Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any point making a complaint ?

• 01-05-2009 12:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty damn furious at Dublin Bus. I get the 76(a/b/c) into college from Blanch to Ballyfermot. Theres only a couple of buses throughout the morning. One at 8:10 and one at 09:40.

My stop (Hartstown) is maybe 5 stops at most from the where the 76 begins its journey (Shopping Center). So its really easy (in theory) to tell what time it will be at my stop - it usually arrives at 9:45. I always get there early though just to be safe as if I miss it Ive to get the 39 into town and another bus to Ballyfermot which takes almost 2 hours.

On Wed I got to the bus stop at 09:40 (it should only be leaving the shopping center at this time). I waited until 10:00 and the bus didnt show. So it was either really early or super later - I didnt wait around to find out and ended up getting a 39.

On Thur I got there at 9:35 and waited until 10:15. 40 ****ing minutes. There is absolutely no traffic on the road at that time so that means the driver didnt leave begin the journey until around 10:10, a full half hour after the scheduled time. This kind of thing doesnt usually matter too much on normal routes as there are plenty of buses, but when theres only 2 buses on a route in the morning, its bloodying annoying. A woman who had been waiting the entire time started giving out to the driver but he didnt seem to speak English.

Is there any point in complaining ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

theres always no harm in complaining, in one way i see your point of no traffic around that area but what about the traffic from ballyfermot to blanch. if the bus made that run to make the 09.40 heres where the problem could lie. but the " driver didn't seem to speak english" is a bit o.t.t. yesterday i was shopping in my local dunnes and it made me sick with what i witnessed. i'm in the Q. checkouts all pretty full. an elderly gentleman stands beside me asks, i hope she not one of those , i said one one of what ,he said a foreigner they rob you blind.( referring to the checkout operator) then he walks off to a longer Q. I've no time for that sort of thing.
    it doesn't matter who's dealing with you, please show a bit of respect.
    all you have to do is ring the garage ask where the 09.40 from blanch has been on each day or better still, have speed dial to the garage in your phone as alot of posters here have. when you get to the stop ,ring the garage ask if the 09.40 will be operating on time. most of the time the controller will call the bus to ask his location while the customer is on the phone. if it's on time fair enough ,if not then you have your options. heres a link to the 76b timetable.
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/76b/
    a number of things for you here
    (1)Ballyfermot / Blanchardstown to Balrothery
    Operative Date: 27/04/2009
    (2)All times are off peak estimates.
    (3)Depot: Conyngham Road | Depot No.: 01-7032172
    (4) it looks more likely the bus came from the garage to do the 09.40 and if this is the case it's probably down to how much time they have to get from Conyngham Road to blanch.
    for future reference please state the exact route, i was looking at the 76 for a while as you stated this was the route, but in fact it's the 76b, it's like comparing the 27's and 27b's.
    hope this is of some help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Tusky wrote: »
    Pretty damn furious at Dublin Bus. I get the 76(a/b/c) into college from Blanch to Ballyfermot. Theres only a couple of buses throughout the morning. One at 8:10 and one at 09:40.

My stop (Hartstown) is maybe 5 stops at most from the where the 76 begins its journey (Shopping Center). So its really easy (in theory) to tell what time it will be at my stop - it usually arrives at 9:45. I always get there early though just to be safe as if I miss it Ive to get the 39 into town and another bus to Ballyfermot which takes almost 2 hours.

On Wed I got to the bus stop at 09:40 (it should only be leaving the shopping center at this time). I waited until 10:00 and the bus didnt show. So it was either really early or super later - I didnt wait around to find out and ended up getting a 39.

On Thur I got there at 9:35 and waited until 10:15. 40 ****ing minutes. There is absolutely no traffic on the road at that time so that means the driver didnt leave begin the journey until around 10:10, a full half hour after the scheduled time. This kind of thing doesnt usually matter too much on normal routes as there are plenty of buses, but when theres only 2 buses on a route in the morning, its bloodying annoying. A woman who had been waiting the entire time started giving out to the driver but he didnt seem to speak English.

