Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2009 NFL Rankings.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I dunno, a few seem way off to me. I don't see Pace doing much to help a pretty shoddy Chicago Oline, Houston seem way to high. I don't see how anyone can have the Pats at one either. They have an ageing D and while they'll certainly be there or there abouts on the basis of their Offense I can't see how they can honestly be put ahead of the Steelers or the Giants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I dunno, a few seem way off to me. I don't see Pace doing much to help a pretty shoddy Chicago Oline, Houston seem way to high. I don't see how anyone can have the Pats at one either. They have an ageing D and while they'll certainly be there or there abouts on the basis of their Offense I can't see how they can honestly be put ahead of the Steelers or the Giants.

Ageing D? Did you not see all the signing the Pats took recently? Have you been asleep over the last few weeks? All the Pats need now is someone like Taylor or Peppers and their D is sorted.

Ageing D? Did you not see all the signing the Pats took recently? Have you been asleep over the last few weeks? All the Pats need now is someone like Taylor or Peppers and their D is sorted.

Like who? Brandon McGowan and his 4 tackles last year? Tully Banta Cain who's clearly a journeyman so far in his career? Shawn Springs he's a young un alright...

I knew as soon as i posted that some pats fan would get his knickers in a twist. The homerism of the pats fans on here can be amazing sometimes. I'm a die hard eagles fan and am delighted with our off season yet i'm still sane enough to put us behind the Giants, Steelers, Patriots and maybe the Colts as the season begins.

And the Jason Taylor of four years ago may sort out your D but the slow ageing Taylor of last year will do zip.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Like who? Brandon McGowan and his 4 tackles last year? Tully Banta Cain who's clearly a journeyman so far in his career? Shawn Springs he's a young un alright...

I knew as soon as i posted that some pats fan would get his knickers in a twist. The homerism of the pats fans on here can be amazing sometimes. I'm a die hard eagles fan and am delighted with our off season yet i'm still sane enough to put us behind the Giants, Steelers, Patriots and maybe the Colts as the season begins.

And the Jason Taylor of four years ago may sort out your D but the slow ageing Taylor of last year will do zip.

Good to see you ignored mentioning the Draft picks Good man. As for my knickers been in a twist nope not really just stating fact. 3 guys who could and most likely will make an impact from the draft excluding Brace are Chung, Butler and McKenzie all 3 young talented and meet the requirements the Pats need to fill. Mix that with the experience in the off season hell yes I have faith in the Pats D.

And on to Taylor you telling me as an Eagles fan you wouldnt like to see him in Philly? If you think he wont make a difference fair enough I respect your opinion but he will suit the Pats D. Slow my arse he still has a good 2 years left in him. And good to see you left out Peppers in your reply. Dont forget the Pats are still in the top choices for Peppers. So yes we meet all these requirements there is no reason why I wouldnt rank us higher than the Giants and on par with the Steelers. And as for the Colts they have problems on Defense also so yes I would put us over them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Good to see you ignored mentioning the Draft picks Good man. As for my knickers been in a twist nope not really just stating fact. 3 guys who could and most likely will make an impact from the draft excluding Brace are Chung, Butler and McKenzie all 3 young talented and meet the requirements the Pats need to fill. Mix that with the experience in the off season hell yes I have faith in the Pats D.

They've proven nothing in the nfl though so while having Brady back is great I dont how they can rank ahead of the Steelers who are SB champions. The Stealers had a solid draft and didnt really loose anyone who will make a huge dent in the team. Giants and Pats is a tough call aswell.

As for the others I really like what the Lions have done. They just signed Larry Foote aswell to a 1 year contract which tops things of for their them. Redskins D deserve a mention aswell, it has the potential to be excellent next year.

• Advertisement

And on to Taylor you telling me as an Eagles fan you wouldnt like to see him in Philly? If you think he wont make a difference fair enough I respect your opinion but he will suit the Pats D. Slow my arse he still has a good 2 years left in him. And good to see you left out Peppers in your reply. Dont forget the Pats are still in the top choices for Peppers. So yes we meet all these requirements there is no reason why I wouldnt rank us higher than the Giants and on par with the Steelers. And as for the Colts they have problems on Defense also so yes I would put us over them.

You really can't expect too much from rookies They may have the kind of impact Mayo had but the likliehood is they won't. I'm not saying the Pats D will be bad but it won't be elite that's for sure.

And yes as an Eagles fan i'm telling you i wouldn't have too much interest in Taylor. We have one of the best young linebacker corps in the league so i'd take him as depth but i wouldn't give him the cash he'll want.

