Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookie right or wrong?

Options
  • 30-04-2009 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Want to put this question out there and get opinions?. i placed a big bet on a horse last week in one of the big betting chains. i put down the bet and 5 minutes before the race started i noticed the horse drifting from even money in the market and the 2nd favourite started coming down in price so i went up to counter and said to clerk i was chickening out of bet and looked for bobs back ( this now couple of mins b4 race ever began).your man says to me that it wasnt possible to get bobs back bcoz i put a price on docket and that meant the docket was fixed or locked in?.is he right in saying that?.he said that if i had no price on docket i could have got my money back before the off. Needless to say the donkey is still running and i wouldnt be asking the question if he had won but i did feel in the end i was forced to carry on with the bet even after i changed my mind and this before the race even begun. Thoughts anyone?. and before anyone says it , its not sour grapes.Was the bookie correct in refusing me bobs back before the race went off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

I did this once. I backed a horse at a morning price of 5/1 with Boyles. Then I saw that it was 7/1 with Powers (not too far away). I asked could I withdraw it and they said they didn't have to but would in my case (this was only a few minutes after i struck it and there were still hours to go).

I think it fair the bookie refused your request tbh. If you allowed punters to withdraw bets because the price drifted after they took a price you'd have no end of people trying to take back bets - and then placing them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭anti chris-t

[/quote] If you allowed punters to withdraw bets because the price drifted after they took a price you'd have no end of people trying to take back bets - and then placing them again.[/quote]

Exactly it would defeat the whole purpose of the bookie offering a morning price and a starting price

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Bookie most definitely correct in this case - especially with it being so soon before the actual race starts....did the 2nd fav win lol :)

Brgds
    Johnny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Yeah 2nd fav won alright at 9/4. if i was thinkin clear i should have covered the bet by backing 2nd fav also , was $hitten it though coz i'd have been down a packet if both had lost. We live and learn though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭stevood

when placing a bet, you are entering a contract and when the terms of the contract change ie the price, you are unable to withdraw from the contract. If the price was the same, you probably would hae been ok hence the guy saying if you had no price you could cancel..

Used to work in a books

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The bookie was right - once you place a bet the bookie is not entitled to give you your money back if you change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Bookie was well within his rights alright but l think in certain cases like when a horse breaks loose and runs around the track for 10minutes punters should be allowed to change their mind and cancell their bet.
    Or when a horses gets worked up at the start of a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

What bookies was it and what was the cashier behind the counter like, young/old, polite/ignorant...etc

Advertisement