Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English vs Arts Omnibus

Options
  • 30-04-2009 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in doing English at UCD, and was wondering if anyone could tell me about the differences/pro's and con's of doing it within arts or separately? Thank you...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

I do English within Arts(1st year - 20 credits), probably a fair bit different to what you'd be doing if you solely do English, but I detest the subject. Only picked it as I was told by many I was good at it, by my god it grinds my balls!

Too many books, too many readings, too many essays/projects! Thats just me though, if ya genuinely like it however, it might suit ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Arts omnibus will just mean you'd be doing less English, but along with other subjects. English on its own right just means doing a lot more of it really, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

I have just finished doing english as a joint major through arts and I would highly recomend you do it through this route. If you wish to do it as a single subject major, you can select this option after first year of the arts omnibus course, so its a win-win really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I have just finished doing english as a joint major through arts and I would highly recomend you do it through this route. If you wish to do it as a single subject major, you can select this option after first year of the arts omnibus course, so its a win-win really.

Be aware there are limited places if you go this route.

If you do it as part of a joint major in arts you'll be doing 25 credits per year (that's 5 classes), you can select an addiotional 2 through Horizons but it wont really matter to your degree.

If you do it by itself you'll be doing 50 credits per year (that's 10 classes) and by the end of your third year you will (I think) have to do a dissertation, you have the option of picking this module if you do it through arts if you want too (I think it's 10 credits, 2 modules).

Doing it as it's own subject is a lot of work so be weary, there is a lot more reading and more core subjects that you can't pick such as one based solely on the dictionary so not everything appeal. If you do it as part of a joint major though you have some of the same core courses but have your pick from all the other modules to make up your optional module. You get 1 in 3rd year and I think we got 2/3 in 2nd year but I can't really remember.

At the end of the day though it doesn't really matter if you want to continue on with further study as a good grade in either (2.1 or above) should give you a good chance at whatever postgrad it is you want do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Thanks for the info everyone, sounds like doing English as a major within Arts makes more sense.

Can anyone tell me about linguistics as a minor subject in Arts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

If you do it through arts its going to be the same thing in first year as there is only 20 credits for it and even if your doing single english its the same, its only in 2nd year that it matters as your guranteed a place on the single course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

SRFC90 wrote: »

Too many books, too many readings, too many essays/projects! Thats just me though, if ya genuinely like it however, it might suit ya.

i know, that fook i picked another subject within the first week

If you do it through arts its going to be the same thing in first year as there is only 20 credits for it and even if your doing single english its the same, its only in 2nd year that it matters as your guranteed a place on the single course
    Aw dayum...does that mean that if I do English through Arts I'm not guaranteed a place in English for the three years?

You will be if you decide to select it. You have a choice between doing 3 majors in 1st year and picking which 2 you like the most in second year or doing 2 majors and a minor/4 electives. You can keep on 2 majors into second year no problem or you can specialize in one major if you want but you may not be guaranteed the place.

I see...is there anyway to guarantee it or is it just don't to pot luck/numbers?

• Advertisement

It's to go on your grades so just work hard. Though I guess if you get the points originally for it in the CAO that may stand to some advantage. I wouldn't really know though as I never tried it.

Ahh I see. I'll work very hard in English so! Thank you :)

Advertisement