Isn't the Hartstown depot where they are having the unofficial strike? That's probably why the buses aren't on time or running at all. I think some of the drivers are picketing the depot and it's turned a bit nasty with stones being thrown (which seems a bit childish but fits in perfectly to the mob mentality) iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

Isn't the Hartstown depot where they are having the unofficial strike?.

Eh, no that's HARRISTOWN (and the 'strike' ended days ago). Hartstown is a housing area in Blanchardstown.

they all have their own timetables e.g. it's not like the 42a/b or the 39a/b/c.
    76 is seperate from the 76a and these two are seperate from the 76b.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The 76/76A/76B operate from Conyngham Road. It's always worth carrying the garage phone number in your mobile. If the bus appears to be a no-show then you can call the garage and ask to speak to the controller for that route who should be able to advise you where the bus is.

The number for Conyngham Road depot is 01-7032172.

Both of those buses do a journey from Tallaght beforehand, the bus that operates the 0810 departure operates from Fettercairn at 0640 and the bus that operates the 0940 would have left Fettercairn at 0800. It's possible that there may have been an accident or traffic problem en route on the northbound journey causing your bus to be late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

bazzer wrote: »
    Eh, no that's HARRISTOWN (and the 'strike' ended days ago). Hartstown is a housing area in Blanchardstown.

Ah, OK. Currently my current affairs knowledge is not very current. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

but the " driver didn't seem to speak english" is a bit o.t.t.

Eh, why is it over the top ? I would be angry and wanting to make a complaint if the guy was Irish/English/Nigerian/Indian - his country of origin is of no importance to me. However, the fact that he didnt speak English is relevant to the story. The woman was trying to get an answer out of him as to why he was late and he couldnt give her one as he didnt seem to speak English. How is simply mentioning that over the top ? Political correctness gone mad.
    yesterday i was shopping in my local dunnes and it made me sick with what i witnessed. i'm in the Q. checkouts all pretty full. an elderly gentleman stands beside me asks, i hope she not one of those , i said one one of what ,he said a foreigner they rob you blind.( referring to the checkout operator) then he walks off to a longer Q. I've no time for that sort of thing.

And this is relevant why ? That guy sounds like an ignorant racist...are you comparing me to him for some unknown reason ?
    it doesn't matter who's dealing with you, please show a bit of respect.

Ok, thanks for the tip. Youre post has really ticked me off. You are making all sorts of assumptions based on very little.

Thanks to all the other posters - gonna give them a ring tomorrow and I'll let yea know what they tell me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Its always worth complaining, otherwise how will anyone ever know if there is a problem,

Having said that I complained or tried to about a route local to me and didn't make much headway. In that case it was potentially 45-1hour mins wait as buses just didnt seem to turn up and then 45 min journey

I'd be more inclined to get a moped than do 2 hour journeys myself.

I would be angry and wanting to make a complaint if the guy was Irish/English/Nigerian/Indian - his country of origin is of no importance to me. However, the fact that he didnt speak English is relevant to the story. The woman was trying to get an answer out of him as to why he was late and he couldnt give her one as he didnt seem to speak English. How is simply mentioning that over the top ?
    ahhhhhhhh now we're getting to the bottom of this as to why his poor english was mentioned
    I would be angry and wanting to make a complaint if the guy was Irish/English/Nigerian/Indian - his country of origin is of no importance to me.
    we dont do complaints, all complaints are either done through the garage or at head office
    The woman was trying to get an answer out of him as to why he was late and he couldnt give her one as he didnt seem to speak English.
    without having a go at you , i wouldn't expect this from my supervisor let alone a passenger. please folks without being rude to any of you we dont have to explain why we're running late and i am actually disgusted at this. alot of you seem to think this but this is far from the case.if you have a problem about buses running late you ring the depot and ask for someone thats in authority. we only answer to our supervisors. while some drivers might not have a problem with answering this, alot of others would.
    jasus man just look around , you'll see traffic jams everywhere, look at alot of posts that have been made by alot of drivers about the lack of running time. as i said before we dont have a magic wand to make traffic disappear or to part it. we're only there to get you from A to B nothing more.
    ohhhhh i give up on you guys.
    if it's late again just ring the depot please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think the whole thing of the 76a is the running time is just too unrealistic. It goes around the world (a bit like the 220). I've often waited two hours on that bus from Blanchardstown Centre. Just keep ringing the depot, the more times you ring when it is late the more they'll realise that there's a problem...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

