Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Troll Threads

Options
  • 30-04-2009 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭

I haz a thought. Yes it did hurt :pac:

[Serious]

I love a fresh thread as much as the next person.. but I hate when people jump in to answer a troll thread. I think a good way to combat troll threads would be to infract anybody who replies to a very obvious troll. Its sort of counter-productive for the moderators to not have such a rule stickified.

Seems to me that troll threads are posted for reaction... no?

any takers? :cool:

[/serious]
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

IBTL :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

An File wrote: »
    IBTL :pac:

oh fuck me. We have us a comedian :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Replies to trolls can be extremely funny at times. If it's an obvious troll thread it'll be locked fairly quickly anyway so I don't really see the harm in people giving a light-hearted reply before the inevitable lockage.

Replies to trolls can be extremely funny at times. If it's an obvious troll thread it'll be locked fairly quickly anyway so I don't really see the harm in people giving a light-hearted reply before the inevitable lockage.

Wouldnt that encourage a troll to re-reg to return and start a new thread? :confused:

But if y'all like the hunt, fair enough. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Got a better suggestion Gayle.

Why don't we all fook off to an enclosed order,take a vow of silence/celibacy and poverty and just rot away in peaceful and pleasant surroundings.

it's the internet for fcuks sake!!!!

Goin' for a crap:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Got a better suggestion Gayle.

Why don't we all fook off to an enclosed order,take a vow of silence/celibacy and poverty and just rot away in peaceful and pleasant surroundings.

it's the internet for fcuks sake!!!!

Goin' for a crap:mad:

Yes. Why don't you.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

You'd be attacking FlutterinBantam's key demographic of post-pubescent cretins who spend their days (in the callcentre/parent's house) scouring the Internet for lolcats and gutter humour.

Certainly wouldn't work on AH, although if you're talking about PI then it's not that unreasonable. Still not the best way to deal with it though, imo.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Okay, serious reply.

I think I'm correct in saying that there's a policy in PI to occasionally keep a troll thread open if it promotes discussion on a serious issue that genuine posters want to keep going. In these rare cases, trolls inadvertently bring about something positive.

On a completely different level, some of the funniest threads I've ever read (e.g. Busted Flush's "making love with my aunt" thread and that recent one about giving a random Spanish dude head) were obvious trolls that made many people happy.

Obviously there's a difference between these humourous trolls and the type that start threads just to insult/abuse people, but it would be impossible to come up with a single rule to deal with every different dubious thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I think we all sekritly love a good troll and watchin their demise

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

An File wrote: »
    Okay, serious reply.

I think I'm correct in saying that there's a policy in PI to occasionally keep a troll thread open if it promotes discussion on a serious issue that genuine posters want to keep going. In these rare cases, trolls inadvertently bring about something positive.

On a completely different level, some of the funniest threads I've ever read (e.g. Busted Flush's "making love with my aunt" thread and that recent one about giving a random Spanish dude head) were obvious trolls that made many people happy.

Obviously there's a difference between these humourous trolls and the type that start threads just to insult/abuse people, but it would be impossible to come up with a single rule to deal with every different dubious thread.

/Thread

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't like this thread, but I do like Abigayles sig though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

5starpool wrote: »
    I don't like this thread, but I do like Abigayles sig though.

Gotta say I don't disagree with you there buddy

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

You cant beat a good auld troll thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Seeing as the OP is technically a reaction to any number of troll threads, Abigayle should be infractied without delay.

Get to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

How does infracting people who reply to trolls deter future trolls? In some cases the fact its a troll is not always clear cut to people.

But I also like your sig.

Damn sig is nothin' but trouble :p

Well I guess what I had in mind was.. if people reply and infuriate a troll, I think he / she is likely to come back with the sole idea of answering back / insulting the posters that replied. Take Jackeenboy for an example. Firstly I dunno how hes not site banned... but hes an abusive troll. It was after Doc Bolloco infracted him and closed the thread, that got me thinking about those who replied.

Well thats basically what he wants no? Well I certainly wont lose any sleep over it.. was just sharing a notion :)

And Flutt, I hope you fall down the jax :p

That's what I like to hear, don't lose any sleep over it.

Wouldn't it be just great if everyone posted stuff that looked like a frikken BOI press release.:eek:

People are different, what some enjoy,others abhor,it's called interaction.

Don't let it upset you.

CuLT wrote: »
    You'd be attacking FlutterinBantam's key demographic of post-pubescent cretins who spend their days (in the callcentre/parent's house) scouring the Internet for lolcats and gutter humour.

Certainly wouldn't work on AH, although if you're talking about PI then it's not that unreasonable. Still not the best way to deal with it though, imo.

Hmmm........

Nice one,edge of the envelope stuff there on the insult front.

Be proud of that one myself in fairness.

Will the Flutther take umbrage.... of course not:D:D

Noted though

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Hmmm........

Nice one,edge of the envelope stuff there on the insult front.

Be proud of that one myself in fairness.

Will the Flutther take umbrage.... of course not:D:D

Noted though
    Oh my, if you were taking umbrage I'd actually feel a bit bad tbh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

whats a troll?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ass wrote: »
    whats a troll?
    Remember when I banned you from AH...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Terry wrote: »
    Remember when I banned you from AH...
    yeah it was completely unjustified...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

When you get down to it, seems like every thread is posted to get a reaction of one sort or another. Ergo every thread going bar the locked moderator ones fall under the OPs definition of trollage. Thing is, where does one draw the line?

When it upsets the natives, I guess.

'sides, there are enough hoops to jump through as it is.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Trolls want to infuriate people.

Nothing infuriates people more then being infracted when they are being "righteous".

Thus we would be rewarding the trolls even further and encouraging trolling.

:( Nice idea and sentiment but it wont play out that way...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Ass wrote: »
    whats a troll?

I know it's AH but this thread might qualify as being trollish

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055554629

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Abs I'm not being smart BUT you reply to a lot of trollish threads (in AH) so i have no idea what you problem is? Do you have examples of these trollish threads? I mean, if its attention seeking you're talking about then just link to what you have a problem with?....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I don't like this idea.

What about the people who troll the trolls?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

I love trolls to the extent that I was going to post a request for a troll sub-category in humour. There could be weekly competitions for the best troll or an annual vote for troll of the year maybe??? :D

Advertisement