Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mensa

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

bluewolf wrote: »
    'they should be encouraged to acquire knowledge independantly[sic].' like his friend who taught himself piano?

Can you not see the difference between this and 'left to fend for themselves' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

We wrote: »
    'An intelligence quotient or IQ is a score derived from one of several different standardized tests attempting to measure intelligence.'
    That sounds like an old definition, where'd you get it from? The word "intelligence" is a highly disputed term. IQ tests attempt to measure problem solving ability.
    Please elaborate. Firstly, if your going to defend this I would like to understand what you define intelligence as, and also what part of intelligence an IQ test measures, as opposed to measuring intelligence as a whole, like they intend to.
    Traditionally, and at the time IQ tests were devised, intelligence was defined in terms of logical/problem solving ability, which is what IQ tests attempt to measure.

The reason Mensa call themselves "The High IQ Society" and not "The Intelligence Society" is because these days the word "intelligence" has many different definitions, and is a very volatile topic of conversation.

Mensa value the results given by IQ tests. They are perfectly entitled to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

bluewolf wrote: »
    Er no? 'they should be encouraged to acquire knowledge independantly[sic].' like his friend who taught himself piano?

lol
    not to mention 'the only reason i was clever was because my mother had thought[sic] me how to read at a very young age '
    really, lol.
    Why lol?

I personally would lean towards the thinking that how intelligent one is in later life is heavily based on one's upbringing. I don't see what's "lol" about that...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If you want complicated articles you could subscribe to National Geographic for less cost and you don't need to have a certification to do so
    The National Geographic is not a complicated magazine. Their articles are pretty straight forward, imho.
    5318008! wrote: »
    I'm just saying that we shouldn't give them the impression they're something they're not. Clever children should be encouraged to develop interests and move ahead of the class by learning in their own time. Most "gifted children do this anyway, hence them becoming "gifted".
    You're basically advocating an education policy where intelligent children are forced to carry on at a level way below their capabilites. You might as well suggest that 10 year olds stay in the same classes as 5 year olds, because they can "learn in their own time". I get the impression that you have very little understanding of children and how they learn.
    Yes, as i said before they should be encouraged to operate outside the confinements of formal learning and acquire knowledge independantly. If you're genuinely interested in something and you're doing it purely for yourself it's way easier to get things done (for example i've a friend who thought himself piano and got as far in 6 months as 5 years of lessons got me).

Again, this independant learning idea. Are you really arguing that smart children should have to carry the burden of teaching themselves everything? Would you say the same thing about a talented young footballer, for example, who should go off and train on his/her own because they're so much better than their peers? I doubt it.
    So you expect people to be well adjusted at such a young age? kids are impressionable.
    I remember actually thinking i was better than my 6th class teacher because he gave a wrong answer to what i thought was an obvious question. Back then, i was as arrogant as they come. I thought i was just plain better than other people, when in fact the only reason i was clever was because my mother had thought me how to read at a very young age and i had always kept well ahead of my "average" classmates. School was boring (as it would be for anyone who's ahead of their class) and this made me seek intellectual stimulation elsewhere.
    Indeed, children are impressionable by nature. Do you think we should give them the impression that it's ok to be good at some things, but that being good at "intelligent" things is wrong? And another rhetorical question for you: is it fair to assume that all "clever" children are arrogant because you happened to be a bit arrogant as a child? It's like saying all kids should have a certain hair-cut just because you remember having one as a child.
    i realised that i wasn't special or gifted, and neither were any of the other nerds in the class. We weren't gonna just fall into amazing jobs and become the elite of society (gods and clods spring to mind), to achieve that would require work.

Sadly, many of them didn't fully grow up. One guy in particular still has the arrogance i had at 12.

I'm actually saddened by your pessimism :( You got lazy when you hit puberty, therefore none of the smart people in your class have any hope? That's a pretty depressing sentiment, and a misguided one.
    Instead of telling some children they're "gifted", we should tell them the truth. They're not innately superior, they have an advantage over other kids because for every few hours they spent playing, they might spend a half hour reading a factual book or watching a documentary or something. Tell them that they're in a privileged position and that they should work hard to maintain/increase this advantage into adult life.
    It could also be argued that the time they don't spend playing is putting them at a social disadvantage, and therefore a "club" such as MENSA should be lauded for giving a social outlet to people who didn't have gangs of friends as children. Also, it is certainly possible to make time for both play and reading/watching documentaries, so your polarising of them is inaccurate to say the least.

One last point, for somebody who claims to have sought intellectual stimulation, your user-name is ironically immature :D
    5318008 reads "boobies" on an inverted calculator ;)
    lol did you pick this out of the sky or what?

Read the thread before you make ignorant posts much?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Why lol?

I personally would lean towards the thinking that how intelligent one is in later life is heavily based on one's upbringing. I don't see what's "lol" about that...

Intelligence is not your knowledge, it's your ability to acquire knowledge.

e.g. as the dictionary says:
    'having good understanding or a high mental capacity; quick to comprehend, as persons or animals: an intelligent student.'

It doesn't matter really if they learnt to read before getting into school or not; if they are more intelligent than their classmates they will learn it far faster than anybody else in their class.

I suppose you could be right in the sense that if it's not exercised properly in their early years it can get 'rusty' but I don't suppose that's what you meant? :)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

An File wrote: »
    Read the thread before you make ignorant posts much?
    I read the thread. Any my post wasn't directed at you. My post was direct at bluewolf, and I gave justification for it. Maybe you didn't read that post though ;)

Oh the irony..

FAO: JC 2K3 , I'll reply to your post in a while, heading out atm, this isn't over :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭5318008!