ahhhhhhhh now we're getting to the bottom of this as to why his poor english was mentioned

we dont do complaints, all complaints are either done through the garage or at head office

without having a go at you , i wouldn't expect this from my supervisor let alone a passenger. please folks without being rude to any of you we dont have to explain why we're running late and i am actually disgusted at this. alot of you seem to think this but this is far from the case.if you have a problem about buses running late you ring the depot and ask for someone thats in authority. we only answer to our supervisors. while some drivers might not have a problem with answering this, alot of others would.
    jasus man just look around , you'll see traffic jams everywhere, look at alot of posts that have been made by alot of drivers about the lack of running time. as i said before we dont have a magic wand to make traffic disappear or to part it. we're only there to get you from A to B nothing more.

Are you having a laugh?! Your attitude is precisely whats wrong with dublin bus and why the majority of the public have no sympathy for you whatsoever when you chaps go on strike at the drop of a hat.

What on earth do you mean do you dont have to answer.. or you wouldnt expect that from your supervisor?! Well actually seen as your supervisors are probably an imcompetant shower of jokers, (as so many bus drivers on boards seem to point out). There is so, so many things wrong with that post so il try to start somewhere...

So you think customers instead of askin you, the driver behind the wheel of the bus, why you are late, a customer should instead try and find out the depots number, presumeably off 11811 or the like (seen as you more than likely wont tell them!) at their expense, then the person of authority will presumeably have to contact YOU the driver to find out why YOU are late, then relay that back the customer sitting on YOUR bus... Yes what an efficient use of time and energy for everyone involved.

I dont know whats in your employee handbook but i would have thought that logically your job involves some form of customer service and the LEAST you can do have the decency to politely explain why your CUSTOMERS have been let down by the service you provide, whether it because of traffic or whatever, and even if it isnt use your cop on and show a bit of decency and explain yourself. Honestly it is absolutely enraging when confronted with that kind of unhelpfullness which you obviously display day to day in your job.

Any other posters may be interested to know that if you wish to make a complaint regarding a driver they are required to give you their name when requested, so your Ringsend depot says anyway;)

Oh and you give up on us guys...?! Please do and perhaps find yourself another vocation so somebody with an iota of a clue what customer service means can take your place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

Meanmachine, do you have any idea of how that sounds? Why are you even driving a bus?

Thankfully, not all drivers are like that. I've been on buses where the driver has apologised for bad traffic etc., of course people know it's not the bus drivers fault, but communication is the key here. Do Dublin Bus do any customer service courses with their drivers? I ask this as there are sometimes big signs on the drivers door as you enter saying Dublin Bus is customer focused etc. The idea that you refuse to communicate the most basic information to passengers, who have waited for your service, is just crazy and questions the whole customer focus programme Dublin Bus seem to have.

If you compare the above quote by meanmachine to an experience on The Luas, you will see a big difference. If a tram is stopped for more than 30 seconds the driver informs passengers about the problem, even if they're not sure of why there is a delay. The Luas driver's job is also to get people from A to B, but they realise that they can make that experience a bit more positive and let people leave the tram knowing that they, the customer, are actually cared about.

On the topic of the 76/A/B, the driver doesn't always display the correct number or destination. Even though it might appear on the 76B timetable, it could display 76 or 76A if it's only going to The Square as most buses do. Follow the advice given and ring the depot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Eh, why is it over the top ? I would be angry and wanting to make a complaint if the guy was Irish/English/Nigerian/Indian - his country of origin is of no importance to me. However, the fact that he didnt speak English is relevant to the story. The woman was trying to get an answer out of him as to why he was late and he couldnt give her one as he didnt seem to speak English. How is simply mentioning that over the top ? Political correctness gone mad.

