Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room size and TV size...

• 30-04-2009 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My living room is 3.1m X 3.3m ...

I'll be sitting approx 2.2m - 2.4m from the TV ....

what screen size is ideal ?

is there a formula to follow ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Well i see the formula is 2.5 times the screen size ... so 37" should be the ideal size....

but i suppose i could stretch that to 42" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

jackdaw wrote: »
    Well i see the formula is 2.5 times the screen size ... so 37" should be the ideal size....

but i suppose i could stretch that to 42" ?

Sit further back ? (LOL)

Actually its more of guide, as with most things its down to preference not what the math says.

If you want a 40"/42" (and can afford it) then get one.

>Sol

So 42" won't be way too big for a room that size ?

Na, but its close to its upper limit if your putting it in the corner.
    Next question is on the wall?
    Well I have seen 52" screens in 3.5msq rooms. That looks a bit out of place let me tell you. My current room would fit a 50" but its sheer over kill.

Still......;)

>Sol

akaSol wrote: »
    Na, but its close to its upper limit if your putting it in the corner.
    Next question is on the wall?
    Well I have seen 52" screens in 3.5msq rooms. That looks a bit out of place let me tell you. My current room would fit a 50" but its sheer over kill.

Still......;)

>Sol

its not on the wall ... but the distance is 2.2 - 2.4 meters from viewing point...
    I think 42 might be just too big for this ... 40 max ... 37 perfect...

• Advertisement

Just a cautionary note, some 37" tvs are cut down 40" Panels.
    What ever your buying look at the same series in 40" and 32" if its close to the 32"'s contrast ratio rather than the 40" it's a cut panel.
    (Actual not fracking dynamic)

>Sol

cheers!!

Its the SAMSUNG LE37B651 ... all it says for contrast ratio is ULtra contrast ... same for the 32" version...

??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It all depends on whether you want to be able to discern the extra detail available in HD or not.

You have to sit a lot closer than most people think, for your eyes to be able to resolve the detail in an HD picture:

resolution_chart.jpg
    http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Article/How-Far-Should-I-Sit.php

At 2.4m you are going to want a 50", not 42"

I was going to get a 42" for a seating distance of 2.5m before I read up on the topic, so I ended up getting a 50" plasma and am so glad I did. The wife was dead against it and thought 42' was too big for the room, so I went and ordered the 50" anyway. :rolleyes:

Once she saw it though, all objections vanished. :D

Advertisement