You're basically advocating an education policy where intelligent children are forced to carry on at a level way below their capabilites. You might as well suggest that 10 year olds stay in the same classes as 5 year olds, because they can "learn in their own time". I get the impression that you have very little understanding of children and how they learn.
    I personally think there's way too many hours in a school day (for primary school, especially early on). Many education experts agree with me (well moreso me agreeing with them :p). I think kids should play and do sports and music (if their interested) a lot more. Maybe kids who finish their work early should be encouraged to read in another room (i remember doing this in 2nd class).

Again, this independant learning idea. Are you really arguing that smart children should have to carry the burden of teaching themselves everything? Would you say the same thing about a talented young footballer, for example, who should go off and train on his/her own because they're so much better than their peers? I doubt it.
    Knowledge and skills are completely different. If a child wants to learn a certain skill outside of school, yes we should do everything we can to facilitate this learning. I think any child with such an intellectual interest should be allowed the opportunity to develop it though, not just those in the top 5%. Who knows, if you try and force this upon intelligent children you may kill their passion for learning.

It could also be argued that the time they don't spend playing is putting them at a social disadvantage, and therefore a "club" such as MENSA should be lauded for giving a social outlet to people who didn't have gangs of friends as children. Also, it is certainly possible to make time for both play and reading/watching documentaries, so your polarising of them is inaccurate to say the least.
    You're trying to put words in my mouth. I clearly said "for every few hours spent playing", not "instead of playing". I think play is really important.
    For somebody who claims to have sought intellectual stimulation, your user-name is ironically immature :D

As you pointed out above, you have to have balance in life :)!
    I'm actually saddened by your pessimism :( You got lazy when you hit puberty, therefore none of the smart people in your class have any hope? That's a pretty depressing sentiment, and a misguided one.

Again with the putting of words in my mouth. When did I ever say that?

I should make this clear; these people I'm talking about never overestimate their own abilities (it'd take a special kind of person not to know their own limits). Their problem lies moreso in their under-estimation of the abilities of others.

Oh, and i've always been lazy :p!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The Omega society:

http://www.theomegasociety.com/introduction.html

You think they could do better than that for a site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Samurai wrote: »
    There are something like 3 different IQ tests one for languages one maths and another, its not near as hard to qualify as people think if it was they'd make less money! Last time I checked I qualified under maths but failed miserably in the other categories and so was still eligible to join

not paying those ***** a penny though!
    Monkey61 wrote: »
    Eh..none of that is true.
    consultech wrote: »
    Lies make baby Jesus cry :( MENSA's testing proceedure has already been mentioned in this thread; Where exactly do you "check" if various aspects of your intelligence make the grade? Mensa hotline or something?

Apologies for getting all serious in AH but..

As different IQ tests were developed, each was given its own scoring system. Therefore, an IQ of 150 is a meaningless claim unless you know the actual test which was used. In order to compare one IQ test against another, the scores are converted to 'percentiles', i.e. where a person's score falls in comparison to the rest of the population by percentage. Mensa offers membership to anyone whose IQ score places them within the top two per cent of the population, no matter which approved test was used.

A top 2% mark in any of these frequently used tests below qualifies you for entry to Mensa. The minimum test mark to get into Mensa is:

Cattell III B - 148
    Culture Fair - 132
    Ravens Advanced Matrices - 135
    Ravens Standard Matrices - 131
    Wechsler Scales - 132

-www.mensa.org.uk

I got a bit confused earlier as my memory is quite hazy these days, as 2% in any category qualifies you that would mean that near 10% qualifies for mensa

anyhoo the test I took wasnt created by mensa it was a similar one designed to tell you if you would qualify for mensa it was somewhere online can't find it at the mo.

http://www.mensa.org/workout2.php? - just did that and got

Your score was 25 out of 30. That is an excellent score—you would have a very strong chance of passing the Mensa test and joining Mensa.
    Please note that the Mensa Workout is NOT the official Mensa test, and your score will not qualify or disqualify you for membership.

if that prooves anything! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I know this is gonna sound like me being a sore loser, but there's actually research to back this up:

Could we have some then please.
    Having a high I.Q doesn't actually count for much in the real world :eek:!

Could you please elaborate with an explanation or a reference.
    All it means is you can solve some puzzles faster and have a few extra words in your vocabulary. Does it factor in your knowledge or your understanding of the world and it's workings. Does it test your ability to come up with innovative solutions?

It measures both fluid and crystallised intelligence, i.e. what you know already and your ability to think analytically and to solve novel problems i.e. innovative solutions. The matrices section covers this very well. In the WAIS III intelligence test the picture completion task and general knowledge section would take into account a persons knowledge of how the "world works" although I have a feeling you meant that in a vague rhetorical sense.
    The whole concept of putting an objective number to intelligence is extremely flawed imo. It's like trying to put a number on coolness

No, it really isn't. Intelligence tests can be and are objective, to an extent of course, it's not perfect. For example, the latest edition of the Stanford Binet intelligence scale was based on a normative sample of 4800 people stratified to represent the population of the United States. So if you take the test, then the chances are that there is a huge group of people of similar race and socioeconomic background with which your result can be compared.
    There's too many different factors involved. How do you weigh up each factor? Is verbal reasoning more or less important than spatial ability?

You obviously have no idea about psychometrics or have never read even a wikipedia article on the subject. If you are interested I'd recommend this one
    . Throughout the history of intelligence testing there has been plenty of research into the area of what factors make up intelligence and as of 2009 there is considerable professional convergence on what these factors are. Again, rather than start arguing with me, I suggest you actually read up on the subject. If you read wikipedia you will see that the WAIS intelligence scale is equally balanced for both verbal and spatial intelligence.
    The simple fact is : geniuses are made, not born.

The entire field of genetics would tend to disagree with you there. Environment is important, but it won't work unless a natural gift is present.
    Personally, i think I.Q tests,mensa, ctyi and simmilar projects (while well intentioned) do more harm than good.

