Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passed the driving test but never got a driving licence

• 30-04-2009 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi Folks,

Need to know what my options there are for a friend of mine.

Here is their problem

Five years ago they passed their driving test. They got the cert but never applied for the driving licence. There was a lot going on in their life at the time and I guess it got overlooked.

The thing is they have been driving since then with insurance. On the majority it is small trips to the train station as they get the train to work.

Luckily they have not been pulled up on this by the gardai.

Now though they wish to get the licence.

Does anyone know what steps need to be taken? Does the fact that they actually passed the test mean anything? Or do they have to go through the entire process i.e theory test, provisional, full?

The big issue here is that my friend is worried what will happen should they attempt to go down the official route. Could they be prosecuted?

Has anyone any experience of a case like this?

Any help would be really appreciated as they are very nervous about any consequences.

T

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The certificate of competency that you get on passing a test must be exchanged for a licence within two years. Your friend now has to go and possibly get a new Theory test done, but definitely needs a new learner permit, and then needs to wait six months, and then apply and pay €75 for, and pass, a driving test.

Probably not what you wanted to hear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The certificate lasts a limited period of time - I think it may be 2 years. It has since expired. Their provisional has also expired so they are in effect driving without a licence.

If they've told their insurer they're still on a provisional they aren't likely to care that much - Quinn for one covers you if you have "held or previously held" a licence in that category. If they've said they're on a full licence, they will have problems.

If its over 5 years since they passed they will actually need to do a theory test again, wait out 6 months, then do the driving test - provisionals cannot be renewed after 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

As far as i recall the certificate of competency is only valid for 2 years so your friend will have to do the test again. If your friends provisional license has been expired for more than 5 years then unfortunately they are back at square one and will have to reapply for their first learner permit after completing a theory test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The thing is they have been driving since then with insurance. On the majority it is small trips to the train station as they get the train to work.

I like this, as if it makes things better, lol.

+1 on the above though, they'll have to go through the whole thing again. Pity really. I remember getting my licence and a fella sitting beside me was going through the same thing. I wonder though, since they had a prov before, do they have to wait the six months?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stedeb

Hi
    AFAIK the cert only lasts for 2 years
    they wil have to retake
    i assume the provisional is gone out of date
    so i think it will be theory test and test again dont know how the insurance thing will work
    what have they be saying to ins company as it looks like they dont have a licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The fact that they passed their test 5 years ago means nothing, if they didn't send it off within the time limit then its worthless now.
    I assume they have no license now, so their insurance would be null and void. They would have to apply for a provisional first but as they have had a license before i dont think they would need to do the theory test, i might be worng. They should apply for the provisional asap and tell their insurance that they only have a provisional and not a full license.
    Have they never been stopped by the garda in the last 5 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I like this, as if it makes things better, lol.

+1 on the above though, they'll have to go through the whole thing again. Pity really. I remember getting my licence and a fella sitting beside me was going through the same thing. I wonder though, since they had a prov before, do they have to wait the six months?

This will all depend on whether the provisional license has been expired for 5 years or more. If so, you are back at square one, ie, you are back on a first learner permit and therefore the 6 month rule will be applicable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Senna wrote: »
    I assume they have no license now, so their insurance would be null and void
    That may not be true. Insurance companies usually ask "do you hold, or have you ever held a licence for......" etc.

A full driving licence may lapse for 10 years before the holder can be deemed to be driving without a licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That may not be true. Insurance companies usually ask "do you hold, or have you ever held a licence for......" etc.

A full driving licence may lapse for 10 years before the holder can be deemed to be driving without a licence.

But in this case he doesnt and never has held a full licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

sdonn wrote: »
    needs to wait six months

This is only relevent for people who are applying for their learner's permit for the first time, the OP would already have done the six month wait (only need to wait once), as a found out to my delight as I renewed my expired cage licence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

This will all depend on whether the provisional license has been expired for 5 years or more. If so, you are back at square one, ie, you are back on a first learner permit and therefore the 6 month rule will be applicable.
    One of me mates had a provisional 10 years ago and only got another provisional over the last few weeks. He doesnt have to wait the 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi Folks,

Need to know what my options there are for a friend of mine.

Here is their problem

Five years ago they passed their driving test. They got the cert but never applied for the driving licence. There was a lot going on in their life at the time and I guess it got overlooked.

Luckily they have not been pulled up on this by the gardai.

Now though they wish to get the licence.

Does anyone know what steps need to be taken? Does the fact that they actually passed the test mean anything? Or do they have to go through the entire process i.e theory test, provisional, full?

The big issue here is that my friend is worried what will happen should they attempt to go down the official route. Could they be prosecuted?

Has anyone any experience of a case like this?

Any help would be really appreciated as they are very nervous about any consequences.

T
    Senna wrote: »
    The fact that they passed their test 5 years ago means nothing, if they didn't send it off within the time limit then its worthless now.
    I assume they have no license now, so their insurance would be null and void. They would have to apply for a provisional first but as they have had a license before i dont think they would need to do the theory test, i might be worng. They should apply for the provisional asap and tell their insurance that they only have a provisional and not a full license.
    Have they never been stopped by the garda in the last 5 years?

Senna is correct they have no licence so they haven't had insurance since their provisional expired. They also now have to have a fully licenced driver who has had their licence for >2 years whenever they drive till they pass their test, at least they don't have to wait 6 months to get a date.

I remember an ad from years ago that most accidents happen close to home, so driving with no licence or insurance anywhere is bad no mater how short the distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I know ya said your mate was busy but surely he had 5 minutes to spare in the two years to pop in get a picture taking and then pop it in the post. Meh try get it all sorted before the insurance is up. What they dont know and all that lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

seanybiker wrote: »
    I know ya said your mate was busy but surely he had 5 minutes to spare in the two years to pop in get a picture taking and then pop it in the post. Meh try get it all sorted before the insurance is up. What they dont know and all that lol.

It's not the insurance company they have to worry about. It's the Gardai, no licence = no insurance by default, or the poor unfortunate they hit they have to worry about. And they don't even have an expired licence to fall back on as they only had a provisional and they expire after 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Buffman

As has been said above, your 'friend' now has no licence at all, and can expect a fine if brought to court.

He/she will have to apply for a new learners permit, but will not have to wait 6 months before taking another test.

I take it he/she can actually drive since they passed the test, so they should get it sorted asap.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Stekelly wrote: »
    But in this case he doesnt and never has held a full licence.
    Yes, of course!! My brain wasn't switched on. :o

(I must have been thinking of a lapsed licence.)

Advertisement