaper. i pass all my soups and stuff through it too. best mash ever.

potatoes piping hot, no seasoning/butter/milk/cream/cola:eek:

Brings it all out, no lumps no differences. season after.

I spelled it wrong in my first post, its mouli as opposed to moulis. do some searches and see what pops up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

this is a mouli

9MOU3.jpg

This is what i use in work, its 229 and for multiple 10kg bags of spuds, but they are available smaller and a heck of alot cheaper. i pass all my soups and stuff through it too. best mash ever.

I spelled it wrong in my first post, its mouli as opposed to moulis. do some searches and see what pops up.

cola as in coca cola?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Thing is, a masher doesn't just mash spuds. And you can't do red beans and rice, or veggie chilli, or refried beans or whatever without a masher.
    Different tools for different jobs and they cost what, a fiver? Buy both.

the masher in my house is grand for mashing something like turnip where lumps don't matter but it's so battered at this stage it wont do a good job on potatoes as the plate on the bottom isn't flat. the ricer looks like it'll suit me for the scale that i operate on, though the mouli does tempt me in terms of soup as mentioned due to my current lack of food processor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

this is a mouli

9MOU3.jpg

A ricer, for 10 euro, will do pretty much the same thing.

Somebody needs to make a moter driven mouli, bloody arm pump from the fecking things if you are preping for a busy night of large function is a floody killer!

• Advertisement

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    the mouli does tempt me in terms of soup as mentioned due to my current lack of food processor.

Sit a Chinois in a Conical Strainer sitting in a pot and as you pass your soup through it use a hand blender and slitz it, every now and then stop and run a wodden spoon around in it to press stuff through. minimal waste, lot cheaper than a mouli and you have 3 seperate untensils for an array of jobs for less than 30 quid.

rocknchef wrote: »
    cola as in coca cola?

yeh, joke hence the....:eek:

A mouli may be more expesive, but 100 times better than a ricer, 1000000000's more uses and something you'll never regret buying.

Yeh a mouli's a **** for tiring your arm's, my top tip, is to employ some kp's lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I got a Mouli for about a fiver down in Kildare Shopping Village. Best gadget I've ever bought. Now it's a bit of a bitch to wash, so you gotta love your spuds. But they come out SOOO creamy - it's really worth it. You can do soups and all sorts in a mouli too - it basically grates the potatoes, not like the ricer where it forces it through a hole. So it is slightly different. But a ricer is smaller and easier to clean. Defo get one or the other!

olaola wrote: »
    I got a Mouli for about a fiver down in Kildare Shopping Village. Best gadget I've ever bought. Now it's a bit of a bitch to wash, so you gotta love your spuds. But they come out SOOO creamy - it's really worth it. You can do soups and all sorts in a mouli too - it basically grates the potatoes, not like the ricer where it forces it through a hole. So it is slightly different. But a ricer is smaller and easier to clean. Defo get one or the other!

Good post. the one i posted is for industrial use, but you've showed they are available just as cheap and are better.;)

This is the one I got - http://www.moulinex.co.uk/pages/food_CAvegetb.htm?OnpageA=1 in the Tefal shop. It was about €4.50 as memory serves? And it has two sieves.

This is the one I got - http://www.moulinex.co.uk/pages/food_CAvegetb.htm?OnpageA=1 in the Tefal shop. It was about €4.50 as memory serves? And it has two sieves.

How big is it, im too lazy to read dimensions...

Seaneh wrote: »
    How big is it, im too lazy to read dimensions...

It's big enough to rest on the top of a med-large pot.

It's big enough to rest on the top of a med-large pot.

/me shuffles off to Tommy Vardens to see if they have model in stock...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I have a brilliant Potato Masher

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000RE777I/pghomeimproveret-21/ref=asc_df_B000RE777I347044

but with a stainless steel handle.

It never gets clogged and can make perfect non-lumpy mash in no time.

I only bought it because I needed one and they didn't have another one in the shop at the time as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I love my ricer.
    Makes fantastic mash!

I reckon the mouli would be a bit of a bother to clean!

Saw metal ricer in TK Max the other day.
    I'd recommend one to anyone who's serious about mash although it is more troublesome than just using a masher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

There's an interesting article here about what types of potatoes and how best to cook them for mash, depending on what consistency you prefer, with an accompanying recipe here.

got a ricer in debenhams today, 25% off. can't wait to use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

I've been meaning to get a ricer for ages but in the mean time came up with an alternative. Had the spuds steaming off in a metal colander in the pot they were boiled in as usual and just mashed them in the colander. The potato that is pushed through the colander is just like riced mash and after a minutes mashing whats left in the colander is pummeled so much when scooped into the pot and mixed with the "riced mash" in makes no difference. Do it all the time now and get lovely smooth mash every time

Advertisement