I.Q tests do more harm than good? Are you for real? The reason I.Q tests were originally developed was to identify children that are in need of special education, indeed that is the predominant reason for their use today. Every year, hundreds of children can be accurately assessed as to whether they need special education and if so, what type, all thanks to I.Q tests.

Please go and read up on the subject before spouting such nonsense. And before you try to systematically break my post apart, how about you provide some references and explanations for your various points first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The negative posts in this thread are a classic example of what in Australia is called the Tall Poppy Syndrome:
    "a societal phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are criticised or resented because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome

Live and let live.
    a load of nerds who got picked on and beat up at school
    They are a bunch of losers who walks around thinking they're god's gift to the world.
    I see ignorant ****ers who don't really understand much about the world, walking around thinking they're part of some elite and that everyone else is dumb
    the vast majority of mensa people are arrogant sh!theads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

cnocbui wrote: »
    The negative posts in this thread are a classic example of what in Australia is called the Tall Poppy Syndrome:
    "a societal phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are criticised or resented because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome

Live and let live.

In Ireland, this is also called "Begrudgery".:)

Valmont wrote: »
    Could we have some then please.
    I'm not the type of person who goes around the place reading random research papers, so here's an article i found interesting;

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19125691.300-how-to-be-a-genius.html?full=true

It might point you towards some research.....if it really means that much to you (jesus, this is After hours, not ****ing childpsychologyforums.com).

Could you please elaborate with an explanation or a reference.
    Well why isn't everyone with a genius IQ a millionaire or outstanding acedemic, when many with only slightly above average IQs are?

It measures both fluid and crystallised intelligence, i.e. what you know already and your ability to think analytically and to solve novel problems i.e. innovative solutions. The matrices section covers this very well. In the WAIS III intelligence test the picture completion task and general knowledge section would take into account a persons knowledge of how the "world works" although I have a feeling you meant that in a vague rhetorical sense.
    The picture completion isn't really what i was looking for. For example someone who has spent ages analysing market trends in an efficient way might have developed such a good understanding that they can make themselves a millionaire with almost no effort.

Surely such a great capacity for understanding the workings of such systems (as opposed to knowledge...which a computer can beat a human at) would make someone intelligent, no?

No, it really isn't. Intelligence tests can be and are objective, to an extent of course, it's not perfect. For example, the latest edition of the Stanford Binet intelligence scale was based on a normative sample of 4800 people stratified to represent the population of the United States. So if you take the test, then the chances are that there is a huge group of people of similar race and socioeconomic background with which your result can be compared.

You obviously have no idea about psychometrics or have never read even a wikipedia article on the subject. If you are interested I'd recommend this one
    . Throughout the history of intelligence testing there has been plenty of research into the area of what factors make up intelligence and as of 2009 there is considerable professional convergence on what these factors are. Again, rather than start arguing with me, I suggest you actually read up on the subject. If you read wikipedia you will see that the WAIS intelligence scale is equally balanced for both verbal and spatial intelligence.

aha! and how do we know they're equally important? That's my point. While you can put objective numbers on various types of intelligence, if you try and lump them all together in a single category the result is going to be a matter of opinion.

Is the ability to tell two sounds apart a factor in overall intelligence (some would argue it's a part of musical intelligence), what about the ability to tell two smells apart? is that equally important? obviously not! Does musical ability deserve to get the same weight as verbal ability? obviously not! If you're a retard at music who cares? if you can't understand sentences you're ****ed! Although, at higher levels it may work differently (e.g verbal intelligence is only way more imporatant up to a point, after which it's relative importance drops off to a lower level).

The entire field of genetics would tend to disagree with you there. Environment is important, but it won't work unless a natural gift is present.
    No, they'd agree with me. No-one is ever born a genius, enviroment is very important. Some people might be born with an advantage, but you have to work hard to develop a good talent, and especially with fluid intelligence the earlier you develop these skills the better they'll be (synaptic plasticity and all that).

I.Q tests do more harm than good? Are you for real? The reason I.Q tests were originally developed was to identify children that are in need of special education, indeed that is the predominant reason for their use today. Every year, hundreds of children can be accurately assessed as to whether they need special education and if so, what type, all thanks to I.Q tests.

You're right. I didn't think of that. I withdraw my statement. However, I still disagree with the use of IQ tests in problemless children. If you tell a child they're innately talented and part of an elite they'll develop a bad attitude and gravely underestimate those less overtly intelligent than themselves. If you tell a child the exact opposite it could be soul destroying. Especially in a family whose parents hark on about intelligence and grades all the time. You see where i'm coming from.

I still think that you can't put an objective number on intelligence. Also I still believe that unless they're actually born with some sort of retardation, most people could become a genius at something if they put in the time and developed the neccesary skills at an early enough age.

You can bet your ass the girl who joined mensa wasn't just playing patty-cake all these months (i would say years, but she's not onld enough for that :p)!

Well why isn't everyone with a genius IQ a millionaire or outstanding acedemic, when many with only slightly above average IQs are?

You said I.Q doesn't account for much in the real world, I asked you to back that up, you couldn't. I'm not going to let you switch the burden of proof onto me here. It's an intelligence test and who says that intelligence always predicts monetary or societal success? No one did, it's an incorrect presupposition of your argument.
    The picture completion isn't really what i was looking for. I meant someone's understanding of complex systems and their relationships to other systems. This would not be the same as analytical intelligence as it's not about processing power, it's about how well you understand and can manipulate things based on hours upon hours of carefull analysis. For example someone who has spent ages analysing the market trends in an efficient way might have developed such a good understanding that they can make themselves a millionaire with almost no effort.

I don't see how this is relevant? How does somebodies ability to work the market illuminate a flaw with intelligence testing?
    aha! and how do we know they're equally important? That's my point.

aha, equally important to what? You're not being very specific here. Let me explain why they are equally balanced. If an individual were to score below 60 on the verbal scale, this would imply mental retardation. Now, the non-verbal scale is there to account for bias in terms of language, cultural, and educational factors that would adversely affect the measure of verbal I.Q.

