Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dvd with usb input

• 30-04-2009 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭

I'm looking for a dvd player for the kids bedroom, most of their stuff is on harddrive and lots of dvd discs. Coming up Thursday 7th in Lidl they have one that is HDMI DVD with USB for 44.99. Does anyone know if it will play Divx? says on the sheet that it does mpeg4?
    Even if somebody knows of a better deal, I'd be very greatfull.

Regards, Casper.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

thats sounds like a pretty good deal. I'm sure if it you find out when u try it at home that it doesn't play divx they will let u bring it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 ImFeelingLucky

I'm looking for a dvd player for the kids bedroom, most of their stuff is on harddrive and lots of dvd discs. Coming up Thursday 7th in Lidl they have one that is HDMI DVD with USB for 44.99. Does anyone know if it will play Divx? says on the sheet that it does mpeg4?

Regards, Casper.

Hey, i bought one of thses a few months back. It plays pretty much everything BUT, it takes ages for the files to load on the harddrive.....a seriously issue for me, so I took it back, and as always no problem with Lidl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭caspermccormack

Hey, i bought one of thses a few months back. It plays pretty much everything BUT, it takes ages for the files to load on the harddrive.....a seriously issue for me, so I took it back, and as always no problem with Lidl

So did you buy another brand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 ImFeelingLucky

So did you buy another brand?
    Went for something like this in the end link . Not sure if it would suit yourself as its not a dvd player. But id say try out the lidl one for yourself, and if it isnt up to the job bring it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I bought one and held onto it, I find it perfect for playing tv shows 24 lost etc, but if you try and play something with action graphics it lags behind in sound. but you can go into the menu and back out for it to re sync so I can live with it as I watch most good movies from the Xbox via usb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

Regards, Casper.

I picked up a generic one last week in a place called "Space" in Prosperous Co Kildare. Only E29.99. Plays Divx, avi's and some xvid's. Went back yesterday to pick one up for a mate, loads left in stock. Got it for the exact same reason, drop a few files into a 2gig stick and voila!
    Its not HDMI though, has Digital Audio output.
    (Thought I could just rig external hard drive up to it but no dice. seems the Philips one with usb is the only one out there that can handle that, I'm open to correction tho.)
    It's a Lenco 320 if you want to check it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭caspermccormack

Haven't decided what to go for yet, was looking at a WD media player for €90 lids, but doesn't play discs.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Regards, Casper.

I have an earlier version of the silvercrest, no HDMI, but it does DivX either off a disk, or USB stick, or SD card.

A bit slow to load, but otherwise grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Snaggerman wrote: »
    I picked up a generic one last week in a place called "Space" in Prosperous Co Kildare. Only E29.99. Plays Divx, avi's and some xvid's. Went back yesterday to pick one up for a mate, loads left in stock. Got it for the exact same reason, drop a few files into a 2gig stick and voila!
    Its not HDMI though, has Digital Audio output.
    (Thought I could just rig external hard drive up to it but no dice. seems the Philips one with usb is the only one out there that can handle that, I'm open to correction tho.)
    It's a Lenco 320 if you want to check it out

:eek: My God. Prosperous showing up in Bargain Alerts... now I've seen everything. Been looking for one of these myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭smidgy

Just my tupence.

I have the LIDL player with the HDMI output. Its a great device - plays almost everything.

It plays all the CORSAIR usb sticks that I have thrown at it - including some of the mini usb sticks. The 4 GB stick loads in good time (10 seconds)

I also have a 250 GB Western digital drive which loads in about 2 minutes. (This is directly powered form the USB slot on the device) During loading of the HDD you need to press the up arrow on the reomte every 30 seconds or else the disk wont load. You press the Up arrow and the device says something like 'That operation is not available at this time'. After two minutes the File structure on the HDD will appear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

All 250GB of it? :eek:

I bought one of these a year or two back and when it wouldn't load the contents of my 320GB 2.5" drive I assumed it was a capacity problem, or one of NTFS/FAT32 capability, so I ended up partitioning the HDD into 3 x 100GB partitions — and the player would only read one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭beaniebarbeque

Spotted this in Tesco Castlebar at the weekend. Claims to play DIVX. Not a bad price for a DVD player with USB input.

Otherwise, the Western Digital Media Player is a great bet. Of course, you need to rip your DVDs and it doesn't run on batteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭foggers

Yeah, them DVD players from Lidl are a bit hit and miss as regards hooking up external drives. The literature says that it is only compatible with 1GB USB drives. Not always the case though. Have tried several USB keys of various sizes and some work and some don't. Also tried a few different external hard drives ranging from 40GB to 160GB. Again some worked and some didn't and as a previos posted mentioned, it wasn't always dependent on the file system on the HDD(FAT32/NTFS). Usually better to make it FAT32 with these things anyway. Would agree with a previous poster about the Western digital media player. I got one from here a while ago. Costs just over 90 bucks. Was able to collect but I think the shipping was only a fiver anyway. It has played everything I have thrown at it so far. I have a 500GB ext HDD tied up to it and it works grand. Might not suit your needs though if you do need an actual DVD player but if it is only the flicks on an external HDD, you can't go wrong. There is a new verion of this aswell with extra whistles and bells, don't see it on their site though.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

peckerhead wrote: »
    All 250GB of it? :eek:

I bought one of these a year or two back and when it wouldn't load the contents of my 320GB 2.5" drive I assumed it was a capacity problem, or one of NTFS/FAT32 capability, so I ended up partitioning the HDD into 3 x 100GB partitions — and the player would only read one of them.

have a 1Tb connected to mine. best thing ever.

Haven't played a disc for over a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

Have a philips system with USB goning through a sony blu ray an projector. I use a mem stick 8gb and that can hold 20 tv shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭potsy86

seen one in aldi coolock yesterday 30 euro usb compatible

Advertisement