Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

issue with loading some web pages on Mac

Options
  • 30-04-2009 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I had posted a question about this problem in the Mac section but i don't think its Mac related but rather an ISP issue. So hopefully this is the right forum..

I am having problems loading some web pages on my Mac. Mainly use Firefox 2.0.0.20 but having the same problem with Safari 1.3.2.

e.g. www.linkedin.com

Don't get an error message back - at the moment Firefox has "waiting for static.linkedin.com" in the bottom status bar. While Safari has "loading http://www.linkedin..com/ completed 1 of 3 items."

So it does not seem to be a browser issue. Broadband provider is Perlico and its wireless via a Belkin router.

For the majority of web pages I do not have any issues.

Any suggestions ?

thanks in advance
    -gm

p.s. OS X 10.3.9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

I would usually try troubleshooting ping, traceroute etc...

But try using OpenDNS:

https://www.opendns.com/start/computer/

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gallantman

Was not able to access the web page using IE on a Windows laptop on the same network.

Was able to ping the web page from the MAC
    $ ping www.linkedin.com
    PING www.linkedin.com (64.74.98.80): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 64.74.98.80: icmp_seq=0 ttl=244 time=162.3 ms

Have not use traceroute before....but have heard about OpenDNS - I'll try that if I get a chance.

Seems like however the web page is designed / constructed is not supported / or allowed by Perlico - would you agree ?

Firefox has an Error Console - when I ask it to evaluate www.linkedin.com it returns

Error: www is not defined
    Source File: javascript: www.linkedin.com

What that means I do not know!

Nothing on the Firefox error web page to explain.
    -gm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭cormon

If you are having problems across the network you could be looking at an MTU issue. This issue is usually spotted if you can acess small pages ,like google but have problem accessing big/busy pages.

google "mtu issues" and "Dr tcp" ( a tool that aids in the troubleshooting process) to help resolve the issue.

Excellent Cormon !

MTU was the issue - changed the Belkin router config from 1432 to 1492 and it worked a treat.

Had meant to change from the Belkin back to the original Perlico modem to see if it made any difference but no need to now.

thanks again....

gm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭cormon

no problem , that MTU issue is always there with webpages not loading properly
    tbh

Advertisement