So if the comparison reveals that an individuals non-verbal score is 100 compared to the 60 for verbal, it is then unlikely that the person is mentally retarded. This is simplified but gets the point across. See, if you had even read up the slightest bit on this before throwing around your opinions you would know this.
    While you can put objective numbers on various types of intelligence, if you try and lump them all together in a single category the result is going to be a matter of opinion.

Again, your inchoate opinions of I.Q are leading you to completely ignore 100 years of scientific research and development into intelligence, what it is, and how to measure it. So it most definitely is not a matter of opinion. If you read my previous post about normative data you would see this. Now there are other accounts of intelligence, such as those proposed by Howard Gardner, but these don't offer us any viable means of assessment.
    No, they'd agree with me. No-one is ever born a genius, enviroment is very important. Some people might be born with an advantage, but you have to work hard to develop a good talent, and especially with fluid intelligence the earlier you develop these skills the better they'll be (synaptic plasticity and all that).

Somehow I find it hard to imagine a geneticist saying no one is ever born anything. Also, your point here is the same as mine. See previous post.
    However, I still think that you can't put an objective number on intelligence.

Well you're objectively wrong. It is possible to put an objective number on intelligence as it's defined psychometrically and it has been done, with great success I might add. Psychometrics is one of the most lucrative and successful applications of psychological theory ever.

Also, the bbc horizon documentary "Who Do you want your child to be" was the source for some of these ideas (oh wow, what a pleb. Getting his information from the bbc :rolleyes:).
    Professor Carol Dweck of Stanford University says that parents can often ruin their children’s chances by using just these three words: "You’re so clever".
    Carol has taught two groups of children in two different ways. One lot were praised for effort, giving what she calls a "growth mindset", but the other lot, praised more traditionally, developed a fixed mindset. The latter would focus their attention on whether *they* were right or wrong (ad hominem, says I), but not to find out what the right answer really was (ad subjectum). But children with the growth mindset would harness their own intelligence, and achieve higher grades.

Also, the bbc horizon documentary "Who Do you want your child to be" was the source for some of these ideas (oh wow, what a pleb. Getting his information from the bbc :rolleyes:).

Nothing wrong with that, I always watch the BBC. Look, I've studied psychometrics in some detail and so I know a bit about it. You have some ideas about how you think it's wrong etc I was just pointing out your misconceptions.

You said I.Q doesn't account for much in the real world, I asked you to back that up, you couldn't. I'm not going to let you switch the burden of proof onto me here. It's an intelligence test and who says that intelligence always predicts monetary or societal success? No one did, it's an incorrect presupposition of your argument.

That's what i meant by accounting for in the real world, and everyone else knows that's what i meant. If IQ really was such a great indicator of intellectual ability, then everyone great would have a genius IQ and anyone with a genius IQ would be great.

I don't see how this is relevant? How does somebodies ability to work the market illuminate a flaw with intelligence testing?

I don't think such an exceptional understanding is accounted for in IQ tests, and i personally think such an exceptional ability would most definitely count as intelligence, as i'm sure most people would agree.

aha, equally important to what? You're not being very specific here. Let me explain why they are equally balanced. If an individual were to score below 60 on the verbal scale, this would imply mental retardation. Now, the non-verbal scale is there to account for bias in terms of language, cultural, and educational factors that would adversely affect the measure of verbal I.Q.

So if the comparison reveals that an individuals non-verbal score is 100 compared to the 60 for verbal, it is then unlikely that the person is mentally retarded. This is simplified but gets the point across. See, if you had even read up the slightest bit on this before throwing around your opinions you would know this.

You're completely ignoring the point i'm making (as you kinda did with the points above). 60 + 100 (i'm going to humour you and pretend (for arguments sake) that there's only two types of intelligence). How much weight do you put on each score when making the total score for I.Q to let someone know if they're in the top 5%?

Whichever way you do it, people would dissagree and say that the one you attatched the greater weight to isn't as important as you made it out to be. If you give them an equal weight when adding up this number for "total intelligence" (which is what i have a problem with), then people would disagree because they think one is clearly more important than the other.

Well you're objectively wrong. It is possible to put an objective number on intelligence as it's defined psychometrically and it has been done, with great success I might add. Psychometrics is one of the most lucrative and successful applications of psychological theory ever.

I answered this already. It's quite simple really. My problem is with putting a figure on "total intelligence" (as who gets to decide how important each type of intelligence is?), not so much with psychometrics in general ( i can see it's use at the lower end of the scale when people actually have problems).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

That's what i meant by accounting for in the real world, and everyone else knows that's what i meant. If IQ really was such a great indicator of intellectual ability, then everyone great would have a genius IQ and anyone with a genius IQ would be great.
    You would expect most basketball players to be tall, but you wouldn't expect all tall people to be good at basketball.
    You're completely ignoring the point i'm making (as you kinda did with the points above). 60 + 100 (i'm going to humour you and pretend (for arguments sake) that there's only two types of intelligence). How much weight do you put on each score when making the total score for I.Q to let someone know if they're in the top 5%?

Whichever way you do it, people would dissagree and say that the one you attatched the greater weight to isn't as important as you made it out to be. If you give them an equal weight when adding up this number for "total intelligence" (which is what i have a problem with), then people would disagree because they think one is clearly more important than the other.
    So what you're saying is that IQ testing is never perfect, therefore it is useless?

994 wrote: »
    You would expect most basketball players to be tall, but you wouldn't expect all tall people to be good at basketball.
    yeah, but if most (and even some of the best) basketball players were only like 6'2'' (reasonably tall) as opposed to 7'5'' (insanely tall), you'd conclude that a lot more than tallness goes into making a pro basketball player.
    So what you're saying is that IQ testing is never perfect, therefore it is useless?