I highly doubt the driver didn't speak English. All drivers under go a English test in the training school before being let deal with the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

A woman who had been waiting the entire time started giving out to the driver but he didnt seem to speak English.

I presume by giving out to him, you mean she was rude to him (if not, than disregard the rest). In this case I can understand the driver not answering to her. No one should be obliged to. answer someone who is rude to him

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Are you having a laugh?! Your attitude is precisely whats wrong with dublin bus and why the majority of the public have no sympathy for you whatsoever when you chaps go on strike at the drop of a hat.

What on earth do you mean do you dont have to answer.. or you wouldnt expect that from your supervisor?! Well actually seen as your supervisors are probably an imcompetant shower of jokers, (as so many bus drivers on boards seem to point out). There is so, so many things wrong with that post so il try to start somewhere...

So you think customers instead of askin you, the driver behind the wheel of the bus, why you are late, a customer should instead try and find out the depots number, presumeably off 11811 or the like (seen as you more than likely wont tell them!) at their expense, then the person of authority will presumeably have to contact YOU the driver to find out why YOU are late, then relay that back the customer sitting on YOUR bus... Yes what an efficient use of time and energy for everyone involved.

I dont know whats in your employee handbook but i would have thought that logically your job involves some form of customer service and the LEAST you can do have the decency to politely explain why your CUSTOMERS have been let down by the service you provide, whether it because of traffic or whatever, and even if it isnt use your cop on and show a bit of decency and explain yourself. Honestly it is absolutely enraging when confronted with that kind of unhelpfullness which you obviously display day to day in your job.

Any other posters may be interested to know that if you wish to make a complaint regarding a driver they are required to give you their name when requested, so your Ringsend depot says anyway;)

Oh and you give up on us guys...?! Please do and perhaps find yourself another vocation so somebody with an iota of a clue what customer service means can take your place.
    ok i do understand that i dont come across as being the best driver or most courtious however my track record is well proven in D.B. without quoting this ,that and the other i'll try and explain a few things from a drivers point of view.
    there are some supervisors that have a go at us for being late or ask in a snottty mannner " what kept you" etc. now the big question " why are you late", as was pointed out by the o.p. "A woman who had been waiting the entire time started giving out to the driver " so you think it's alright for anyone to have a go at the driver just because they're late. i didn't say this by the way the O.P. did.i treat the passengers the same way i'm treated ,no different. if your nice and polite i'll risk getting my ass kicked to help you out, however if your just down right pig ignorant and demanding then you can piss off and kiss my hairy little ass.

i've often been called and asked for a traffic update by my supervisor and i've always answered with no hesitation. in most cases my supervisors know the problems out there and would never ask what kept me. now bear in mind theres a hell of a idfference between traffic update and what kept you.
    i'll make this as short as possible, the only contact we can have with passengers is at bus stops ,nowhere else.
    i deal with hureds of passengers everyday , i personally cant tell everyone one of the delays and explain myself ,it's just near impossiable and if i did by the end of the day i'd have no voice.
    givyjoe81 wrote: »
    jasus christ man what are you trying to do here, start a bloody war.
    we do not have to give our names to anyone except a guard or supervisor. the only thing we give is our staff number and the bus i.d. number.
    thats all ,nothing more if a complaint is to be made. i'm not annoyed here, it's just someone has given you false information and i'm afraid of the consequences if someone reads that from your quote and tries that with a driver, demanding their name, please folks if your ever going to take in something i write please take this one in. we do not have to give our name except to a guard and a supervisor. i've done people favours and been complimented on many things then been asked for my name and i've still refused to give it.

miniD
    the customer service went out the door when management started taking the piss with us. i've posted somewhere what they're doing us for, heres just a few quick ones, we're being done for
    issueing fares when bus has pulled away from stop,big time on opening doors after bus has pulled away from stop, helping passengers with the queries after bus has pulled away from stop. the list goes on , in fact it's endless. now i know H/O. read these and i'm asking them to come on here and deny what i've said is true.
    the big problems i face is lack of running time. the company know this, management know this, inspectors know this damn everyone knows but no ones willing to do anything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭daheff

