Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All knowing car Gurus, going car shopping this weekend please help me choose.

• 30-04-2009 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am going car shopping this weekend and need some advice.
    I have 7K to spend plus a trade in of a 01 Seat Leon 55K (valued at 2K by calling garages)

I am looking to by a mid size saloon which will get high MPG a Diesel and be V reliable with less than 60K on the clock.
    So far I have narrowed it down to
    1 Mondeo
    2 Avensis
    3 Octavia
    4 Vectra (not sure what they are like)

The car I have my eye on is
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mondeo/2.0-TDCI/200902191413042/advert
    Do you think I could reasonably expect to get it for 6.5K plus trade in.
    Looked up north as well but can't see the point with VRT

Any help boys and girls would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's a good price considering the year and mileage, and probably the best example on Carzone. €500 off it might be possible, seems like a high spec model (Zetec?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Confab wrote: »
    It's a good price considering the year and mileage, and probably the best example on Carzone. €500 off it might be possible, seems like a high spec model (Zetec?).

Mid range model. That model went LX - Zetec - Ghia - Platinum.

The zetec model from Ford has always(in Mondeo's case) been a good spec for its money.

On the Northern thing. VRT is only an obstacle but the benefits of buying from the UK are much higher than battling a deal here. You get a higher spec.

Exampe the Zetec Mondeo in the UK would have cruise control and a multi function steering wheel whereas the Irish(Paddy Spec) would not.

I was perusing the details of a 06 BMW 320CI for €14,995 in South Tipperary on yesterday. Imported from the UK. The deals are there to be had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Hi Berty,
    Thing is with a trade in its quite tough to find anything in the north. If push came to shove I could hold to Seat Leon and do a cash deal for around 9k.

We have a second car 96 almera which we could get rid of and keep the leon as the second car.

For a cash price how much would you say I could get this for
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mondeo/2.0-TDCi/200915192406661/advert

Also this is defo in my price range its the Steel spec which I was told is the lx model should have 115bhp what do you think?
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mondeo/Steel/200917192601954/advert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

That one you've your eye on looks a fairly good deal with the 130 engine adn multi function wheel.

Realistically. It's a Mondeo, does what it says on the tin and will pull along fairly well with that engine. Go for it.

Keep the Leon and drop the Almera. Safety came a long way in those 5 years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

+ 1 on the mondeo. The best car in its class at the time.

I'm thinking same do you think I'd get it for 8K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Psygnosis wrote: »
    I'm thinking same do you think I'd get it for 8K

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mondeo/2.0-TDCi/200915192406661/advert - this one for 8k?

I'd say 10k minimum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

draffodx wrote: »
    I think the 8k quote was about the 130 Zetec one, the Platnium one would be lovely though, don't forget to remind em the new model came out in 07 and try knock a few more quids off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    I think the 8k quote was about the 130 Zetec one, the Platnium one would be lovely though, don't forget to remind em the new model came out in 07 and try knock a few more quids off!

Thanks for pointing that out! knocking off 900 hundred would be handy enough especially if your going for a straight sale

• Advertisement

Thanks for that guys
    How about any other models or would I be better sticking with the Mondeo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Can't quite make out the reg in the first pic, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was a swimmer - I don't think Ireland got the option of the 130ps engine in the Zetec spec.

LX - 90 & 115
    Zetec - 115
    Ghia/Exec - 130
    ST220 - 155

Might have changed towards the end of the run though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would avoid the Steel model, it replaced the LX as the base model in the Mondeo range in 2006. Minimum spec you should be looking at is Zetec/Platinum or Ghia.

The first Mondeo link looks clean but it is a UK import so make sure to do the usual HPI checks on it, etc. Also don't focus on the sticker price of the car, with a trade-in those prices have very little relevance. The price you need to focus on is the cost to trade up price. And you need to compare against similar year, spec cars from different garages to see where you are getting the best deal.

Ok guys so went to see the 07 Mondeo today and got it for 8.5K with my Seat as a trade in. Needless to day I'm a very happy camper. The car is spotless one thing though in the ad he got the miles and k/m's mixed up it hass 44K miles on the clock. Still though I was happy to do the deal as the Leon was starting to cost money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ok guys so went to see the 07 Mondeo today and got it for 8.5K with my Seat as a trade in. Needless to day I'm a very happy camper. The car is spotless one thing though in the ad he got the miles and k/m's mixed up it hass 44K miles on the clock. Still though I was happy to do the deal as the Leon was starting to cost money.

Sounds like a good deal. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Good buy, enjoy all those lovely extras!

Advertisement