I don't disagree with the various tests, just the grouping of them together into a single intelligence quotient. I can see how these tests are useful for children with disabilities, and how someone could use them to find out their weaknesses so they can work on them.

But as a means to serve as a bragging tool for some nerd, allowing him to be categorised as "gifted" (the difference beteen being in the top 5% and being in the top 6% is probably tiny, it's not like you suddenly become "not gifted" if you are in the top 5.1%), and as an ego destroyer for his little brother (the sibling effect on IQ is well documented)....well, i just think they shouldn't be use in that way. I think we should encourage all kids and let their talents and accomplishments decide their giftedness, not the result of some standerdised test forced on them by their parents.

Greatness is not part of the psychometric package. It's not a valid criticism as no decent intelligence test has ever claimed to measure greatness. It's measuring intelligence. You're mistakenly assuming intellectual ability necessitates greatness, which it doesn't.
    I don't think such an exceptional understanding is accounted for in IQ tests, and i personally think such an exceptional ability would most definitely count as intelligence, as i'm sure most people would agree.

The core of this problem is that you don't understand the concept of intelligence from a psychometric perspective (i.e. measuring it). Intelligence refers to a persons general potential to solve problems, adapt to changing circumstances, think abstractly and to learn from experience. By your logic, anyone with a decent skill in some area should be considered "intelligent" and if we look at the infinite number of skills people can have and if we try to include these in our definition of intelligence, then it renders the concept so flexible as to be almost meaningless.
    You're completely ignoring the point i'm making (as you kinda did with the points above)

For goodness sake, did you even read my post? Seriously.
    (i'm going to humour you and pretend (for arguments sake) that there's only two types of intelligence). How much weight do you put on each score when making the total score for I.Q to let someone know if they're in the top 5%?

Again, you misunderstand. I didn't say there were only two types of intelligence. I only said that the WAIS III was balanced for verbal and non-verbal intelligence and I explained why.

Ok, who are these people you keep referring to? You're continually arguing ad populum and it's getting annoying.

I'm getting tired trying to explain the finer points of intelligence testing to you as it's obvious you aren't willing to admit your ignorance of the subject. From this point onwards you're going to have to back up these points with something other than opinion. I've provided links to texts on the subject and to wikipedia articles which provide nice summaries of the things I'm talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

5318008!,

You've said that IQ tests should not be used for children that don't have problems. With the exception of a small number of people (who attend because mummy and daddy wanted to brag), you'll find that many of those who actually go to CTYI do have problems in class.

Speaking from my own experience and not as an outsider looking in, being ahead of your class IS a problem.

Why? Well picture this, you're sitting in a classroom, doing something basic. The same something you grasped the first time it was explained. This is the seventh time you're sitting through an explaination of it, because it's a "tricky" concept and those who tend to be average at schoolwork are finding it difficult. You're not, you're bored, you switch off and miss something important and end up falling behind.

That's not a problem? How about when the person is bored and they start messing and disrupting the class? Is it a problem then? How about when they skip school because it's a waste of their time (they never learn anything new ANYWAY)?

Being at one extreme or another of anything tends to bring problems. The type of person at the higher extreme of ability to comprehend and assimilate new information scale will have problems, just like the person at the lower extreme of the same scale.

So why is it that you begrudge so called "gifted" children a chance to be in the normal range of a class? To learn at their pace, without being hindered by the fact that something needs CONSTANT repetition for the rest of the class to get it.

You even said yourself, bright young people should be encouraged to learn independantly. This is what CTYI gives them. It creates an environment where they can learn amongst their peers. The difference being that it's set at their pace. Why not let every child that wants to learn in? Well, then you'll have a more usual distribution of learning ability and the more able students will, as usual, be left adrift. (just so you know, "gifted" kids stick out like sore thumbs a lot of the time. I was 13 and an avid reader of political essays. When I first attended CTYI I found, for the first time in my life, kids my own age, with similar interests. For the first time, I could interact with them on that level. My first comment to my mum was "I can talk to these people!")

By the way, sport is an important part of life, too. I was a very talented (FAST) swimmer. I went to a club. I trained with people of my own ability. I competed against those of my own level. The club also had lanes for those who were slower (generally new to club swimming). However, you couldn't just rock up and decide you wanted to learn to swim with them. They hand picked people from swimming lessons who showed good potential.

Are you saying that for the sake of fairness, and because there are, in your opinion, no "naturally better swimmers", anyone and everyone should have been allowed train with whichever group they wanted? If that happened, the slow would struggle and the fast wouldn't achieve their potential. Same thing with "intelligence". But somehow, I reckon your societal communism is limited to ensuring that kids who are more able in school - can't succeed.

You also asked why these High IQ people aren't all hugely successful. Here's a suggestion - being hindered all through their education....

edit: just thought I might mention. You were talking about how they should go off and learn an instrument. Go to CTYI at some stage and sit in on one of their talent shows. Talk to the kids and you'll probably encounter a load of them that have taught themselves computer programming, a foreign language, instruments, web design and so on. BUT THEY"RE STILL HUNGRY FOR MORE!!!!! Are you saying they should be limited to a certain amount of extra knowledge, lest they get too much information?

You're mistakenly assuming intellectual ability necessitates greatness, which it doesn't.

I would consider someone who achieves intellectual greatness to have superior intellectual abilities.

By your logic, anyone with a decent intellectual skill in some area should be considered "intelligent" and if we look at the infinite number of skills people can have and if we try to include these in our definition of intelligence, then it renders the concept so flexible as to be almost meaningless.

