Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC Tech to LC Engineering?

Options
  • 30-04-2009 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so well I picked biology chem and engineering for my subject choices for the leaving cert.

Im doing Technology now so Im just not too sure really are the two subjects similar enough... Engineering is a pretty vague name for a subject as it could be any form of engineering.

What exactly do you learn (In a practical sense).

Just finished up my JC project today and not too bothered about the actual JC minus Irish and Maths, havent started studying yet.

Anyways my question is
    What is Engineering about in LC? and
    Is it a good follow up subject for Technology

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

Dont know anything about Technology but I do Engineering for LC.

Basically consists of:

50% Theory:

You have a load of short questions to do with various topics which is quite a handy question.
    Then you have a special topic, which is different every year.
    You learn about Welding / Bridge Rectifiers ect.. Which is cool enough.
    You learn about Plastics, polymers and how they are produced ect..
    You learn about Stress / Strain / Properties of materials ect..
    You learn about Melting points of metals / how soluble some metals are in others ect..
    Other things too like Mechanisms and circuits and I find it all interesting, however I dont think that it is what you would call '' Engineering '' in a sense.. I pictured it completely differently.

25 % Project:

You have like 6 months to make a project.

25% Practical:

You get 6 hours to make a practical piece which you are given info about on the day.

Overall, a nice subject which is reasonably easy to obtain points in if you put in a bit of work ( And if you are good at practical ).

Advertisement