, heres just a few quick ones, we're being done for

issueing fares when bus has pulled away from stop,

maybe this is because it is dangerous to drive a bus when your full attention is not on driving it?

daheff wrote: »
    maybe this is because it is dangerous to drive a bus when your full attention is not on driving it?
    correct. when a passenger boarded and started looking for change the driver used to drive the bus in a slow manner just to get away from the stop and when the change was put into the autofare the driver would issue a ticket. this was all done to save time.one minute is a long time to be waiting for a passenger to get their change out. but now we cant do this anymore. i'm sure alot of you are familar with this type of thing. so from now on if someone is rummaging for change we have to wait at the stop till we issue the ticket. this is where problems start to arise. by the time the ticket is issued we have someone else banging on the doors to get on and so on and so forth. all you have to do is take a moment at any busy bus stop to see this.
    i know we are heading away from the o.p.'s original topic. but to answer his question.
    yes there is a point in complaining, the more complaints that go in the more it works out for us because sooner or later something will have to be done about the running times or better still get onto your local T.D.'s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

ok i do understand that i dont come across as being the best driver or most courtious however my track record is well proven in D.B. without quoting this ,that and the other i'll try and explain a few things from a drivers point of view.
    there are some supervisors that have a go at us for being late or ask in a snottty mannner " what kept you" etc. now the big question " why are you late", as was pointed out by the o.p. "A woman who had been waiting the entire time started giving out to the driver " so you think it's alright for anyone to have a go at the driver just because they're late. i didn't say this by the way the O.P. did.i treat the passengers the same way i'm treated ,no different. if your nice and polite i'll risk getting my ass kicked to help you out, however if your just down right pig ignorant and demanding then you can piss off and kiss my hairy little ass.

i've often been called and asked for a traffic update by my supervisor and i've always answered with no hesitation. in most cases my supervisors know the problems out there and would never ask what kept me. now bear in mind theres a hell of a idfference between traffic update and what kept you.
    i'll make this as short as possible, the only contact we can have with passengers is at bus stops ,nowhere else.
    i deal with hureds of passengers everyday , i personally cant tell everyone one of the delays and explain myself ,it's just near impossiable and if i did by the end of the day i'd have no voice.

jasus christ man what are you trying to do here, start a bloody war.
    we do not have to give our names to anyone except a guard or supervisor. the only thing we give is our staff number and the bus i.d. number.
    thats all ,nothing more if a complaint is to be made. i'm not annoyed here, it's just someone has given you false information and i'm afraid of the consequences if someone reads that from your quote and tries that with a driver, demanding their name, please folks if your ever going to take in something i write please take this one in. we do not have to give our name except to a guard and a supervisor. i've done people favours and been complimented on many things then been asked for my name and i've still refused to give it.

miniD
    the customer service went out the door when management started taking the piss with us. i've posted somewhere what they're doing us for, heres just a few quick ones, we're being done for
    issueing fares when bus has pulled away from stop,big time on opening doors after bus has pulled away from stop, helping passengers with the queries after bus has pulled away from stop. the list goes on , in fact it's endless. now i know H/O. read these and i'm asking them to come on here and deny what i've said is true.
    the big problems i face is lack of running time. the company know this, management know this, inspectors know this damn everyone knows but no ones willing to do anything about it.

No not trying to start a war but thats genuinely what i was told by a guy in the depot when making a complaint about some astonishingly poor customer service by a delightful driver on the 50 route, he said if you wish to make a complaint about a driver, ask for their name, they are required to give it to you. It seemed to be an aboslute mountain to climb for this guy in the depot to id the driver without his name being quoted by myself.

Im glad you acknowledged how poorly you came across, but i do understand how people can be taken up wrong here sometimes, its harder and takes longer to explain yourself in plain black and white text.

Still man, in any customer service job you dont get to choose whether to be helpful to the customer or not based on how nice they are to YOU, its your job to be help them regardless of their demeanor aside from being abusive of course. Also difficult customers 'giving' out to you justifiably ,if even not your fault, does NOT constitute a reason to pull up the shutters and refuse to give out information.

Advertisement