Exactly ( i added in one word, hope you don't mind), and i'm pretty sure that's what the general public mean by intelligence, even though depending on who you ask it might not be the technical definition.
    From wikipedia: There are several ways to define intelligence. In some cases, intelligence may include traits such as creativity, personality, character, knowledge, or wisdom. However, most psychologists prefer not to include these traits in the definition of intelligence

Someone could have amazing creativity, knowledge and wisdom and be considered the greatest genius of our time, while still falling outside your definition of intelligent. I however (along with what i suspect to be most of the general public) would consider them to possess great intelligence.
    (hope you like the link, is it patronising enough for ya?)

Again, you misunderstand. I didn't say there were only two types of intelligence. I only said that the WAIS III was balanced for verbal and non-verbal intelligence and I explained why.

There was an error in communication. We'll go again; Let's pretend there's only two types of intelligence. a person scores 60 and 100. What should their overall intelligence quotient be given as? Different people will see them as having a different importances. So while the individual tests may be objective and accurate, the overall IQ given will be a subjective opinion.

[Ok, who are these people you keep referring to? You're continually arguing ad populum and it's getting annoying.[/quote] :rolleyes::D:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Just hypothetical people. Test designers i suppose.

Where did i argue ad populum? i said "everyone knows that's what i meant", but that wasn't making any argument, that was just expressing my frustration that you kept misinterpreting what i was saying. (ps, you know an argument is going downhill when one person links to a wikipedia page involving a type of faulty debating technique). It needn't be so. An end is in sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭6stringmaniac

I paid for their application/iq test and got a 148 :)
    Once they mentioned yearly fees I came out with a combination of four letter words

I would consider someone who achieves intellectual greatness to have superior intellectual abilities.

That doesn't answer or refute my point in any way. Define intellectual greatness please. Again with the vague, twisting, continually changing argument. Make your mind up and define your terms. I have.
    Someone could have amazing creativity, knowledge and wisdom and be considered the greatest genius of our time, while still falling outside your definition of intelligent. I however (along with what i suspect to be most of the general public)

You keep backing up your points by saying, "the general public agrees" and "most people", this is a fallacious form of argumentation.
    There was an error in communication. We'll go again; Let's pretend there's only two types of intelligence. a person scores 60 and 100. What should their overall intelligence quotient be given as? Different people will see them as having a different importances. So while the individual tests may be objective and accurate, the overall IQ given will be a subjective opinion.

That's it, make up a pretend, fallacious situation in order to support your already debunked point. Different people? Who? Provide evidence to back these points up please.

No, it is not a subjective opinion. Would you please for the love of god, read my posts and try and refute the individual points I'm making. Mutating your argument to get the last word in is very tiresome and thankfully, is illuminating how ill informed you are about this subject.
    Just hypothetical people. Test designers i suppose.

Test designers? Have you read the manual for the WAIS? Have you read the Mental Measurements Yearbooks reviews of the Stanford Binet? No. Then don't refer to what you think the test designers opinion is.
    Where did i argue ad populum?

you know an argument is going downhill when one person links to a wikipedia page involving a type of faulty debating technique)

This is why an end is not in sight. You are arguing from ignorance
    the speaker considers or asserts that something is false, implausible, or not obvious to them personally and attempts to use this gap in knowledge as "evidence" in favor of an alternative view of his or her choice

Arguing ad populum to support your points and your most distinctive tactic, arguing ad nauseum

You have consistently glossed over my corrections, ignored them and altered your point slightly to evade any criticism, and most importantly, you are blatantly contradicting the scientific evidence supporting the field of psychometrics. So until you actually formulate a logical critique of my argument with some half-decent references that don't break the 3 most basic rules of informal argumentation, then I have nothing more to say to you. Just look how your entire position has changed from your first post.

After Hours has actually made me lose a small part of my faith in humanity. It's just too darn funny, I can't stay away.

5318008!,

You've said that IQ tests should not be used for children that don't have problems. With the exception of a small number of people (who attend because mummy and daddy wanted to brag), you'll find that many of those who actually go to CTYI do have problems in class.
    Sorry to butt in, but I actually know loads of people who went to ctyi. One of whom is a bit strange and pedantic, the rest of whom are completely normal, and never complained of problems in school ( and of those in my school i never noticed any problems). I wouldn't consider not being popular a proper problem tbh.
    Speaking from my own experience and not as an outsider looking in, being ahead of your class IS a problem.

Why? Well picture this, you're sitting in a classroom, doing something basic. The same something you grasped the first time it was explained. This is the seventh time you're sitting through an explaination of it, because it's a "tricky" concept and those who tend to be average at schoolwork are finding it difficult. You're not, you're bored, you switch off and miss something important and end up falling behind.

That's not a problem? How about when the person is bored and they start messing and disrupting the class? Is it a problem then? .

How about when they skip school because it's a waste of their time (they never learn anything new ANYWAY)?

Being at one extreme or another of anything tends to bring problems. The type of person at the higher extreme of ability to comprehend and assimilate new information scale will have problems, just like the person at the lower extreme of the same scale.

So why is it that you begrudge so called "gifted" children a chance to be in the normal range of a class? To learn at their pace, without being hindered by the fact that something needs CONSTANT repetition for the rest of the class to get it.

You even said yourself, bright young people should be encouraged to learn independantly. This is what CTYI gives them. It creates an environment where they can learn amongst their peers. The difference being that it's set at their pace. Why not let every child that wants to learn in? Well, then you'll have a more usual distribution of learning ability and the more able students will, as usual, be left adrift. (just so you know, "gifted" kids stick out like sore thumbs a lot of the time. I was 13 and an avid reader of political essays. When I first attended CTYI I found, for the first time in my life, kids my own age, with similar interests. For the first time, I could interact with them on that level. My first comment to my mum was "I can talk to these people!")

By the way, sport is an important part of life, too. I was a very talented (FAST) swimmer. I went to a club. I trained with people of my own ability. I competed against those of my own level. The club also had lanes for those who were slower (generally new to club swimming). However, you couldn't just rock up and decide you wanted to learn to swim with them. They hand picked people from swimming lessons who showed good potential.