I didn't ignore Peppers, it goes without saying that he would have a huge impact. But ye haven't signed him! And it'll take more than a 1st i'd imagine... the Pats will be good like I said prob top 3 but to have them number one is wrong. I just don't love their secondary this year. It's very dependent on the draft class who have barely trained with the team yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

For me, it's:

1. Steelers
    2. Patriots
    3. Eagles
    4. Giants
    5. Chargers
    6. Vikings
    7. Panthers
    8. Titans
    9. Ravens
    10. Colts
    11. Bears
    12. Cardinals
    13. Packers
    14. Cowboys
    15. Falcons
    16. Saints

There's no way you can knock the Steelers off number one as defending champs with no major losses in personnel. Patriots... well, 11-5 with a backup. Eagles jump the Giants because of the Giants' WR situation. Etc.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810536b4&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

This is why I like Pat Kirwan :D He says the same thing I say add a decent OLB to the Pats and they could easily be Number 1 with Brady back but right now without they are still biting at the Steelers heels for the top spot.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810536b4&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

This is why I like Pat Kirwan :D He says the same thing I say add a decent OLB to the Pats and they could easily be Number 1 with Brady back but right now without they are still biting at the Steelers heels for the top spot.

I'm not sure if Power rankings indicate who will make the play-offs/superbowl or just who has the best players/coaches. If it's play-off then the chargers should be higher due to their division. Also the Raiders and chiefs should be ahead of the broncos.

Power rankings = the best teams if the NFL was a Premiership style league or whatever.

Definitely not putting the Raiders or Chiefs above the Broncos though. Broncos have replaced a Pro Bowl quarterback with a lower-rung starting calibre quarterback. Which is what the Raiders have. But they have fewer question marks elsewhere as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

According to those ranking... Buccaneers are 28th?!

Best young O-Line in the league. Hot competition for the starting QB job, hell of a backfield (Derrick Ward brought in!) Bryant back at WR.

Unproven coach and defense, sure, but 28th?!

"Hot competition for the starting QB job" isn't really an asset. Another way of saying that would be "question mark at the QB position".

Karlusss wrote: »
    Power rankings = the best teams if the NFL was a Premiership style league or whatever.

Definitely not putting the Raiders or Chiefs above the Broncos though. Broncos have replaced a Pro Bowl quarterback with a lower-rung starting calibre quarterback. Which is what the Raiders have. But they have fewer question marks elsewhere as well.

I disagree, I think we are better then in most areas except offensive line and WR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kiptheyip

i think those rankings are fairly on the money. really don't agree with the pats at #1 though.
    I've a sneaking feeling Brady is going to take a few weeks to get into the groove.
    is it just me or is this year harder to predict than others?

kiptheyip wrote: »
    i think those rankings are fairly on the money. really don't agree with the pats at #1 though.
    I've a sneaking feeling Brady is going to take a few weeks to get into the groove.

Patriots not at number one wouldn't be down to Brady getting into any groove thats what the offseason is for to work on his abilities and pocket presence but he can still see and can throw a ball his knee wont affect his vision and throwing. He may be tad shaky in the pocket to start but nothing more. Our Defense will be the concern. Adding that OLB will be the key factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Well last year was easy to predict. Until Brady got injured, until plexico shot himself, until Kurt Warner came alive, until Matt Ryan became a star, until the Dolphins introduced the wildcat...

Fecking great game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

It would be nice if the writer of the article could have at least have explained his belief why we are ranked that low instead of making some snide comment about sending scouting reports to Al Davis via pigeon

Besides the only power rankings that matter are the ones in late December

To be fair, if "into the groove" is 2007 Tom Brady then they could forfeit the first three weeks and still make the playoffs.

I don't think getting back into the swing of things is going to be as big a problem as people anticipate, especially because the playoffs are conveniently placed at the end of the season rather than the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kiptheyip

i know nobody comes near brady's mental toughness. but being a whole year out of the game a come back's not going to be completely straight forward. i still think they'll make the playoffs and once there brady will win games one way or another. but i'd still have the steelers number one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Sure the Cowboys are Number 1 ! On the way to the Superbowl if you ask me !

These are all way off ! Houston ahead of Dallas....get over yourself !

• Advertisement

Het-Field wrote: »
    Sure the Cowboys are Number 1 ! On the way to the Superbowl if you ask me !

These are all way off ! Houston ahead of Dallas....get over yourself !

And then you woke up from that dream you were having :D

Advertisement