Are you saying that for the sake of fairness, and because there are, in your opinion, no "naturally better swimmers", anyone and everyone should have been allowed train with whichever group they wanted? If that happened, the slow would struggle and the fast wouldn't achieve their potential. Same thing with "intelligence". But somehow, I reckon your societal communism is limited to ensuring that kids who are more able in school - can't succeed.

You also asked why these High IQ people aren't all hugely successful. Here's a suggestion - being hindered all through their education....

I agree, the education system needs changing.

Here's what i think; people should be asked how good they are at swimming.If they're capable of moving up a group, advise them to do so. If they're clearly out of their depth (pardon the pun) and being lapped ect, then a simple suggestion that they might be better off in a lower group would suffice.

I did swimming as a child, and this is how it was arranged. They didn't do a bleep test and tell you to **** off if you didn't score high enough.If you were struggling in the first lane there was a whole class below us and you'd probably be reccomended to go there.

They could easily arrange it so there's different levels available. People would know whether they should go to basic, intermediate or advanced computer programming/ electronics ect. You'd still get to meet all the same people and get the same intellectual discussions, but no-one's ego gets over-inflated and no willing learners get left out.

My main point is you wouldn't be told; "you're here because you're innately gifted. Here you can hang out with other innately gifted people. Together you are the intellectual elite. You are the future of ireland ect... ". Instead you'd be told "You're here because you have an interest in X and because you want to develop it. You're in the advanced class because you've developed quite a talent/ are quite knowledgeable about X.Keep up the good work and you could make something great of yourself some day".
    edit: just thought I might mention. You were talking about how they should go off and learn an instrument. Go to CTYI at some stage and sit in on one of their talent shows. Talk to the kids and you'll probably encounter a load of them that have taught themselves computer programming, a foreign language, instruments, web design and so on. BUT THEY"RE STILL HUNGRY FOR MORE!!!!! Are you saying they should be limited to a certain amount of extra knowledge, lest they get too much information?

Of course not. What i will say is that singling out certain children as innately gifted can cause problems. In a previous post i quoted a leading psychologist saying something to the same effect. I've personally seen how going there can give some people a massive ego boost and a bad attitude.These people then go about their lives seriously undestimating the abilities of pretty much everyone who doesn't make an effort to come across as an intellectual.

Note i said "some people". One of the people with whom i like discussing things the most and whose input i value the most is an ex-ctyi head. I'm not begrudging anyone. I just think there's a better way.

I don't think willing learners like yourself would get harmed in any way by my solution. Do you?

That doesn't answer or refute my point in any way. Define intellectual greatness please. Again with the vague, twisting, continually changing argument. Make your mind up and define your terms. I have.
    Use your common sense. For example, someone who wins a nobel prize for an important discovery.
    You keep backing up your points by saying, "the general public agrees" and "most people", this is a fallacious form of argumentation.

WRONG!

I mentioned that most of the general public would have the same definition of inteligence as me. I wasn't saying that this therefore makes me right and you wrong. In this case our differing definitons makes neither of us right or wrong (jesus, i thought you'd just accept that we have different definitions of intelligence and move on).

That's it, make up a pretend, fallacious situation in order to support your already debunked point. Different people? Who? Provide evidence to back these points up please.

I've been trying to make the same common sense argument all along.I really shouldn't have to provide any evidence.
    But here ya go;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_intelligence#Background
    Determining whether men and women differ in average IQ has been difficult. It is easy to design an IQ test in which either males or females score higher on average, by selecting different tests or giving them different weights, so the question boils down to which weights the different tests should have for the g factor. For example, when the Stanford-Binet test was revised in the 1940s, preliminary tests yielded a slightly higher average IQ for women, a discrepancy attributed to a greater than usual emphasis on verbal ability. The test was subsequently adjusted to give identical averages for men and women

Clearly someone attatches differing weights to each aspect of intelligence. How much weight each aspect of intelligence should get is a subjective opinion. Therefore an overall Intelligence Quotient can only be subjective.

If you cannot follow this logic then sorry, all hope is lost.
    No, it is not a subjective opinion. Would you please for the love of god, read my posts and try and refute the individual points I'm making. Mutating your argument to get the last word in is very tiresome and thankfully, is illuminating how ill informed you are about this subject.

Test designers? Have you read the manual for the WAIS? Have you read the Mental Measurements Yearbooks reviews of the Stanford Binet? No. Then don't refer to what you think the test designers opinion is.

Read above.

This is why an end is not in sight. You are arguing from ignorance

Arguing ad populum to support your points and your most distinctive tactic, arguing ad nauseum

You have consistently glossed over my corrections, ignored them and altered your point slightly to evade any criticism, and most importantly, you are blatantly contradicting the scientific evidence supporting the field of psychometrics. So until you actually formulate a logical critique of my argument with some half-decent references that don't break the 3 most basic rules of informal argumentation, then I have nothing more to say to you. Just look how your entire position has changed from your first post.

I'm trying to have a reasonable argument here. You seem to think that just because you have studied in this area you can throw your weight around and just assume you are always right. I'm getting the feeling that your constant misinterpretation and avoidance of my questions was deliberate. My position has not changed much. I admit that I had overlooked the use of such tests in those with learnign disabilities, but besides that i stand by all my original points. Maybe i shouldn't have admitted this. I thought it could have helped us have a reasoned discussion without our egos getting in the way (you can't be right 100% of the time). Obviously you saw it as a weakness and just kept vomiting onto this thread assuming you'd win. So now;

I've given you a link. Forget everything else and just Answer my point!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sorry to butt in, but I actually know loads of people who went to ctyi. One of whom is a bit strange and pedantic, the rest of whom are completely normal, and never complained of problems in school ( and of those in my school i never noticed any problems). I wouldn't consider not being popular a proper problem tbh.

One should never assume that no problems exist just because one does not perceive those problems among their peers. It's quite likely that most of the people you know have gone through serious issues in their personal/family lives without you ever knowing a thing. And, while you may not consider "not being popular being a proper problem", for some children, and indeed grown adults, loneliness is the greatest problem in the world.

They could easily arrange it so there's different levels available. People would know whether they should go to basic, intermediate or advanced computer programming/ electronics ect. You'd still get to meet all the same people and get the same intellectual discussions, but no-one's ego gets over-inflated and no willing learners get left out.
    Of course not. What i will say is that singling out certain children as innately gifted can cause problems. In a previous post i quoted a leading psychologist saying something to the same effect. I've personally seen how going there can give some people a massive ego boost and a bad attitude.These people then go about their lives seriously undestimating the abilities of pretty much everyone who doesn't make an effort to come across as an intellectual.

So, to put it simply, your entire argument against I.Q. testing and MENSA-type organisations is based on the possibility that some children might develop characteristics that may be interpreted as egocentric or "bad attitude". You also refer to the work of one particular "leading psychologist" to back this up. May I ask, can you remember if your opinions on this matter were in any way different before you watched the BBC documentary? It seems that your whole reasoning process is based on limited and biased personal experience, in combination with a solitary example of how one psychologist suggested poor motivational practices can adversely affect children. Your posts would suggest that you find it difficult to avoid tarring a sizable minority of our population with the same brush. I find it bizarre that you can see the need to encourage people to learn in certain contexts, but not if said people are already ahead of the average.

You have also gone to great lengths to extract an exact, objective definition of the word "intelligence". I find it wonderfully ironic that your subjective judgement of intelligent children as "arrogant" is beyond such scrutiny. You seek a generic measurement based on a hypothetical pair of intelligences and their weights, and yet you continue to impose your personal judgement against clever people without any valid support. Curious. How does one define "bad attitude"? Or is this "bad attitude" even a permanent personality trait, or just your bad luck of having the odd unpleasant experience with another human being? Are all averagely intelligent people exempt from having bad attitudes because they are not intellectualy gifted?
    Note i said "some people". One of the people with whom i like discussing things the most and whose input i value the most is an ex-ctyi head. I'm not begrudging anyone. I just think there's a better way.

Using the phrase "some people" at this stage is a bit of a cop-out. Have you ever heard the old joke about how one day a racist is accosted for something he says, but defends it by saying that it's ok because some of his friends are black? It may just be an unlucky coincidence, but this post really reminds me of that same style of defence.

I'm trying to have a reasonable argument here. You seem to think that just because you have studied in this area you can throw your weight around and just assume you are always right. I'm getting the feeling that your constant misinterpretation and avoidance of my questions was deliberate. My position has not changed much. I admit that I had overlooked the use of such tests in those with learnign disabilities, but besides that i stand by all my original points. Maybe i shouldn't have admitted this. I thought it could have helped us have a reasoned discussion without our egos getting in the way (you can't be right 100% of the time).

If Valmont had posted the points in bold font I would have had sympathy for him, but for you to cry "misinterpretation and avoidance" of questions is ridiculous: you have been doing exactly that yourself.
    Obviously you saw it as a weakness and just kept vomiting onto this thread assuming you'd win. So now;

I've given you a link. Forget everything else and just Answer my point!

Sorry to be pedantic, but one answers questions, not points. Forgetting everything else would involve pretending that all the reasoned evidence against your argument had not been brought to light: you are trying to win a personal battle by blatantly ignoring the great weight of evidence that is stacked against you. Also, I find it rude and offensive that you compared another poster's actions to "vomitting".

• Advertisement

So, to put it simply, your entire argument against I.Q. testing and MENSA-type organisations is based on the possibility that some children might develop characteristics that may be interpreted as egocentric or "bad attitude".
    nope. I made several other arguments.Read my posts. There's also the effect on children who score lowly.
    You also refer to the work of one particular "leading psychologist" to back this up. May I ask, can you remember if your opinions on this matter were in any way different before you watched the BBC documentary?
    Nope, I remeber watching a documentary (natgeo) on children's mental development and reading the new scientist article i linked to. Also i saw some documentary on channel 4 about gifted children. I have read in several places about synaptic plasticity and how the younger you are the more plastic your brain is and how it gets harder and harder to increase your fluid intelligence as you progress into adulthood. IMO all this information (and my personal experience) fits in together nicely.
    Your posts would suggest that you find it difficult to avoid tarring a sizable minority of our population with the same brush. I find it bizarre that you can see the need to encourage people to learn in certain contexts, but not if said people are already ahead of the average.

I never said or implied anything of that manner!!! Stop putting words in my mouth. Read my original posts.
    You have also gone to great lengths to extract an exact, objective definition of the word "intelligence". I find it wonderfully ironic that your subjective judgement of intelligent children as "arrogant" is beyond such scrutiny. You seek a generic measurement based on a hypothetical pair of intelligences and their weights, and yet you continue to impose your personal judgement against clever people without any valid support.
    Actually i was trying to expose the flaws in a measurement for intelligence.I clearly said that children should be judged on their talents and accomplishments and not a score in a standardised test.

Curious. How does one define "bad attitude"? Or is this "bad attitude" even a permanent personality trait, or just your bad luck of having the odd unpleasant experience with another human being? Are all averagely intelligent people exempt from having bad attitudes because they are not intellectualy gifted?
    :rolleyes:

I never said clever children were arrogant. And i never passed any judgement against clever people (I would hopefully consider myself a clever person :eek:). Why do you keep claiming i said stuff i didn't? Are you actually trying to wind me up or something???

Unless someone has an actual learning disability i believe that if they put in the right work early on anyone can become gifted. I also believe that telling children they're inherantly special (rather than them just having more developed talents) might not be the best way to foster a good work ethic and a healthy attitude. I don't see what's so controversial or shocking about that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement